• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted .DXF format help...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some accurate Estes Omega fins laser cut. Accurate down to the grain of the fins, but with TTW fin tabs. But I lack the software to create .DXF files for the cutter.

1669244614755.png
Can someone help me out here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Estes Omega (1200) TTW Fins only.ork
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here it is, I dimensioned one set and made a copy with no dimensions. I made a DXF and a PDF so you can see what it looks like. The file OmegaDXF.pdf is really a DXF (TRF will not let you post a DXF). Change the .pdf to .dxf and it will open in CAD. Omegadwgpdf.pdf is really a .pdf.

Attachments

• OmegaDXF.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Omegadwgpdf.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you want to get dimensions - and especially corners - as close as possible to the ideal, you need to know the kerf (i.e., width of the burn) of the laser being used and calculate not the lines that would border the ideal part but instead the lines where the laser should travel in order to cut the part. This can be very tedious, particularly the angles.

If you have broad angles like those in these fins, calculating the positioning of their slopes may not be worth the time, but depending the kerf of the laser, it may still be worth placing the longitudinal cut lines to account for it. @Chad 's laser has a kerf of about half a millimeter (and I still go out of my way to account for it), but I've seen laser cutting advertised with kerfs at least as wide as 2mm, which would shave the height of your fin by those same 2mm if not corrected for.

Thanks guys! I'll have to ask about the kerf next time I speak to the guy with the cutter.

Back