Duplicolor Chrome paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDramstad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this paint? I am building a 54mm fiberglass rocket. Laid down 3 or 4 layers of duplicolor high build primer followed a day or 2 later with duplicolor primer sealer. Then about 4 layers of the duplicolor chrome. Let it sit a few days then started the finishing touches to the build. Just laying the rocket into my pvc rack put dings and dents in the paint. Do I need to cook this thing? It looks great except it picks up fingerprints that wont just wipe off. Can you put a clearcoat on it? I had heard that doesnt work well.

If you look online you'll find the Duplicolor chrome often produces a very soft finish. I've had some success paining at about 80 degrees with low (<50%) and then letting it sit indoors for several weeks. But that's only been for a nosecone. And for a true chrome look you should paint over gloss black which needs to be completely cured before you paint over it.

Check out this video comparison of chrome paints:

Of course the best one is by far the most expensive, Spaz Stix. More online research will provide some good tips on surface prep before use. I pretty much gave up on chrome paints and now just use silver which isn't meant to be reflective. Overall I really like Duplicolor paints but their chrome just seems to not be very robust.

Good luck,

Tony

I used it on NC & fins. Looked good until I polished it. NC always seemed tacky afterwards. Ended up stripping NC & repainting. Fins are ok but lost the chrome look. Now more silver/gray.
IMG_4641.jpg

Has anyone tried this paint? I am building a 54mm fiberglass rocket. Laid down 3 or 4 layers of duplicolor high build primer followed a day or 2 later with duplicolor primer sealer. Then about 4 layers of the duplicolor chrome. Let it sit a few days then started the finishing touches to the build. Just laying the rocket into my pvc rack put dings and dents in the paint. Do I need to cook this thing? It looks great except it picks up fingerprints that wont just wipe off. Can you put a clearcoat on it? I had heard that doesnt work well.

There are couple of videos on Tested.com where Adam Savage paints with Molotow chrome paint -- cued up to the relevant discussion

In this one, he uses Alclad clear coat to protect the chrome (check out the "frequently purchased together" HERE)

Casual searching does not reveal a definitive answer on this, but I suspect that the paint marker refill he is loading into the airbrush in these videos is the same as the Molotow Burner Chrome rattle can paint (except that Malatow cans don't always have rattle balls -- for a reason that is more important to graffiti artists than to model builders).

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it years ago on a LPR rocket and had the same issues. Looks great until you handle it then it gets all smudged up. And if you spray clear over it, it just looks like normal silver paint.

Over the years I've done extensive research on Chrome Rattle Can Paints. Had one from ColorWorks Chrome Plate which did not grey when it was waxed or Nu-Finish coated (after drying one day). Unfortunately: ColorWorks like many other small paint manufacturers was purchased by Sherwin-Williams and this product line was discontinued.
To date the only other TRUE chrome finish rattle can product that actually works is from Alsa Corp. it's a 3 12oz can kit that has a Gloss Black primer/base coat, Chrome color coat and clear top coat. It is a wonderful product but the coat is at minimum $139.00 per kit. It does not pick up finger prints, smudge or grey when Nu-Finish coated.

Like you I used Duplicolor Chrome Silver on my Micro-Maxx Dwendeled Dead Ringer 10years ago and I still can not handle it without white cotton gloves. Flies fine but don't touch the surface with bare hands or try to apply any type of overcoat or wax which immediately greys the surface as seen on the Deep Space Transport which was Mirror finished until I Clear Coated it, turning the Mirror Chrome into a Dull Grey surface.

Attachments

• 4 of 5 Chrome spary paints_10-17-07.JPG
    4 of 5 Chrome spary paints_10-17-07.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 68
  • Alsa Corp-a_KillerChrome 3-CanKit(146.00)_04-07-15.JPG
    Alsa Corp-a_KillerChrome 3-CanKit(146.00)_04-07-15.JPG
    587.7 KB · Views: 74
  • MM 339a_ Dwindled Dead Ringer_09-30-07.jpg
    MM 339a_ Dwindled Dead Ringer_09-30-07.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 063_Deep Space Transport 3C_04-29-90.jpg
    063_Deep Space Transport 3C_04-29-90.jpg