Dying to go flying

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KILTED COWBOY

Reaction score
Got back into rocketry last July and have been building like crazy.
Semi Retired, empty nester so more free time than ever before in my life.
Built 16 new rockets so far.
Got to fly with my local club DARS In October and November.
Due to weather and now corona.
Everything is grounded.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the building aspect of the hobby, but I want to see these birds fly
I am jonesing on some smoke and fire.
How about y’all.
When they reopen that first launch is going to be awful crowded.
But I don’t care, I like watching other folks flights too

If you have access to a large enough stretch of private land (your own or a friend's) you can go solo.
Depending on your state's lockdown restrictions of course.

Agreed that the first launch after things go back to normal is going to be crowded. I have about half a dozen rockets that were going to have their maiden flights at Red Glare. I've been launching A motors with streamer or tumble recovery at home since I have a decent-size yard. but I'm itching to scout some unused school athletic fields to do a wider range of low power. The only issue is waiting for decent weather and driving all the way out there and hoping no one else is using the field.

LOL does anyone really think there are going to be any more NAR or TRA launches in 2020?

Gonna be solo launches or nothing.

For us it won't be too much longer and the launches would have been placed on hold anyway as it gets toasty out where we play. So it's looking like the fall or pirate launches.

I've never bothered in obtaining a launch pad or box because this has always been a social event for me. It seems social is a dirty word these days unless followed by the distant word.

Got back into rocketry last July and have been building like crazy.
Semi Retired, empty nester so more free time than ever before in my life.
Built 16 new rockets so far.
Got to fly with my local club DARS In October and November.
Due to weather and now corona.
Everything is grounded.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the building aspect of the hobby, but I want to see these birds fly
I am jonesing on some smoke and fire.
How about y’all.
When they reopen that first launch is going to be awful crowded.
But I don’t care, I like watching other folks flights too
Used to be a DARS member living in Plano. Great club. Be patient, things are going to work out.

Cancelled launches or not I’ll still renew my membership. Been so busy with conveyor design. Only got to fly a few A motors this year off an empty golf course lol. Really wanna get back into HPR this fall and try L2 again.

I can fly little stuff in my backyard and at field across street, lucky that way. But I do not believe that this virus is going away anytime soon. The world has changed, I do not know what the new "normal" will be. I cannot allow my wife into stores, no one is allowed to come over, not even our Son or Grand kids. When I leave in the truck again, do I sit in the driveway for 2 weeks when I do come back home, just so I am sure that I do not bring it in to my wife? But I am afraid that most events, not just rocketry, will be cancelled for longer than we hope. Here in MN, we just got new stay home orders till May 4th.

Cancelled launches or not I’ll still renew my membership.

Right on, Bro. !

Last year I paid NAR and club dues. I didn't like paying out nearly a Benjamin in fees. The privilege of flying with a bunch of like-minded and friendly people and a huge flying field was worth it. I expect that the will be few or no club launches before another round of fees. I hope that next year there will be at least 12 scheduled launch dates and I can get my moneys worth.

Back