Dynasoar Rocketry RC Rocket glider kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did not get any pictures, but flew my venerable Dynasoar Rocketry X-15 at the DARS launch on Saturday...great flight on an E6 and an excellent landing.

Also flew my Black Horse space plane on a D2.3, the profile Douglas Skyflash on a E-6 and the profile SA-14 Archer gliding rocket on an E6.

A great day for rocket gliders!

Update: Mark at stickershock was nice enough to allow me to include a 30% off coupon for vinyl decals for any Dynasoar kit purchased through December 20th!

Frank

Had a brief spurt of good weather in Oregon, and George Rachor invited me over to his place to launch while one of the local TARC teams was there, got in a few nice flights of the new StratoDart, and the white version of my updated Hypersonic III.

[video=youtube;GuYq_rYw9h0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuYq_rYw9h0[/video]
[video=youtube;I3SZ9plk6Xw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3SZ9plk6Xw[/video]
[video=youtube;_5kiEh2lX1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5kiEh2lX1s[/video]

Last edited:
Frank, that's a nice flight on the Strato Darts with nice spirals on the way up. I got my Strato Dart yesterday. One end of the shipping box was crumpled. However, I opened the box today and everything looks fine. Your way of securing parts inside the box probably helped, especially during this Christmas shipping season. I'm just guessing, but I think that this model will be fairly easy to put together.

My new R/C transmitter came yesterday, too. It looks like the Spektrum dx6i is being discontinued, so I got a dx6e instead.

Thanks! I think you'll be happy with the 6e, it has some nice features.
Glad the kit got there ok.

Frank

Frank, that's a nice flight on the Strato Darts with nice spirals on the way up. I got my Strato Dart yesterday. One end of the shipping box was crumpled. However, I opened the box today and everything looks fine. Your way of securing parts inside the box probably helped, especially during this Christmas shipping season. I'm just guessing, but I think that this model will be fairly easy to put together.

My new R/C transmitter came yesterday, too. It looks like the Spektrum dx6i is being discontinued, so I got a dx6e instead.

I've been experimenting with some other foams as I get to the end of my depron stash, so far no luck, model plane foam(mpf and xps) have a much varied thickness, the surface is very soft and they are really floppy. I tried cellfoam 88 which is stiffer, cuts more like depron, but it snaps really easily, ie doesn't seem as strong. Search continues. I would not build a model out of them at least the way I've been building them currently. I've ordered some of the flite test waterproof foam board to try out, we'll see how it works and how well it glues, paints etc, only downside is that it is brown so will need painting.

Frank

Last edited:
Hi all, I've just completed test flights and instructions for the latest kit and probably the last new one I'll be able to produce for a while until I can find a good alternate foam replacement. I have enough parts for about 10-12 of these kits.

Instructions at: https://www.dynasoarrocketry.com/wolverine-instructions.html

The Wolverine is based loosely on the old Estes Wolverine rocket, this has a heavy duty 3" tube body, through the body wing and tail and elevon control. 11 oz rtf for the venerable 24mm E-6RC rocket motor. Comes with tube already slotted, wing and tail spars installed and control surfaces hinged. 25" long, 32" wingspan. Stickershock did a great set of decals for me, I added just the tail and wingtip accents and the little black wing walk portions myself.

This design is similar to my Mach 2 kit, but by using a smaller tube, mid mounting the wing and removing the T-tail I was able to make the construction simpler and stronger and it will now fit it into my regular shipping boxes.

Construction is simple, unfold and glue the wing, install the small spar, insert the wing and glue in place. Glue the vertical stab in place, insert and glue in the pre-assembled motor mount and install the electronics and balance. As normal, rail buttons are included as standard unless you want a launch lug. Rail buttons are mounted slightly to the side so that they do not get caught on anything when belly landing.

Hope you all have a great holiday, it's been great fun creating these kits for you all and hope you are having as much flying them as i am.

WolveringKitCard.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a video I made assembling the second prototype so you can see how easily it goes together.

[video=youtube;tbXZbADmVy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbXZbADmVy4[/video]

Here's the video from this morning, it was raining a bit, buy my daughter held the umbrella and video taped and I flew, second flight, I had a bit too much tape holding the igniter in and it yanked the controller wires with it for the first 20 feet

[video=youtube;lNI6g908GvY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI6g908GvY[/video]

It was really too windy in November for me to launch a glider at our club launch site. I am thinking that I need to take a mix of ballistic rockets and gliders from now on, rather than all gliders. If it's too windy I need to cut back on go-fever and fly ballistic models. In any case in November my SR-71 went into a stall and hit hard. Actually, it had hit hard on several previous flights, but this time the nose broke. I found that I have plenty of scrap 6 mm depron in my inventory and so I made repairs. I used "eye-balling" and a previous SR-71 pattern to make a new nose. I should have looked closer, because I realize now that the upper and lower fuselage profile nose went almost all the way to the tip. In any case it looks I just need to paint and it will fly again.

IMG_3970.jpg IMG_3972.jpg IMG_3975.jpg IMG_3976.jpgIMG_3977.jpg

Bob, I think it will be ok, however in my kits, I provided a .04 styrene nose piece that reinforced the bottom front of the nose to help protect against landing damage, you may consider doing that.

Frank

I got out and managed to maiden my other two prototypes of the Wolverine inbetween the rain squalls, flew exactly like the first one, with nearly identical glide/trim settings. I also flew the first one with a pusher electric motor and it flew really nicely. The only downside in flying this model with a pusher motor is that I needed to add an ounce of weight to the tail to keep the CG location, although the model handled it with no problem.

Frank

Bob, I think it will be ok, however in my kits, I provided a .04 styrene nose piece that reinforced the bottom front of the nose to help protect against landing damage, you may consider doing that.

Frank

I found the remainder of the styrene nose piece among my broken parts and have glued back on.

IMG_3978.jpg

I got the stickershock markings today and finished up the other two prototypes in US and german schemes. Thanks to Rob Dedrick who came up with the winter camo scheme for his mach 2 that I used on this kit.

WP_20161206_20_03_35_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20161214_18_44_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161214_18_44_22_Pro.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20161214_18_44_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161214_18_44_41_Pro.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20161214_18_45_37_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161214_18_45_37_Pro.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 18
I decided to re-work my Stratodart with an sst/concorde style tail and do Pan Am markings, always wanted a pan am rocket plane....I guess it ws 2001 maybe, or maybe growing up near Boeing Field seeing the 747's flying...Mark at Stickershock did an excellent set for me, and I did some little details around the tops of the sst engine locations and a bit of dark gray to make the rear of the tail look like it was angled like an sst.

The kit can now be had with one of three different tails depending on what you prefer, they all fly the same.

StratoDart-SSTKitCard.jpg

WP_20161221_20_08_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20161221_20_09_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20161221_20_09_19_Pro.jpg

Here is my AQM-37 Jayhawk prototype all complete. 11 oz rtf, 20" wingspan, 36" long, bt-80 tubing and cone. Styrene canards slotted into the cone. The wing is about double the actual scale span so that it will actually glide. I put a laminated foam conduit on the bottom to mount the rail buttons and the skids which raises it up off the ground but the wingtips will drag on the ground if they are fully symmetric, so I had to fudge them slightly on the bottom, but they look the part. Test flights were perfect, absolutely no boost trim and my glide trim was spot on. Hopefully will get some flight video this weekend. Decal locations I had to sort of fudge due to the longer root chord but it looks the part and it flies really really well.

Frank

WP_20161221_19_46_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20161221_19_46_41_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Weather was cold today, about 35 and although they called for some sun breaks, it stayed really foggy, between 350-500 foot ceiling(500' is slightly under max altitude for these models on a straight boost), so I had to get creative with rolls and split esses to keep the models in sight, which limited my glide time but my daughter did a great job capturing nearly all of the flights. In a few cases they did "wink out" in the fog for a second, but a steady hand and a known control position brought them back into view as expected. I wanted to do another flight on my Pan Am Stratodart, but the last flight was really pushing my visibility so I called it a merry Christmas eve and headed home.

[video=youtube;yGg4Ik7GCHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGg4Ik7GCHE[/video]

[video=youtube;9OHiLqPYXW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OHiLqPYXW0[/video]

Last edited:
Cool! I may need to buy one of these. I'll need to find a receiver small enough that works with my Futaba 14SG.

Futaba and frsky make a fasst rx in micro size, about 8 grams.

Frank

Great! I'll look into it. I've got to build up some of my current stockpile of kits before I spend anymore $$, or my girlfriend will have a fit :kill:.

We had beautiful weather today and my son came out and video'd me flying a few of my rocket gliders, turned out great, hope you enjoy it and hope everyone had a great Christmas!

[video=youtube;sBB8vWJZucg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBB8vWJZucg[/video]

Frank

Frank,

What white paint are using for the StratoDart?

I know you have told me before, but refresh my memory. What black pen or market are you using for marking the StratoDart?

Maybe I will stay with the guide wire for launching. However, if I did go with a building a rail launcher, what recommendations or tips do you have? For example, where did you get the small rail for these gliders and are using a 6 foot length and how do you mount the rail?

Bob, I'm using testors small rattle can paint and fine line sharpie pens. Although I didn't use any paint on my stratodart. I just used vinyl trim accents to keep it light. For the rail I got mine from 80/20 on amazon but someone just told me they got a 6' rail through WalMart for a good price. For the pad I have pictures and a video on the instruction page ar https://www.dynasoarrocketry.com/general-information-for-all-kits.html.

Frank

Frank,

What white paint are using for the StratoDart?

I know you have told me before, but refresh my memory. What black pen or market are you using for marking the StratoDart?

Maybe I will stay with the guide wire for launching. However, if I did go with a building a rail launcher, what recommendations or tips do you have? For example, where did you get the small rail for these gliders and are using a 6 foot length and how do you mount the rail?

I am really interested in a couple of these. They are currently available?

I reached a milestone today, almost exactly 2 years since narcon 2015 where I talked to Matt Steele and Bob Parks and decide to start making rc rg kits. I just sold my 200th kit! Like I did in 2016 when I reached 100 kits, in honor of this, I took all of the people that had bought kits in 2016 and did a lottery and our own Tom Blakeney won! So I'll be sending him a new Wolverine kit and he has promised to do a build thread. Congrats Tom and thanks to all who have shown interest in rc rocket gliders the past two years, I hope I'm encouraging folks to try something I find so fun.

Frank

I reached a milestone today, almost exactly 2 years since narcon 2015 where I talked to Matt Steele and Bob Parks and decide to start making rc rg kits. I just sold my 200th kit! Like I did in 2016 when I reached 100 kits, in honor of this, I took all of the people that had bought kits in 2016 and did a lottery and our own Tom Blakeney won! So I'll be sending him a new Wolverine kit and he has promised to do a build thread. Congrats Tom and thanks to all who have shown interest in rc rocket gliders the past two years, I hope I'm encouraging folks to try something I find so fun.

Frank

:wink: Congrats, Tom! And thanks for getting me back into the RC RG crowd, Frank. :wink:

Last edited:
Back