Dual Deployment Altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPIRocketFan

Reaction score
I am fairly new to HPR. What altimeter boards/dual deployment boards everyone uses and why? To clarify I am not interested in a strict comparison of features but in individual reasons for why people use the altimeters they do. I personally have been using the Raven3 altimeter because of the extensive data logging capability and because the friend that introduced me to HPR recommended it. It has worked well but is expensive. I am also interested in finding or making an open source altimeter board that has open source software because I am interested in playing around with altimeter software. Does anyone know of an open source altimeter board? Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

Stratologger CF - small, inexpensive
Eggtimer Quark, really small and inexpensive <$25 but it is a kit that requires soldering

Stratologger CF - small, inexpensive
Eggtimer Quark, really small and inexpensive <$25 but it is a kit that requires soldering

None of which are open source, but both are great DD altimeters. Also excellent choices are the Missleworks RRC3 and RRC2, Eggtimer Quantum, Eggtimer TRS, Original Eggtimer, Marsa 54, Featherweight Raven, Altus Metrum products. However none are open source on the above list and all Egg-things require soldering/assembly.

AltOS is GPLV2 w/ docs CCSA , apt-get install altos on deb unstable. Hard to get more open without engaging in a holy war, hats off to Altus Metrum.

The original Eggtimer Classic isn't open source, but it's built on the Arduino platform and I will send out the source code on request to registered owners (i.e. you bought one from us). Note that it's built on an older version of the Arduino IDE (0.23) and the newer versions exhaust the flash memory, which is one reason why there haven't been any new updates in awhile. It works fine as it is, and there's just no room to add anything without taking something else out. As with any other source code, it's on an "as-is" basis... if you break it, it's your fault, not ours. Be careful... you don't want to cause things to come falling out of the sky.

We do not release the source code for the other altimeters (Quark, TRS, and Quantum).

I am also interested in finding or making an open source altimeter board that has open source software because I am interested in playing around with altimeter software. Does anyone know of an open source altimeter board?

All Altus Metrum products are open hardware designs running free software. All of the tools we use to develop the hardware and software are also free software. Heck, even our online store runs on free software. You can go take a look at our software at

https://git.gag.com/?p=fw/altos;a=summary

All of our hardware designs, retired, current and upcoming, can be found on the same git server at

https://git.gag.com/

We've had numerous people build copies of our hardware, and we're always happy to help out with that. And a few people have even hacked the firmware, including a TARC team who use TeleMetrum to ignite additional motors and control parachutes to help hit their flight goals.

I've been using Perfectflight HiAlt45, Stratologger SL100 and Stratologger CF. I started with a HiAlt45. It worked great on a couple of 80G flights and survived a lawndart that broke the battery into a dozen pieces. The Stratologgers are even easier to use so I just stuck with them. The data logging is good, but I don't use it a lot. I like the boot up sequence and the information that is supplied by the beeps when it boots. The price is pretty good too.

I'm not into programing but I can say that from personal experience I've been impressed with Missleworks, Perfectflite and Adept. Really can't go wrong with any of them as far as I am aware.

My Perfectflight HiAlt45k was a great performer but has started to go wacky on me. That has more to do with the flier than the alt though. That poor alt has had a REALLY rough life. It was even submerged in water at one point and after it dried out performed just fine. I would not hesitate to by a PF product again because of their durability.

-Dave

For a first altimeter, I'd buy an RRC2+ and stick it in the rocket and go launch. Then start learning about and growing with the others. Of course, if you are really gung-ho to do airstarts and downloads and programming, jump right up to the RRC3. All the products mentioned here are fantastic, though. Just one man's opinion.

The Altus Metrum stuff is great. Worth buying just for the professional software on the presentation end of things. Also, a couple of the products do the maths for tilt detection which has some cleverness involved in the firmware.

Last edited:
I have never heard a bad thing about any of the altimeters that people use (other than the Estes one and thank God it isn't DD capable). If you are in a club ask what people use. It helps to have someone who knows the device just in case you need a little help at the field.

Back