Duplicolor Problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguffer

Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with Duplicolor rattle cans?

I have had 3 out of 5 cans, i bought within past couple months, have problems.
One can wouldn't blow out any paint (or any gas) after just a few seconds.
Two other cans have stopped blowing out paint (or any gas) after about half the paint from can has been applied (half is an estimate based on weight and prior experience).

The one that stopped earliest, had a paint run from the nozzle to the lip where cap goes on, and i chalked it up to a bad can that someone "exchanged" without the store knowing. The other two (that gave out about halfway) did not have those paint runs.
4 of the 5 cans were bought from Meijer regional grocery, household store. 1 can was purchased from Advanced Auto Parts.
Colors were Bright White and Metallic Black.

Kinda disgusted as Duplicolor previously produced good results for me,

Bob

I have had a few cans spatter on me. The last one that did that I pulled the nozzle off and swapped it with one from an empty can and that fixed it. For the most part I have been very happy with the duplicolor paints.

Only problem I've ever had was from a can that I forgot out in the garage and let freeze for a week or so. It sputtered when I tried to use it that spring.

Give their customer service a call. They should replace the cans for you

One part of me would like to try Dupli-Color. But when the other part asks "why?", the first part has no good answer.

DupliColor is lacquer based so it dries very fast and hard. Also, since it is lacquer based the various coats melt into each other so you don't get much in the way of ridges for taped off sections. The color selection is slightly less than your run-of-the-mill rattle can since they're designed to match automotive colors but they do have ~80% of the colors needed/wanted and they have some basic flakes which are hard to get in most rattle cans. For bigger projects, they have their "paint shop" line which come in quarts and spray from a standard HVLP very well. I've used that on several 7.5" wide rockets in the past. The quart of paint shop gloss clear is one of the best clears I've used.

In short, its a small step up from normal rattle cans but not quite to a 2-part urethane.

I've actually had the happen w/ Rustolium, Primer to be specific. I think it may be poor agitation on my part. Especially if it's older stock ( no telling how long it's been in a warehouse) it may be cross linking causing clogs. Scientific wild a$$ guess.

DupliColor is lacquer based so it dries very fast and hard. Also, since it is lacquer based the various coats melt into each other so you don't get much in the way of ridges for taped off sections. The color selection is slightly less than your run-of-the-mill rattle can since they're designed to match automotive colors but they do have ~80% of the colors needed/wanted and they have some basic flakes which are hard to get in most rattle cans. For bigger projects, they have their "paint shop" line which come in quarts and spray from a standard HVLP very well. I've used that on several 7.5" wide rockets in the past. The quart of paint shop gloss clear is one of the best clears I've used.

In short, its a small step up from normal rattle cans but not quite to a 2-part urethane.
Duplicolor does offer a number of enamels and specialty application paints so there can be issues with lacquer and enamels in the brand. Most of us never see more than a quarter of the Duplicolor offerings at any one location and usually it seems to be a generic offering of lacquers and engine enanels with a few primers thrown in.

For bigger projects, they have their "paint shop" line which come in quarts and spray from a standard HVLP very well. I've used that on several 7.5" wide rockets in the past. The quart of paint shop gloss clear is one of the best clears I've used.

I have to agree. For most of my Hi-Power builds, this is my go to paint. 6 or 7 to date.

Only problem I've ever had was from a can that I forgot out in the garage and let freeze for a week or so. It sputtered when I tried to use it that spring.

Give their customer service a call. They should replace the cans for you
[/QUOTe
One part of me would like to try Dupli-Color. But when the other part asks "why?", the first part has no good answer.
Why..easy since they are automatic paints...the rocket will look like it is made of metal...therefore a more "realistic" rocket look. I say use it more....may favorite Rocket was my Big Daddy painted with Duplicolor GM Truck Blue.....it look nice..it like like metal...so that is why. Now I just use a 15 year old Dupli-Color paint on my 1st built in 6 years and it splatter and spin all over the place. Cleaning nozzle did not help.....so I have a nice mess near my garage door....but it looks like metal.

For me it’s just the opposite. I’ve gotten so used to working with the Duplicolor automotive paints that I quit trying anything else. A lot of it may be just what I’m used to working with, but I’m getting great results with their paint. Why mess with success.

Tony

Back