Dupli-Color Painting Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most rocketeers are also "expert" modelers and "require" perfection in terms of look.
Uh, no. When you can only paint 4-5 months out of the year and build 12 months, a lot of my birds fly naked or primed only. If they survive their flights until summer, then they get paint, usually.

Sounds like you have NOT built a model yet. Most rocketeers are also "expert" modelers and "require" perfection in terms of look. STEM project- not sure perfection for looks is required. My 1st few kits I did not used primer. After I read most modelers do, I prime but I may or may not sand it off. I filled my Balsa with plan Delta Cream Coat all purpose filler which no matter how many times you apply, you still have grains. I will try DAP plastic wood, filler since Home Depot seems to no longer carry Elmer's here in NJ, I used Elmer's once and it gave me trouble, keep falling off. And you are right until this year, I never saw sandpaper in "grit specifications" at Home Depot, just coarse, medium, fine and extra fine and that is what I used.

So do not become obsessives with trying to get an expert appearance on tis project....it is the science behind it, a STEM Project. Use the best skills that you have obtain during your lifetime. If it was perfect, then any aduilt would say, Yeah his father built it.
No I've not started building them yet. I work for a local Estate Sale Company, I spend most weekends working so I'm waiting for my schedule to align with my grandsons availability. I figured I'd familiarize myself with some things so I've got a bit more knowledge about things when we get started. So I've been trying to read a lot, hopefully to have success out of the gates.

Good, why not build one E2x kit first. No need to paint. Most of the starter sets will have an E2x kit or an RTF kit (just attached parachute, shock cord and fly).

For sanding products I use Mcmaster Carr (mcmaster.com). I usually get overnight service.

Water-Resistant Sanding Sheet Assortment
for Aluminum, Soft Metals and Nonmetals, 50 Pieces

$53.15 Each
In stock
4674A36
Each
ADD TO ORDER

Includes10 each 220, 240, 320, 400, 600-grit Sheets
Width9"
Length11"
Number of Pieces50
For Use OnAluminum, Brass, Bronze, Copper, Plastic, Rubber
FormSheet
Abrasive MaterialSilicon Carbide
Abrasive Backing MaterialPaper
Sanding PropertiesWater Resistant

Good, why not build one E2x kit first. No need to paint. Most of the starter sets will have an E2x kit or an RTF kit (just attached parachute, shock cord and fly).
1 of the kits I purchased was a all in one kit with the launch pad and launch controller in the box with the rocket kit. The other one was just a regular old kit.

All in one, also known as Starter Set...probably has an RTF or E2X kit.. already assemble and ready to fly. If rocket has rubber band shock cord...replace with sewing elastic or kevlar.

Most rocketeers are also "expert" modelers and "require" perfection in terms of look.
This is far off base. Most rocketeers (by number) are probably flying RTFs and skill level 1s. Those folks are not spending their time on TRF, however.

Here, there are many more serious modelers who strive to make their rockets beautiful, but by no means all, and I don't know the percentages. And I'm not sure what percentage would consider themselves "expert modelers", although there are undeniably some around here.

As I've posited on a number of occasions, everyone should enjoy the hobby in their own way. There is no requirement that spirals must be filled, or rockets need to be polished, or decals need to be applied. Don't feel pressure to do any of those things. But if they bring you pleasure, then by all means go for it.

So do not become obsessives with trying to get an expert appearance on tis project....it is the science behind it, a STEM Project. Use the best skills that you have obtain during your lifetime. If it was perfect, then any aduilt would say, Yeah his father built it.
This I would agree with, *especially* if working with a child. Paint can be very frustrating.

That said, filling balsa is pretty straightforward, and I would consider it to be a reasonable step to include for modelers of any age. I certainly did it when I was a kid (dope and sanding sealer), even though I had never heard of things like filling spirals, and my painting was... well not bad necessarily, but certainly nothing like what I do today.

Sorry Neil, I will re-state....a good portion of Rocketeers on TRF are expert modelers....who require, and demand perfection.. As for Balsa, yeah but he can use simple, basic sealer as I stated I have used

I just wanted to let the gentleman know he does not have to used or entertain all the guidelines he has read on this forum. That a good portion of TRF modelers are true modelers and not just model rocket hobbyist.

Back