Duel Deploy Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exprditer789

Reaction score
I am looking in buying a duel deploy rocket and i need some help of choosing one. I am looking for a 4 to 5 inch diameter.Any brand.I would like to keep the build around $250 or under just for the rocket because i also have to buy a altimeter and a casing or too.Hope some one will help.Feel free to post some pictures.Thanks Alex

You can accomplish this for far less than $250. A Binder Design Excel Plus...

excelplus.jpg

... along with a Binder Avionics Bay comes to mind for a total of ~$125.

But you could do it for far less. My first dual deploy rocket was a modified PML Ariel (see attached). That plus the extra parts (coupler, nosecone for boattail, bulkheads) I picked up at a swap meet for ~$75. It worked well because it was a 3" kit and I could fly it all day on "I" motors.

Actually that gets to a good question, are you L1 or L2 certified? Although you may be able to do it with a 4" kit, you'll have a hard time flying a 5"+ kit with av-bay with less than a J-impulse.

BTW, it's dual deploy, not duel deploy.

ArielPlus.jpg

Last edited:
The bind kits are great builds. I would reccomedn them without reservation.

You can accomplish this for far less than $250. A Binder Design Excel Plus...

excelplus.jpg

... along with a Binder Avionics Bay comes to mind for a total of ~$125.

But you could do it for far less. My first dual deploy rocket was a modified PML Ariel (see attached). That plus the extra parts (coupler, nosecone for boattail, bulkheads) I picked up at a swap meet for ~$75. It worked well because it was a 3" kit and I could fly it all day on "I" motors.

Actually that gets to a good question, are you L1 or L2 certified? Although you may be able to do it with a 4" kit, you'll have a hard time flying a 5"+ kit with av-bay with less than a J-impulse.

BTW, it's dual deploy, not duel deploy.

I am going to get my level 1 in a month or two.Then i will go from there.I was also looking at the Loc Hyperloc 835 what do you think about that kit?Alex

Along with the Binder Design, the Loc Precision kits are also good. The HyperLoc 835 is a dual deploy rocket designed for hybrid motors, but you can fly any 54mm or smaller composite. It comes with the everything, e-bay and 18" and 48" chutes for $118. Recommended motors are H - J, but I'm sure you could use a K without issues.

So they say it is made for hybrid motors but you dont have to use them right?Alex

You should go with the Binder kit. It is worth the extra $7 to get the build instructions. You will learn much from the build. When my son got his Jr. L1 I had him build a Binder kit. You already said ~2 weeks ago you are new at this--do it right, put the hours in, and learn something.

That build should be pretty easy to build and cheap to build.Alex

BInder makes great stuff - but I have to put in a plug for LOC - used to be THE standard for HPR.

The Hyperloc is a good dual deply - I never ever buy a so-called 'dual deploy' version - just take the regular kit, install electronics in the coupler, main chute in payload bay and BINGO .

if you have yet to get L1, I have to say that a nice 4" kit, in the 7-9 lbs finished range, is best - Hyperloc, or the BInder kits, etc.

( although for the record, my Magnum flies great on I357s so the 5.54" birds dont necessarily need more power ) .

have fun and pick a design you like and post pics :)

~ AL

My first dual deploy rocket was a modified PML Ariel (see attached). That plus the extra parts (coupler, nosecone for boattail, bulkheads) I picked up at a swap meet for ~$75. It worked well because it was a 3" kit and I could fly it all day on "I" motors.

Curious - what modifications did you make to your Ariel for dual deploy? Did you cut the BT or add sections?

Here's an input from a relatively new L2, but not a super experienced HPR flyer like many here. For what it's worth...

There are so many good choices out there for a new-to-dual deploy rocketeer...Binder, LOC, and Wildman just to name a few. I would suggest you tackle a simple DD setup and a proven rocket, since quite a few new concepts will all come together at once, in your first DD flight.

I chose to modify my L1 rocket, a BSD 38 Special, but BSD is on an extended hiatus right now. If I had to do it again now, from a non-DD experienced perspective, I would lean heavily towards a Binder Excel Plus or the Wildman Jr. You could also chose something single deployment oriented for your L2, like the LOC IROC or Warlock, then learn dual deployment with another project down the road.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

I don't want to steal this thread, so I'll answer simply: quite a few mods on the shape/style of the overall rocket, but for dual deploy relatively simple--two coupler/central BT type design similar to a Binder kit (hmm, now that I think about it, I haven't used this type of e-bay design since--I'll have to try it again soon). I put a Slimline retainer flush with the rear of the tailcone and flew many times with a 54/38 adapter. I have attached the Rocksim file for reference.

Curious - what modifications did you make to your Ariel for dual deploy? Did you cut the BT or add sections?

Ariel+.jpg

View attachment Ariel+.rkt

Last edited:
Although the kits listed are very good, you might want to consider scratch building a DD rocket. All my DD rockets have been scratch built, including my L1 rocket. By the time you are flying HPR, you should know enough to scratch build a simple DD rocket. If you don't, you will certainly learn by trying.

Do you have a picture?

Here ya go.

01_I218_Cert.jpg

And sitting on the pad.

DSC00169.jpg

This flight it did not fly duel deploy I flew it single deploy for my cert to keep it simple and I had no coin to buy an altimeter at the time.

Last edited:
Although the kits listed are very good, you might want to consider scratch building a DD rocket. All my DD rockets have been scratch built, including my L1 rocket. By the time you are flying HPR, you should know enough to scratch build a simple DD rocket. If you don't, you will certainly learn by trying.

Ditto on all counts. I'm a bit mystified at all of the "what's a good rocket kit for my L1/L2?" threads, as it just doesn't seem to me that you need a kit for anything like that. By the time I have a rocket set up for dual deployment, all of the complicated stuff is of my own design anyway, even if I did start with a kit.

I'm going to throw out a shout for the Wildman JR. It comes dual deploy, it's G10, fairly easy to build. It gladly eats H I and J motors. Like any other DD it can be flown motor ejection only. It's priced in the range of the other 2 inch rockets, and if you build it by the instructions, Tim will replace it if it ever breaks!

I got 5279 feet out of a CTI 6 grain J skidmark - going without a drogue made it land less then 100 feet from the pad!

Here ya go.

01_I218_Cert.jpg

And sitting on the pad.

DSC00169.jpg

This flight it did not fly duel deploy I flew it single deploy for my cert to keep it simple and I had no coin to buy an altimeter at the time.

Nice flight. So all you do is leave the altimeter out then it is single deploy?Alex

I had it split in the middle and put the main chute in the drogue compartment and where the main normally goes it was just basically a payload bay.

Ditto on all counts. I'm a bit mystified at all of the "what's a good rocket kit for my L1/L2?" threads, as it just doesn't seem to me that you need a kit for anything like that. By the time I have a rocket set up for dual deployment, all of the complicated stuff is of my own design anyway, even if I did start with a kit.

I hadn't really thought about it, but you're right. After you build the kit, the most complicated parts are what you add on your one like the av-bay and motor retension, and they're not that complicated either.

I'll throw another vote out there for the Wildman Jr. That rocket could take you a long way - L1, L2, and dual deploy. The fiberglass construction makes it tough as nails, and its a relatively easy build. It's not quite as large in diameter as you had requested, but it would definitely be a fun rocket.

I have a Performance Hobbies Little Dog, which is a very similar kit; and I absolutely love it.

I would also recommend either the Wildman Jr(I have one and it flies grest!) or the Little Dog Dual Deploy..WM Jr is 99.99 and the Little Dog DD is 89.00..Either would be fine choices. :)

Back