Drogue with JLCR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I've got a somewhat small (relatively) rocket that I'd like to launch on bigger (higher powered) motors. I'm using motor eject. The bigger motors can put the rocket up 4-6000 feet. The rocket has an RDF beacon for tracking, but I'd like to increase the ability to visually track as well. What I'm thinking of doing is to add a 10-12 foot crepe paper ribbon as a drogue. The main chute will open on a JLCR at about 4-300 feet, and will release the ribbon at that time. Good idea or bad? What could go wrong? If the ribbon tangles, it should be releases when the chute is released. I think I can position everything inside the rocket to avoid this.

Doesn't sound like a problem. If you're still uncertain, try it put on a lower flight so you cam observe it

I use a nylon streamer on my higher flying rockets when using my JLCR - it’s only been 5-6 flights but has worked perfectly. I do it more for visibility than anything else - helps me keep an eye on the rocket to have that streamer unfurling at right after apogee.

I've used bird deterrent silver mylar. It has a pattern that flashes when it moves. Highly visible because when the sun hits just right it's like a beacon.

I use a nylon streamer on my higher flying rockets when using my JLCR - it’s only been 5-6 flights but has worked perfectly.
I've used bird deterrent silver mylar. It has a pattern that flashes when it moves. Highly visible because when the sun hits just right it's like a beacon.
This is interesting, where on the shock cord do you attach the streamer, at the same spot as the chute or elsewhere?

I googled for bird deterrent silver mylar and it sure looks like that flashing pattern would be helpful for visibility, but I did not see any that are 5" or 6" wide. Most were just 1" or so and were double-sided tape.

This is interesting, where on the shock cord do you attach the streamer, at the same spot as the chute or elsewhere?

I googled for bird deterrent silver mylar and it sure looks like that flashing pattern would be helpful for visibility, but I did not see any that are 5" or 6" wide. Most were just 1" or so and were double-sided tape.
My streamer is attached to the nose cone, chute attached to the shock cord - roughly a foot from the nose cone eyebolt, with the JLCR attached to the “base” of the chute shroud lines. The opened rockets tend to fall nose cone/streamer high and I haven’t had a problem with anything tangling.

I've got silver mylar, and it might be more visible. I was thinking of attaching a short leader to the crepe paper ribbon, and tucking the free end into the chute bundle with the JLCR. It would be released when the JLCR opens and the chute is able to open. We fly in wheat fields. I think the crepe paper ribbon would be better in this circumstance because it will dissolve and "go away" after a rain or two. On the other hand, if the wheat is very deep, keeping the ribbon attached, if the wheat is more than knee deep, will lay on top of the stalks, "pointing" at where the rocket came down. Really, my biggest concern is tangling when the chute comes out.

The Mylar I use is 2" wide. I got it on Amazon. I attach it to the nose cone. !5 or 20' of flashing Mylar is highly visible.

My post from another thread. Get this at LOWS usually near the pest control area. (Insecticides, etc,)
This stuff is VERY FLASHY red and silver, cheap, and easy to get at most LOWS. Bird-B-Gone Flash Tape
Screenshot_20210414-000143_Chrome.jpg
I don't use streamers often; but since I found this, it is all I use for them. It helps see while descending, and then find once on the ground.
Make it as long as possible.

The Mylar I use is 2" wide. I got it on Amazon. I attach it to the nose cone. !5 or 20' of flashing Mylar is highly visible.
Do you make a hole in the mylar and attach it to the NC with a quik link? Push the tape through an eye bolt on the NC and knot it? Or what? The mylar can't rip off?

Last edited:
Do you make a hole in the mylar and attach it to the NC with a quik link? Push the tape through an eye bolt on the NC and knot it? Or what? The mylar can't rip off?
I fold one end over and tape it with packing tape. Then I run some kevlar string through the loop and knot the two ends together. Then you can attach it to the nose cone with a quick link.

I've got silver mylar, and it might be more visible. I was thinking of attaching a short leader to the crepe paper ribbon, and tucking the free end into the chute bundle with the JLCR. It would be released when the JLCR opens and the chute is able to open. We fly in wheat fields. I think the crepe paper ribbon would be better in this circumstance because it will dissolve and "go away" after a rain or two. On the other hand, if the wheat is very deep, keeping the ribbon attached, if the wheat is more than knee deep, will lay on top of the stalks, "pointing" at where the rocket came down. Really, my biggest concern is tangling when the chute comes out.

I've tried that method on some larger LPR rockets flying composite motors. I chose to use mylar for visibility (2" x 96" or 2" x 48"). The results were not what I hoped for. In a half dozen test flights the streamer deployed and visibility was excellent. BUT not once did the streamer actually detach when the chute release opened. Typically the leader on the streamer would tangle in the shock cord or in the shroud lines. This never stopped the chute from deploying and all were recovered without damage but it wasn't what I was aiming for.

I think I've resolved the issues that concerned me. The first rocket was built with a long kevlar harness. I had been attaching everything to the loop at the nose. With this long harness, I can make a loop, one ot two feet below the nose to attach the chute, and this should help keep the chute from tangling with the ribbon attached at the nose. I'm constructing a rocket for my Level 2 attempt, and will build it the same way. This first rocket has come down from altitudes in excess of 2000 feet, to land on asphalt, after a tangled chute. It's plenty tough, so it should survive me experiment, even if everything goes wrong (as long as the chute does come out!).

Back