Dual Oblong Mylar parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owlauto1

Reaction score
I finally found a Nike Ajax kit a new friend must have had on the shelf for 20-30 years, it came with two Oblong Mylar parachutes. There are instructions on how to assemble them but nothing on how to fold them. I have failed to find any videos that might help. I kinda want to keep them, but I also want to protect my rocket. Do you think I should scrap the two oblong chutes for one big round one? This is the first time I’ve ever attempted to use Mylar, is it common practice outside the little town of El Paso?

Yes, some TLP kits came with an oblong canopy.
0107221120[1].jpg
I don't overthink the folding. Grab the center of the canopy, pull lines taught (some lines are longer than others), Do the regular burrito wrap with shroud lines inside, and put in the airframe.

Another good use for mylar parachutes is they can be used to replace the tinfoil in hats.

Mylar is much lighter than tinfoil and is less likely to draw lightning strikes.

Yes it is a “TLP”, it is quite old though. When I purchased it, the parts were, well musty, there was no mildew, they just didn’t have that new rocket smell. I was trying to get ready for an early launch, and didn’t have time to take a picture of the chutes. It doesn’t look like I am going to make it. Paint’s not dry, and I refuse to fly naked or not fully painted rockets. Photos are on the way.

At this point I believe Mylar is better off used in hats . I am not giving up on doing it the way TLP intended. It maybe I is overthinking it.

At this point I believe Mylar is better off used in hats . I am not giving up on doing it the way TLP intended. It maybe I is overthinking it.
TLP did it as a weight and space saving measure, many of their kits can be flown on D12-3's (supposedly), but being very weight conscious by building as light as possible. was important

I was really sorry to hear that they were no longer in Buisness. This was the first time I’ve ever built a kit that didn’t have all the fin’s prefabricated and had to cut them out myself, it was kinda fun, and definitely a challenge. The weight issue is still on my mind. The clay for the nose cone was completely dried out, so I had to reconstitute before I could install it in the nose cone. It’s going to be interesting to see where CG is when I finally finish building it.

Attachments

• B9D4D8D7-4F49-43D8-844A-1DFCB2FB8CF6.jpeg
    B9D4D8D7-4F49-43D8-844A-1DFCB2FB8CF6.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 10
Have flown TLP Nike Ajax many times. I have used the stock oblong mylar chutes many times. I remain mentally and physically undamaged. Our parachute duration champion RSO would look upon the clustered monster and hope my chute packing skills had improved. He was often disappointed. Like a low class, budget hospital, the kit has no recovery room. Three Estes shogun ejection charges. Yes, flying TLP Nike Ajax stock can lead to the Dark Side.

So many swivels, so many shroud lines, so much delicate mylar material, so crunchy, so little room to pack. Everything must be 100% perfect, failure is not and option. A single sheet of wadding topped by the perfect amount of dog barf. Baby powder is the Word! Mylar pre crunched to perfection, such delicate hand work. Chute shroud holes reinforced on BOTH sides, requires extra three ring binder stickers. High end chute folding technique for a crazy oblong chute...how to fit a square peg in a round hole! One chute needs to pull the other out...packing order?...maybe a modicum of magic tape holding them together for a good pull then release?...but how to stick tape in a sickly powdered environment? So many questions, so few answers.

A delicate Kraft body tube falling with the weight of three burned motors in the base. What happens if only one oblong chute deploys? Launching out West on the hard, dry Prairie. With a clouded mindsim I pushed the button on the fist flight. All three lit. Pop,pop, pop ejection at Apogee, both chutes out, softly gittering in the sun, slowly descending to a soft landing not far away. Super difficult recovery to keep things untangled. Triumph! The hard work building and packing had worked. The proud youngling walked back to the Jedi Masters having survived the perils of a complex TLP launch.

But as the Youngling grew he became impatient, not keeping his mind on where he was at, what he was doing! There is no forgiveness flying TLP. Only one chute deployed on the second flight. The second chute remained just a bouncing wad on the way down. Landing in a sage brush you never saw such a tangled up mess. Again on the third fight only one chute. The damage from a hard landing began to appear. A small kink in the tube above the motor mount, a rip in the mylar. More paint dings needing touch up. But fly and fly again, easily repaired tube kinks with thin CA. Mylar chute just needs some Scotch tape. I think I got both chutes to deploy on the fourth flight and like 1.5 with a major rip in half on the fifth. Got lazy and only used one chute from there on, just repairing the damage in the field with CA and tape. Nine flights now. The tube above the motor mount shows many CA repairs. Rear tube with usual heat and landing damage. Sloppy, dark side techniques only to rush to launch!
So, if I were to build again I would reinforce tube by gluing a coupler above the motor mount. I would also consider getting a super expensive, high end, thin nylon chute. As large as possible to fit the small recovery space given exquisite packing technique. TLP twin oblong mylar chutes are a bit on the crazy side. BUT SO IS ANYONE FLYING TLP STOCK! :)

I was really sorry to hear that they were no longer in Buisness. This was the first time I’ve ever built a kit that didn’t have all the fin’s prefabricated and had to cut them out myself, it was kinda fun, and definitely a challenge. The weight issue is still on my mind. The clay for the nose cone was completely dried out, so I had to reconstitute before I could install it in the nose cone. It’s going to be interesting to see where CG is when I finally finish building it.
Pitch the clay if it was normal clay, and pick up a block of plasticine from a local art/craft store (usually a buck or two for a 1lb multicolored block). I have been using athe same block of plasticine for many years (20 ish) and the stuff never seems to dry out and it stays put in nosecones, its the same stuff Estes uses just not white/cream colored.

If you have not glued in the reconstituted pottets clay, take it and throw it into the trash. Use an equal weight of modeling clay instead. TLP swamp mud nose weight can become problematic! After many flights or a hard landing it can, on the next flight, loose it's bond to the plastic nose cone. The result is all the TLP haters having to run, duck and cover, much to their delight.

If you have installed the I would put in some epoxy for an additional cap. Not so bad on the Nike Ajax but can be a killer on 2.6 inch coned TLP kits. A little more nose weight won't hurt.

I would lable paper the fins as well. If not papered then at least three coats and sanding of awesome old school dope on the squishy balsa TLP fins! I think the instructions mention thin CA hardening...a bit crazy but it works if you are in to such dark side techniques. :)

Two coats of thin CA seemed to have a good result, then three sand and primer coats, looking for some sage or camo green.

Back