Dual Deploy / Shear pin questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"By volume" is an important distinction for Pyrodex...

https://www.chuckhawks.com/difference_black_powders.htm
"By actual weight, it is not the same. 100 grains measured by volume of Goex FFg is about 101.3 grains by weight. 100 grains measured by volume of Pyrodex RS is about 72.5 grains by weight. Pyrodex is where confusion can start to set in, as the standard "F" designations of powder coarseness start to go out the window."
Same with Blackhorn 209. It's soooooooooo much cleaner than Pyrodex or any other BP substitute. I've been meaning to test it for rocket deployment, may be able to get to it this winter or early spring.

I call bunk on anyone saying "1 pin will jam" as I have many rockets with only 1 pin and they have NEVER, EVER jammed. Proper placement and prep is key. Use 2 if you're gonna go with the 'But, but, but.....it'll jam if I only use 1' line of thought.
I agree, i have used 1, many times.

I found these great nylon 4/40 screws at Ace Hardware that look like they would be perfect shear pins, but how do I know?
I think if you look at your rocket and compare it with rockets from other people, the exact conditions right at the shear pin can vary a bit. If you take 2 long strips of metal, lap them a few inches and put a bolt through there that would be called single shear and the conditions are fairly repeatable so the construction industry has good data for the strength of this condition. Consider the same condition on a rocket and you are talking about cardboard/phenolic/fiberglass instead of sharp edged metal, and there might be a variable gap between the layers. So as the system is trying to shear the bolt the tube materials can deform. I've read that some people incorporate some thin layers of metal to do a more controlled shearing. And the airframe volume and amount of ejection charge are also variables. So ultimately you have to do the ground tests on your combination.

I've been doing a lot of low power lately with dual deploy, and I rarely have to walk far to collect a rocket. I'm using the small centrifuge tubes with commercial ematches from amazon.

Back