Dual deploy ejection charges in metal pvc caps.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanggreg

Reaction score
I am building my first altimeter bay and went to Home Depot to purchase 1/2” pvcp caps for the ejection charges and all they had was metal caps. So my question is whether it matters that they are metal. I drilled small holes for the electric matches and the match sits on the bottom of the metal cap. Will this affect the match igniting? Thanks for any opinions on this.

Metal will work but has the chance of cutting into the insulation around the ematch wires and causing a short. Non-metal will be lighter as well. I've used copper and aluminum pipe caps but pvc is what I look for first.

If you have a 3d printer, consider printing your own.

I'm sure you already know, but you can buy charge wells from various rocket vendors. I prefer Doghouse (Binder Design) myself.

I've used copper pipe caps and they work well. Just make sure the edge is smooth (I sanded it nice and smooth) to not cut the insulation of the wire, assuming you aren't feeing the wire through the bottom of it.

PETG is more flexible than PLA and easier to print than nylon. I'm thinking of trying it for charge wells. That said, Rocket Junkies has some nice aluminum ones too

Back