Dual Parachute Recovery (2 chutes on one harness)????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever do a dual(or more) parachute recovery? 2 or more parachutes on one attachment point to the shock cord/recovery harness?

Did it work? Is it as simple as half sizing each chute (2-18s instead of 1-36, etc)? RS/OR sim it decently? Not sure if I should trust what the sim is telling me.

Something like this:

Skycat%20Drone%20Dual%20Parachute%20Rigging.jpg

I think I've seen some photos of it being done, but haven't done it myself. I imagine that it wouldn't simply be dividing diameter of the chutes though, but rather dividing the area For example, 36" dia --> A = 1017.88 in^2, divided by # of chutes, say 2 = 508.94in^2 --> 2x chutes with approx. 25.5" diameter.

If I can locate it, I have a document about setting up multiple chutes on the same attachment point, will see if I can find it this evening.

I think I've seen some photos of it being done, but haven't done it myself. I imagine that it wouldn't simply be dividing diameter of the chutes though, but rather dividing the area For example, 36" dia --> A = 1017.88 in^2, divided by # of chutes, say 2 = 508.94in^2 --> 2x chutes with approx. 25.5" diameter.

Yep, OR keeps telling me that I need two of the next smaller size to replace one larger one. Example: it takes two 36s to replace one 48.

If I can locate it, I have a document about setting up multiple chutes on the same attachment point, will see if I can find it this evening.

That would be cool, thanks.

I just think that it would look COOL!

It's not just sizing,,
I think there's a special way to pack them for multiple chute...
See if we can get some guy's to respond that are into scale...
I remember someone that flew one of the Saturn rockets,
I think it was a "V" did a lot of research on how to size,, connect,, and pack the 3 chutes...
Hey,, anybody got Steve E's email addy ???
He's got to know for sure...

Teddy

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474555088.392145.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474555131.126492.jpg

I fly three 50" top flight recovery parachutes on my Super Jart 75. All attached at same point on recovery harness. I don't believe that they are as efficient as one chute divided by three. Because each chute spills a little more air because they are at a slight angle from pushing away from each other. I fold and pack each one separately. I put them one at a time into the nose cone.

View attachment 302004

View attachment 302005

I fly three 50" top flight recovery parachutes on my Super Jart 75. All attached at same point on recovery harness. I don't believe that they are as efficient as one chute divided by three. Because each chute spills a little more air because they are at a slight angle from pushing away from each other. I fold and pack each one separately. I put them one at a time into the nose cone.

Cool. Anything special about how you fold or pack the individual chutes? Tangle much on deployment or during recovery?

I don't have a special way to fold them. They tend to push away from each other so they don't tangle.

I got to see Jeff's (Mightyrocketman) Super Jart in action at AirFest this year. It looked pretty neat recovering on multiple chutes. The deployments all looked great with no issues.

Back