Duralco 4460 vs 4700 and using them for vacuum bagging T2T

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mperegrinefalcon

Reaction score
Hello,
Who here has used either Duralco 4460 or 4700 for tip to tip layup?
I have used 4700 for a 54mm minimum diameter project that went mach 2.4 and 27,000 feet. That survived the ascent but my charges were too small and didn't separate the drouge, so I took a core sample with that one.
Has anyone worked with 4460 before?
Does anyone have any tips for the best results with these materials?
When working with 4700 the last time I vacuum bagged 2 layers of plain CF to all three fins at the same time while in an oven made from an old filing cabinet and some insulation board. I powered it with 2 blower style space heaters. It got up to about 255, so barely enough to cure it, but not too hot to risk damaging the fiberglass. As I understand it 4700 cures only above 250 degrees Fahrenheit, and 4460 will cure at room temperature but takes a really long time, but then needs a post-cure at 250 degrees to reach its full heat resistant capabilities.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks

I am mistaken. I just found the hardener I have leftover from that project. I did use 4460. That makes sense considering how much more viscous the 4700 is. And I confirmed that 4460 does need the 250 degrees to cure.

Back