Dual Deployment in a V2?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
i was thinking of putting dual deployment in my V2, the question is how?

I was thiking of putting two 54mm tubes in the NC. One for the altimeter and the other for the chute. Then the main charge would blow the sections apart and it would come down to 1000ft and the second charge would blow the chute out of the tube. Would this work?

The reason I ask is I am going to fly the V2 on a J230 EX motor (it is a loc 5.5"v2) and I am going to have to us an altimeter anyway so I dont want to lose all that expensive material

Thanks!

Ryan
I think Chuck Pierce of HARA did just that .His review is on EMRR somewhere.do a search on v2

Stymye is right, Chuck Pierce of HARA, and the Tripoli Prefect Walt Stafford have both done 4" dia. V2 dual deploys. C. Pierce has done it with a proto-type Loc V2 and W. Stafford has done it with the Public Enemy "Vengence" V2.

They both fly nicely on EX J330 fast Blue motors:eek:

contacts @ www.hararocketry.org

Johnnie Paul

Originally posted by stymye
Ryan
I think Chuck Pierce of HARA did just that .His review is on EMRR somewhere.do a search on v2

A duel deployment V-2 sounds great...... I searched EMMR for Chuck Pierce and found he has done only a SA-5 Gammon and a Thor....... No V-2 reviews...... Any other info on him........

...my mistake ,the build article is in Sport Rocketry
(Jan/Feb 2003)

yep, he sent it to me though....thanks guys you really helped me out!

Well, my last minute modification for Dual deployment in the V2 worked!!!!

Here's what I did; I took two 54mm tube and put them in the Nosecone. In one went the altimeter with one charge (apogee) going into the bottom of the BT and the other Charge went into the bottom of the second 54mm tube. Then I wrapped the chute extremely tightly and stuffed it over the Ejection charge. I added wadding armed the altimeter and sat back to see if it would work. I was also worried it wouldnt work because; instead of using Ematches I bashed up some Christmas lights and used them as ematches.

Well the rocket took off on the 660n red J and right before apogee the main popped. The reason in popped early was because the vent hole is so close to the Nose. O well. Anyway at 500ft on cue out came the main and the V2 gently landed in the Mud on its fins even!!!

well if anyone needs to mod their already built V2 or one they are going to build this was a simple and easy way that added very little weight.

Another advantage to this system was it helped move the CG forward without adding weight because the parachute is now in the NC and so is the altimeter but that does add weight. I was a little concerned about launching the rocket on the J because of stability but it flew perfectly striaght to 1621'!

Hey, I know Chuck and Walt! I am also a member of HARA and if there are any pictures needed of their rockets I can see if they want to join rocketryforum and post them. I'll see what I can do. BTW I think some of the most popular rockets at HARA launches are V-2s (including mine :D and soon to be a second) and the Estes Skywriter.

Back