Dynasoar Rocketry RC Rocket glider kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a pre order kit only since everything used was custom for this kit only and I couldn't afford to be stuck with parts and decals I can't re use, I'd need 10 or more confirmed orders to do another run. I did 30 kits and then the market seemed to be satisfied.

I wanted to inform everyone that the Aerotech single use E-6PT RC motors that I carry are now formally listed on the combined certified motor list under the Aerotech name, there were initial questions about whether the apogee motor cert covered them as aerotech is the oem for these identical motors, and John Lyngdal was instrumental in getting these formally listed so that there was no question.

Here's another custom kit I did for a customer, a Jonny Quest Dragonfly III, basicaly I upsized the wing chord and moved the wing/scoop forward till CG was optimum. Turned out really nice with plenty of authority to flare and plop it down without any damage to the belly scoop. 10.5 oz rtf, 26" wingspan, 2" diameter, 34" long. elevon RC control.

IMG_20181009_115801554.jpg IMG_20181009_115832177.jpg IMG_20181009_115842958.jpg

Ernie Miller got a great video of Ken Herrick's Dynasoar RokitStik biplane kit in action! I didn't release this as a general kit, I produced a prototype and one beta kit, but Ken convinced me to send him one...

Ernie Miller got a great video of Ken Herrick's Dynasoar RokitStik biplane kit in action! I didn't release this as a general kit, I produced a prototype and one beta kit, but Ken convinced me to send him one...

Too cool. How about putting together a parts kit for those of us with RokitStik still in the build queue?

I can still do a full kit of the rokitstik if interested, all the instructions are online. I just didn't think the it would be that popular as the biplane since it's more draggy and glides are shorter. I finally settled on the Iron Cross design which has a longer glide time. You can p.m. me if you're interested in a kit of the biplane.

Frank

Too cool. How about putting together a parts kit for those of us with RokitStik still in the build queue?

Last edited:
Hi All, I went to re-stock tubes/cones from Estes for the Aurora Clipper kit and got the below reply. It is very hard to keep prices and designs consistent without inexpensive tubing and lightweight inexpensive cones. There is no other option that is even close in terms of size, weight and price range, I have no more sets of tubes/cones for this kit, so I'll have to discontinue it and won't be able to do any 2" based designs with the longer cone. I've had a supply of these tubes for 3 years but this will be it.

I will still be able to do my other three BT-80 based kits, the BT-80 tubing/cones are actually lighter in any case. There is not a pointy nose version for BT-80 that meets the price/weight, so I'll stick with the PNC-80BB

Mr. Burke. Thank you for your web contact regarding your request for PSII parts. Unfortunately, Estes hasn’t had a parts department in over 10 years so all piece/parts I use for warranty replacement come from damaged or defective kits provided to me from our warehouse. Given that most of the PSII builder kits were discontinued, the few remaining parts had been sent out for warranty replacement some time ago and about all I have available is what you see on line.

I’m sorry we could not be more helpful at this time.

Regards,

Mike Fritz

Estes Industries

Last edited:
I flew the StratoDart 3 times last Saturday with a crash on the 3rd flight, which I will get to in a minute. My daughter took video with her cell phone, so portions of the flights are blurry. The video for the first and second flights taken at the UROC Frank Hunt Field on 10-20-2018 are here:

I had some trouble with the second flight, because the glider seemed to be nose heavy (a fellow rocketeer with R/C plane experience noticed it, too), in fact just before touchdown I needed full up-elevon in order to avert a crash. The glider was far away from the flight line, so I am wondering if the transmitter was having a distance problem. However, the other thing to consider is that I was changing motors in the Strato-Dart during the day, but I never replaced the battery. The battery is a single-cell Eflite 1S 3.7V 500mAh (25C). Also, the glider can sit on the pad at the Club Launch with the rcx turned on for a period of time awaiting launch. On the 3rd launch the glider took a steep dive towards the ground, within maybe 2 or 3 seconds after launch from which I couldn't control a recovery. Should I be replacing the battery after every launch?

I have done 6-10 flights on a single charge, but I don't have a really long wait to fly. My charger tells me exactly how much I put in and take out, most I've ever put back in is 120mah with the same battery. I do unplug it between flights.

For the nose heaviness, there is no magic, check the balance with motor and battery, make sure it is as recommended. If you forget to switch in your glide trim after boost it will act nose heavy because it is, but unless something got damaged it should not change from flight to flight and should not suddenly dive under boost, that sounds like a radio or battery issue most likely. The videos are too far away for me to tell much. Can you do a video showing your control throws and boost and glide trim settings?

Make sure to check balance, the included weight is not required most of the time in my kits, it's there if you need it.

The second flight on a larger screen looked fine, but you are so far away I don't know how you see to control it, you really should ask to move the pad in closer or walk out closer to the pad for the launch.....I looked at Bob's third flight video and it looks like it maybe catches something on boost off the rail then pitches back toward the tail and starts to roll, I'm thinking something, a servo might have come loose.

Frank and I were discussing this off-line. I found that one of the control horns has pulled away from the elevon surface. I recall now that after the first or the second flight that I unknowingly left the transmitter D-switch "on". Later, when I powered up the Strato Dart on the pad, I saw that the elevons were not straight. I got impatient and tried bending the elevons to make them straight. Then I realized that the D-switch was still "on" for the glide trim. I turned the switch off, but by then I may have started the control horn(s) to work loose until a the Dart acted squirrelly on the third flight.

So, the StratoDart will live to glide another day. I cut off the bad section of body tube and put on a new nose cone. (I accidentally cut the new BT an inch short so I had to add an inch. I did not have a coupler tube readily available, so I made a coupler from the regular tube.) The extension wires coming from the servo's are a little short, so I built a hatch to access them. Actually, when I have crashes (that should be a no-no), the battery slides forward and pulls the extension wires out. I covered the hatch with label paper. If I have another mishap, I can just pull off the label paper and reconnect the extension wires. I don't think that the repairs added very much weight.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 113
The length isn't critical, it was sized to give a cg without too much nose weight, you could have left it short and just used a few more grams of weight. But it looks good anyway.

Went over to George Rachors TARC field today and 50 degrees, no wind, weather in Oregon was perfect, got two nice flights in of my new Mig 10 kit, a cross between the old Centuri Mach 10 and a Mig 15, so called it the Mig 10:)

Also, the glider can sit on the pad at the Club Launch with the rcx turned on for a period of time awaiting launch. On the 3rd launch the glider took a steep dive towards the ground, within maybe 2 or 3 seconds after launch from which I couldn't control a recovery. Should I be replacing the battery after every launch?
The good thing about rocketry is that you get to decide what needs doing for a successful flight. Comparison with someone else's setup is not necessarily apples vs apples.

I'm not really sure the point of your posting. Bob was trying to debug an issue with a kit I designed and comparing to what I as the designer use and fly is exactly the comparison you want to do. It turns out I think he had a combination of a possible dead battery and/or a pulled loose control horn.

Frank

The good thing about rocketry is that you get to decide what needs doing for a successful flight. Comparison with someone else's setup is not necessarily apples vs apples.

I'm not really sure the point of your posting. Bob was trying to debug an issue with a kit I designed and comparing to what I as the designer use and fly is exactly the comparison you want to do. It turns out I think he had a combination of a possible dead battery and/or a pulled loose control horn.
I guess I was just making the point that comparing one setup with another, possibly remarkably identical setup, is never an exact comparison. There can be things like comparing one which has a perfectly good new LiPo and saying it is fine to leave it in place in another rocket which might have a slightly older and less capacity battery. Rockets can sit on the rails for different times at different clubs also. Lots of variables. Even though on the surface they are "identical" their situations are definitely not. It is up to the flyer to determine if their craft is safe to fly, and asking if somebody else has a similar setup only goes a little way towards answering the question of is it good to fly. YMMV.

Nice model BTW. Love it :cool:.

Last edited:
A good guy to go with the Iron Cross Bad guy....the Peashooter......themed on inter-war us army air corps designs but updated for rocket boost.

IMG_20181213_150607585.jpg

i am mentally building one of your kits to fpv it. the camera and tx weigh 8.1 grams would that amount of weight on the nose of one of your design or maybe suggest a design that would work the best with the added weight thanks

The kits are designed and the spec weight assumes a 7 gram receiver, 15 gram battery and 0-14 grams in the nose for proper cg, you may be fine, or need a little tail weight to compensate. Or you could do a hatch near the cg and move the battery back a bit as well. The orbital transporter has a light weight and large wing combination to carry a bit more weight.

i am mentally building one of your kits to fpv it. the camera and tx weigh 8.1 grams would that amount of weight on the nose of one of your design or maybe suggest a design that would work the best with the added weight thanks

Build video for the Stratodart X:

Summary, I like it. Flight video will be released in a few days.

Back