Drop Away Rail Buttons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a fly away rail guide years ago. Problem was they would fly-away and then one had to find them and then many times they broke in two when they hit the ground.

You'd have to love this, then.
The buttons usually drop right below the launch rail.
No it was off to the side and sometimes they broke when they hit the ground. I sent the broken one back to the maker and he sent me a new one.
The idea is a good one but making it out of a different plastic would have made it better.
It had slots that fit into a 1010 rail and when off the rail and rubber band would flip it open and fall off the rocket. Problem was if the rocket was nicely painted, it would get scratched. Plus one had to buy one that fit the diameter of the rocket being flown. I still have an intact one downstairs. I went back to rail buttons and gave up on "button-less" rockets. Kurt

An idea that I've been thinking about for awhile is to have spring-loaded retractable rail buttons, that pull in flush with the airframe after they leave the rail. I have a few designs floating around in my head... but I'm not a machinist so it's probably not gonna happen.

An idea that I've been thinking about for awhile is to have spring-loaded retractable rail buttons, that pull in flush with the airframe after they leave the rail. I have a few designs floating around in my head... but I'm not a machinist so it's probably not gonna happen.

Derrick Deville did this at LDRS 19. When they left the rail they would pull back in.

I had a design for retracting 1010 buttons.

But they have no purpose. Other than cool factor.

They don't fit in a minimum diameter build. And low n slow rockets don't really need them.

Making a fly away guide that doesn't suck, would be more helpful.

The uni team I mentor for SAC used them. They worked well.

Making a fly away guide that doesn't suck, would be more helpful.

Agree, but may be impossible. Anything that "flies away" runs the risk of a fin strike.

meanwhile, just use a tower.

Also agree, but towers are a hassle to transport and set up. Mush easier to use a rail that is already at the club launch pad. Nonetheless, my next altitude shot will use a custom tower.

Back