Dunkin Donuts launch lug

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joekeyo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Being a COM (cheap old man), I am always looking for a way to save money. I discovered that a dunkin donuts straw fits over a 1/4" launch rod very nicely. I also discovered that Elmer's school glue does not stick to said straw. It does stick very well to body tubes, however. Does anyone have any tips on how to clean up the messy BT that's left behind when the glassine is removed?

I am going to attach the LL ( 1" DD straw segment) using epoxy. I will also apply a thinned layer of epoxy to the straw to beef it up a bit. Then I will repair the damaged BT and paint.

Repairing a fuzzy BT is as easy as soaking with CA (water thin type) and then sanding smooth and repainting.

I don't know what DD straws are made of, but if they're either polyethylene or polypropylene, it ain't gonna stick. Polystyrene should be ok.

I'd find a strip of gummed paper tape, wet it, and wrap around the straw, making sure that it overlaps itself. The gum (dextrin) will stick to itself and to the straw well enough.

You can wrap the straw with a paper tape like masking tape or possibly label paper. The tape will stick to the straw and the glue will stick to the tape.

After all the time and effort to get a plastic straw to work as a launch lug, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay a few cents for a regular launch lug

You are so right. This endeavor is definitely behind schedule and over budget. 1 step forward and 2 steps back. But it did lead to some interesting discussions and potential solutions.

You can get paper straws dirt cheap on Amazon (likely other sources as well) They glue on easily with white or wood glue, they are fairly strong, they cut easily, they work great with 1/8 and 3/16 rods. One box will basically last you a lifetime. They actually are a little oversized for both 1/8 and 3/16, so not good if you are looking for high performance, but great for sport/just for fun rockets.

No adhesive known to man will bond to the plastic straws. Maybe if you wrapped it in duct tape or something.

Back