Dual Deployment Estes Patriot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielLW

Reaction score
Jolly Logic Chute Release on an Estes Patriot flown by a C6? Why not?

I need to try this on a B6. I wonder what the record is for the lowest power dual deployment flight?

And no, Jolly Logic did not pay me for this video. I really do think its one of the best things to ever happen to our hobby.

[video=youtube;7zT0kTPulvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zT0kTPulvs[/video]

I just got mine today! It just fits in my Magician's BT-55, so I may be able to fly E's in it again! (or .....F's)

Since it has to be >100 ft for 3 seconds, that was pretty bold to use a C6. I'd have opted for one of the 18mm D's to be safe.

Last edited:
Jolly Logic Chute Release on an Estes Patriot flown by a C6? Why not?

I need to try this on a B6. I wonder what the record is for the lowest power dual deployment flight?

And no, Jolly Logic did not pay me for this video. I really do think its one of the best things to ever happen to our hobby.

[video=youtube;7zT0kTPulvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zT0kTPulvs[/video]

I've seen evidence of an A10-3t true dual bay; no idea which electronics.

I had to search for the video on my Kindle because YouTube is blocked on the company computers, so I'm not sure I saw the correct video. The one I saw also showed a Ventris using the JL Chute Release. If that was the correct video, can you tell me what motor was used on the Ventris?

I had to search for the video on my Kindle because YouTube is blocked on the company computers, so I'm not sure I saw the correct video. The one I saw also showed a Ventris using the JL Chute Release. If that was the correct video, can you tell me what motor was used on the Ventris?

They correct video shows an Estes Patriot and then the Ventris. The Ventris was flown with an AT F22. The Patriot on a C6.

From some comments from others above, sounds like a challenge... who can make the lowest impulse dual deployment rocket? I have an egg timer quark that is pretty light. If the board could be re-engineered to be long and thin with an led instead of a buzzer, smaller output transistors and no jumpers (hardwired instead) it could probably be done on an A or less... getting a small light battery to pop two igniters may be the hardest part.

They correct video shows an Estes Patriot and then the Ventris. The Ventris was flown with an AT F22. The Patriot on a C6.

That's the one I saw. Thanks. That F22 motor looked good in the Ventris.

So is it attached to the nose cone and something is wrapped around the parachute?

From some comments from others above, sounds like a challenge... who can make the lowest impulse dual deployment rocket? I have an egg timer quark that is pretty light. If the board could be re-engineered to be long and thin with an led instead of a buzzer, smaller output transistors and no jumpers (hardwired instead) it could probably be done on an A or less... getting a small light battery to pop two igniters may be the hardest part.

Bear ( Boris de Reau ) Altimeters on a stack of silver / air batteries are, AFAICT, the current in-production smallest DD.

1481365978461.jpg

So is it attached to the nose cone and something is wrapped around the parachute?

Yes, the chute release is tethered to the nosecone, and is wrapped around the parachute. At a user-defined altitude, the chute release releases a pin and the chute unfurls. It's all electronic, no pyrotechnics involved.

Yes, the chute release is tethered to the nosecone, and is wrapped around the parachute. At a user-defined altitude, the chute release releases a pin and the chute unfurls. It's all electronic, no pyrotechnics involved.

No pyro other than the motors ejection charge to get everything out in the airstream.

Not far from trying my RC Chute Sled designed for BT50 models. Motor ejection with RC commanded main deployment, no minimum arming altitude required.

My first attempt to use my chute release was in an Estes Executioner and a D12-3 earlier this year. Had not flown it for several years and forgot it didn't get very high on a D. With the extra weight of the chute release it only made about 50' so chute did not deploy. Tried the chute release in a Big Bertha, got the height but chute jammed. Going to try again next year.

Back