Dual Deploy Kit Suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondRow

Reaction score
I earned my L2 cert this past weekend, and I’m looking for a new kit to celebrate. One of my goals this year is to learn dual deploy, and I‘d like to get a kit that’s DD capable.

I’m thinking about a 4” 54mm rocket. Big enough to fly H and I motors to low altitudes for DD practice, but still able to fly J and K when I feel ready. Also, big enough to lay out the electronics easily. I’m looking for cardboard tubes and wood fins - I don’t have the setup to do a lot of epoxy construction. I don’t feel like working with FG, phenolic, etc.

So far I’ve found the Apogee Katana and SBR 4” Thor. I didn’t see any LOC kits, but maybe I didn’t navigate the site well. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don’t know a lot of the high power kit makers, so I’m all ears. Thanks.

HyperLoc 835
Madcow Fenzy

Or if you're willing to play engineer buy a kit that isn't set up for DD and work with that. Then that really opens up the possibilities. It's not that hard to do. Manufacturers even offer ebays a la cart making the modification even easier. I think the 5.5" LOC Goblin kit would be a hoot to convert to DD for example.

i’ll check the LOC website more carefully this time And Madcow - I forgot about Madcow. Thanks!

I earned my L2 cert this past weekend, and I’m looking for a new kit to celebrate. One of my goals this year is to learn dual deploy, and I‘d like to get a kit that’s DD capable.

I’m thinking about a 4” 54mm rocket. Big enough to fly H and I motors to low altitudes for DD practice, but still able to fly J and K when I feel ready. Also, big enough to lay out the electronics easily. I’m looking for cardboard tubes and wood fins - I don’t have the setup to do a lot of epoxy construction. I don’t feel like working with FG, phenolic, etc.

So far I’ve found the Apogee Katana and SBR 4” Thor. I didn’t see any LOC kits, but maybe I didn’t navigate the site well. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don’t know a lot of the high power kit makers, so I’m all ears. Thanks.

First off, congrats! Welcome to the deeper world of money depletion.

If you don’t like working with FG yet, but you like cardboard, have you considered Canvas? Mac Performance Canvas kits are very high quality and the canvas is as easy to work with as cardboard. Sands easy, sucks up epoxy nicely, and it’s durable. You get what you pay for as far as the investment is required, not to mention that Mike, the owner, is a top notch individual. Just something to think about!

I actually bought the 4” ARCAS for the same intention that you gave above (DD Practice) and, I have 8 flights on that rocket now on everything from a J to multiple L’. (L640GR, L585IM, L1000).. so very versatile.

Good luck with your search, have fun.

And if you’re not in a hurry North Coast Rocketry is rereleasing some of their 4” kits later this year - the one that’s on my must buy list is the upscale of the Centuri Quasar, the rocket I wanted as a kid 😉

Just about any kit with a coupling can be made duel deploy. I would think that if you contact the manufacturer directly, (as opposed to going through a vendor) you should be able to get a 54mm MMT at little to no extra cost.
I think the least expensive kit would be a Madcow Patriot @ $95 (?). Mine is 38mm, but they have 54mm as an option for the same price.

First off, congrats! Welcome to the deeper world of money depletion.

If you don’t like working with FG yet, but you like cardboard, have you considered Canvas? Mac Performance Canvas kits are very high quality and the canvas is as easy to work with as cardboard. Sands easy, sucks up epoxy nicely, and it’s durable. You get what you pay for as far as the investment is required, not to mention that Mike, the owner, is a top notch individual. Just something to think about!

I actually bought the 4” ARCAS for the same intention that you gave above (DD Practice) and, I have 8 flights on that rocket now on everything from a J to multiple L’. (L640GR, L585IM, L1000).. so very versatile.

Good luck with your search, have fun.
It‘s not so much the material as it is the adhesive. Almost all of my building is done in my office at home (where I also carry out my day job). I don’t really have a workspace. So I try to avoid using a lot of epoxy. Wood glue cleanup is easy. Epoxy is a little trickier given my current rocket construction area. But I’ll take a look. Thanks!

You’ve already found about the best you can and for your stated goals, just get the 4” SBR Thor, the directions make it nearly foolproof and its setup for dual deploy with the included altimeter bay, works very well for your scenario.

What no mention of Tim?

3" Dark star from Wildman Rocketry (kill 2 birds with one stone (3 actually)):
  • gets you into fiberglass / composite airframes
  • is DD capable
  • and gets a DS into your fleet!! (all "real rocketeers" have one.. :D :D )

Seriously, like with the "what is a good L1" questions, there are a myriad of good choices. The main criteria you are after is that it has an AV bay at about the mid point of the rocket.. And something 3" or 4" in diameter so you can get your hands & such in..

What no mention of Tim?

3" Dark star from Wildman Rocketry (kill 2 birds with one stone (3 actually)):
  • gets you into fiberglass / composite airframes
  • is DD capable
  • and gets a DS into your fleet!! (all "real rocketeers" have one.. :D :D )

Seriously, like with the "what is a good L1" questions, there are a myriad of good choices. The main criteria you are after is that it has an AV bay at about the mid point of the rocket.. And something 3" or 4" in diameter so you can get your hands & such in..
I don’t want FG or any other composite materials for now. See posts 1 and 12.

I know there are a lot of choices. I wanted to look at some options from vendors I hadn’t thought of, because I wasn’t finding many with my criteria (4” 54mm cardboard).

Picked up a DG&A Armageddon kit a month ago. It’s 4” cardboard DD with a 54mm mount. Really nice kit with an interesting look. If you build it stock you’ll probably be able to get away with flying it on large H motors such as an H550 up to maybe a K700.

PML has some pretty cool birds and the piston deployment is def different. There CPR 3000 deployment system is def different that other dual deployment options, but it is nice that is an "all-in-one" solution. If you do go with a PML bird, I wouldn't go with a quantum tube - phenolic would work better with wood glue since the quantum tube is essentially plastic.

Just click on the "CPR Kits" on the PML page for kits that are designed for the system from the ground up. Their quick switch motor mount system also makes it easy to fly their rockets with different motor diameters. That system does limit the motor length, but it is pretty slick for switching out motors quickly.

I have a couple PML birds with their CPR dual deploy kit and use either Stratologger CFs or Missile Works RRC3 or RRC2L altimeters in them - those all fit the CPR system well. I am not a fan of the Co-Pilot PML sells - I have had two of them fail on me.

LOC EZI is easily convertible to DD...one of my favorites. Goes like gangbusters on a CTI I100 to around 4kft, set the delay for about 10 for backup drogue (CTI delays run ~2 sec long in this time range). Fantastic with any suitable Skidmark. Wood glue assembly should work fine. You should be able to get away with a J2xx if it's built straight.

PML has some pretty cool birds and the piston deployment is def different. There CPR 3000 deployment system is def different that other dual deployment options, but it is nice that is an "all-in-one" solution. If you do go with a PML bird, I wouldn't go with a quantum tube - phenolic would work better with wood glue since the quantum tube is essentially plastic.

Just click on the "CPR Kits" on the PML page for kits that are designed for the system from the ground up. Their quick switch motor mount system also makes it easy to fly their rockets with different motor diameters. That system does limit the motor length, but it is pretty slick for switching out motors quickly.

I have a couple PML birds with their CPR dual deploy kit and use either Stratologger CFs or Missile Works RRC3 or RRC2L altimeters in them - those all fit the CPR system well. I am not a fan of the Co-Pilot PML sells - I have had two of them fail on me.

Hate to rain on the parade, but guess who makes the CoPilot altimeters... yup, MissileWorks. I still have one or two of them somewhere.
I’m also not sure how well wood glue works on phenolic. :dontknow: To be fair I’ve never tried. One way to find out.

Hate to rain on the parade, but guess who makes the CoPilot altimeters... yup, MissileWorks. I still have one or two of them somewhere.

Not sure why the Co-Pilots died on me. Never had that happen with other MW products. To be clear, they didn't fail in flight, both literally just died. Wouldn't turn on anymore. PML replaced them both times, but after the second one died, I didn't trust them anymore to fly them. So, I too have a couple sitting in plastic.

Never had an RRC3 or RRC2 fail, though.

Interesting. I thought I’d need epoxy for phenolic. I didn’t realize wood glue would work.

My altimeter is going to be an EggTimer Quantum. I built an EggFinder tracker for my L2 flight and it worked perfectly. I picked up the Quantum during the holiday sale along with some of Cris’s new apogee deployment flight controllers to practice on a smaller scale.

Back