Dual Deploy Ground Test Issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Lecture

Reaction score
I have a 5.38" diameter rocket and tested the separation charge on the ground. The BP calculator told me for the 24" tube that 3 grams would give 10.6 PSI. I loaded the BP and ground tested it and had a good separation. Loud but good. When I was cleaning it up I realized that the qty 3 0.25" pop rivets that I used to fasten the tube coupler to the upper body had all driven around 2" up the tube coupler coughing a slot in the cardboard. So the question I have is did I use too much BP, or do I need to use bigger or more pop rivets?

3g for a ~5" diameter tube 24" long sounds like a lot of BP, however, that doesn't sound like it is your primary issue.

One thing you did not provide - number and size of the shear pins. It sounds like your shear pins are holding on for quite a while before they shear or there wouldn't be so much pressure on your rivets. For a cardboard rocket with a (presumably) plastic nosecone, you don't need a lot of holding power for the shear pins. You want just enough holding power to prevent the nosecone from ejecting during the drogue event, but also a weak enough connection that you don't need a huge event to eject the main. In some of my rockets with a plastic nosecone, I have even been able to get by with a friction fit.

Personally, I would not use pop rivets. They can work fine, but using PEM nuts in your coupler and screws to hold the payload bay on offers some advantages. First, it is a heck of a lot easier to take out/install a screw for each flight than it is to cut off a pop-rivet and then install a new rivet each time. Second, you can tighten a screw a lot more than a rivet, which helps to prevent tear out. Rivets can make a somewhat tight connection, but there will always be a little bit of "play" - a loose connection will tear out more than a tight one. Third, the surface area of the PEM is a quite a bit more than a rivet and the PEM is epoxied to the coupler, so it has less of a probability of tearing the tube apart.

Was this separation charge for the apogee event? And if so - did you extend the shock cord all the way and the upper section snapped to a real hard stop when it reached the end of the shock cord?

I also do not use rivets. I like to use steel 2-56 screws for this size rocket. I use a ply backer inside the cardboard tube along with a blind nut to screw the steel screw into. they ani't rippin out:)
Also. as stated above, sounds like too much BP to me. I have a 12" dia rocket and only use 2.5 grams BP.

Back