Dupli-Color " Mirage" Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have, great stuff. I painted my PML Explorer with the gold/magenta kit.

Kinda pricey but I thought the end result was well worth it.

In order for the mirage effect to appear properly, you must apply the black base coat, then the mirage coat, then the clear coat.

Give it a try, you'll love it.:D

Glad to hear you had good results.
Would the black be considered the primer with this system?
Also how was the coverage with that rocket, did you use all the paint?

Thanks,

Greg

Originally posted by gregtro

Thanks,

Greg

I would not consider the black paint as primer, I started with using Duplicolor grey primer.

I had a good amount of black and clear left over but I used almost the whole can of the mirage paint, it's only an 8 ounce can.

I wouldn't reccommend using it if you're concerned about weight but if you're not, by all means, go for it. I wasn't concerned about the weight at all since the Explorer can fly on G through I motors.

Good luck.:)

Thanks for the info Donald !
One more question though, what is an oddroc ?

Greg

An oddroc is a rocket that does not look like a typical rocket. They can be flying saucers, cones, pyramids, spools etc.

They are such a blast to fly and they always land close to the pad.

Check out www.artapplewhite.com He sells all different oddroc kits that fly on 13mm through 38mm motors.

Originally posted by gregtro

Thanks,

Greg

The black base coat acts like a primer in that it helps the outer coat adhere, but it will not fill imperfections. If you are happy with the surface, it can go on with no other primer.

I have used this type of paint a few times. The trick is to spray
real lite coats with the second can. the frist can is a flat black. Black reflects the light from the perls in the second can. Just a
clear coat with perls. spray a real good coat with the frist can.
Wait a good half hour. This will let the paint tack some. Then with the second can spray a lite coat wait 10min or so, Then spray another lite coat wait and so on until you get the effect you want.
Then I'd pick up another can of dupli color clear coat. make sure you spray lite coats. sure makes for a cool paint job.
Heres apicture of a little bt-55 I did with this paint.

Oh one more thing, the mirage paint itself is actually translucent. I discovered this as I sat the rocket on newspaper as I painted it.

That's why the black base coat is required.

Hmmm... Now this looks interesting... Anybody want to see where the heat sinks are in your rocket?

WW

Back