Drill Press & Technique Recommendations for Drilling Perfect Holes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68gtscode

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and mid-power rockets, but believe the hobby will be a good fit for my detailed personality :) Anyhow, I bought a MAC Performance 3" Black Fly kit and am doing some homework preparing for the build. I haven't found a thread specifically addressing equipment and techniques used for drilling perfect holes, so I'd like to ask those experienced here. I assume that I'll need to invest in some sort of desktop drill press, and that I'll build larger rockets in the future (up to 6"?). I would greatly appreciate feedback on any critical specifications such as: spindle to table length, spindle travel, table size, fixtures like table vice, etc. Any recommendations on specific models would be great too.

Also since we're talking drilling perfect holes, I'd appreciate any insight on techniques such as RPM, bit type, do you mask the area prior to drilling, etc.

Please discuss... Thank you in advance!

You do net need a drill press for any holes required on the 3 inch black fly. A drill press is good.... a is a V-block if you are a fuss button regarding precision. However, with the airframe thickness of .062 a drill press adds little value. I have built a number of Mike's kits using a Dewalt variable speed 20 volt battery powered drill. Masking helps in providing clearer marking of hole locations. In Mike's dual de[ploy kits the electronics bay bulk plates are predrilled. A drill press was not used on the 4 inch Villain in my Avatar. Just be sure to align your rail button holes on the centerline of the airframe.

well me i love my drill press, got so many bad holes before it.

I 3d print drill guides now, and go thru 3-5 evolutions till they are basically perfect fits

I found a workshop in my area where members have access to a whole collection of tools. For less than $300/year, you can use all you need for personal projects. While there's a certain pride and convenience factor associated with owning your own tools, financially, and also practically, joining a club like that would make more sense in my case.

Second part to the initial question: For anyone trying to drill holes and ending up with a triangular shaped hole, you can remedy this problem by putting a couple of layers of cloth between the workpiece and bit. A pilot hole helps you get the bigger drill in the correct location. I think the primary cause of round holes is incorrect grind on the top of the drill. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

As for speeds, basically bigger drills need slower rpm due to the linear speed of the outer edge of the drill getting quicker with larger radius drills.

As for making, I do this when I don't want metal or paint marred by swirling dwarf. Sometimes, but not often.

You can get a lot of rocketry done with commonly available cordless drills (Makita / DeWalt / Milwaukee). I have a pair of Milwaukees that I use constantly. If I had to replace them I'd probably get Makita. The first upgrade you probably want is a set of numbered size "machine length" drills that are shorter than the standard jobber length ones. Almost all of the proper clearance and tap drill sizes for #2/4/6/8 screws are the numeric ones. The shorter machine length ones are a lot less prone to walking away from the center, and harder to break when using a handheld drill. Center punching and smaller pilot holes are *really* helpful too. If you drill a lot of fiberglass you'll want to look into a drill sharpener too, the glass is super abrasive and dulls the drills pretty quick.

Step drills are fantastic if you want to make nice round holes through thinner flat material like aluminum panels or composites.

A drill press really gets handy when you want to drill things bigger than 1/4"/6mm or go through thicker materials. I'd second the recommendation to get a floor standing one with lots of vertical envelope. I used a benchtop one for quite a few years but eventually got pretty frustrated by all the things that wouldn't fit. With the drill press it's easier to keep the larger holes round, and you can use hole saws to cut G12 or plywood bulkheads.

Drill press is a handy tool. I would suggest if you can can spring for the extra money get a full-height floor-standing model, with crank up and down table. Makes for a nice usable unit. YMMV.
^^^ yep you will find other uses for your drill press. I started with a bench top (actually a stand/clamp to hold and hand drill) and quickly became frustrated. I'm not into HPR, and didn't think I could justify a floor model but glad I did! Also when you start adding fixtures like a mill (or drill press) vise to hold your work things get easy. A "V" block is really handy for holding tubes (even for hand drilling). I got an angle plate and combined it with a home-made "V" block and some U bolts to drill weird stuff like this...BTW laser "X" finder was worth every penny. It was an add-on

Attachments

• DSC_2843.JPG
    DSC_2843.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_4326.JPG
    DSC_4326.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_4332.JPG
    DSC_4332.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 53
Just as an aside, be very careful using a center punch on fiberglass or carbon fiber tubes. I know of several cases where the punch cracked the tube, including a very expensive carbon fiber Mongoose (that was from a build thread posted here). If you don't buy a floor model, a sturdy table or stand makes a big difference. I have mine set up fairly high so it's easier to work with smaller tubes and other items.

Tony

^^^ yep you will find other uses for your drill press. I started with a bench top (actually a stand/clamp to hold and hand drill) and quickly became frustrated. I'm not into HPR, and didn't think I could justify a floor model but glad I did! Also when you start adding fixtures like a mill (or drill press) vise to hold your work things get easy. A "V" block is really handy for holding tubes (even for hand drilling). I got an angle plate and combined it with a home-made "V" block and some U bolts to drill weird stuff like this...BTW laser "X" finder was worth every penny. It was an add-on
If you have the skills, a welder, making a "benchtop" into a floor model is easy. I took my two bench tops and added a 24 inch "spool" (its what I call it) between the baseplate flange and the tube flange that would normally attach to the base plate. My two drill presses are a 15year old Delta benchtop and a many year old JET 12 or 14M (cant remember) 220volt with 5/8" chuck.

Thank you all for your input, it is very helpful! I have a follow up question- can anyone recommend a good source for v-blocks? It seems most are for relatively small diameters, and/or cost a lot. I suppose something out of delrin or other plastic would work fine too.

Harbor Freight sells good heavy aluminum v blocks that I often use to support 4 inch G-12 (or small diameter) tubes for drilling. I'd suggest you get 2 of them, about $5 each.

Harbor Freight sells good heavy aluminum v blocks that I often use to support 4 inch G-12 (or small diameter) tubes for drilling. I'd suggest you get 2 of them, about $5 each.
Do you have a link or item number for these?

Second part to the initial question: For anyone trying to drill holes and ending up with a triangular shaped hole, you can remedy this problem by putting a couple of layers of cloth between the workpiece and bit. A pilot hole helps you get the bigger drill in the correct location. I think the primary cause of round holes is incorrect grind on the top of the drill. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

As for speeds, basically bigger drills need slower rpm due to the linear speed of the outer edge of the drill getting quicker with larger radius drills.

As for making, I do this when I don't want metal or paint marred by swirling dwarf. Sometimes, but not often.

I always use 135deg split point drill bits for most materials. When drilling plastic or other soft materials, you want a drill bit that has "Negative Rake" on the cutting surface. This actually causes the point of contact to scrape the surface rather than digging in and jamming. This can be carefully ground on your drill bit yourself if you have a bench grinder and a fine stone. you only need to do a small area. For those skeptics...find an old bit, try it out on a piece of thin plastic. Then grind it and try it again. The difference is like night and day. Instead of grabbing and ruining your day, it will glide right thru. (For soft materials always back it up with a piece of scrap wood for a clean hole!)Metal_Cut_diag.svg.pngdrill bit.jpg

Do you have a link or item number for these?
Another idea, 3d print custom v-blocks/drill guides. you can get bronze bushings at most hardware stores make the 3d model to fit the bushings snugly, bond them in with epoxy. You can even make a radial guide with perfect angles for drilling rows of holes around the circunference of a tube. (Like for bolts on a scale model...)

RocketGuy101, where did you get that laser "X" finder? It looks like the bees knees!

RocketGuy101, where did you get that laser "X" finder? It looks like the bees knees!
My benchtop Delta came with a laser X marker, was not nearly as precise as it needed to be and was easily knocked out of whack, since most parts drilled are usually centerpunched/marked mine has lived in a shop drawer for most of the last 10 years. The best laser tool alignment device though has been the one on my Makita power miter saw once set it stays set and is quick and easy to use.

I thought it was an add-on? Can you recommend an add-on laser "X" finder that I can use for my drill press? It looks useful

I thought it was an add-on? Can you recommend an add-on laser "X" finder that I can use for my drill press? It looks useful
https://www.rockler.com/wixey-wl133-drill-press-laser-crosshairs
Change the table height, rezero the crosshairs. The main reason I don't use the crosshair laser is that I am constantly changing, bits, table heights and all kinds of things, the laser is good for production type drilling like drilling a hundred holes in a line.

Oh gosh, I don't remember where I got it...Harbor Freight, Grizzly? It looks like the one rharshberger posted (I leave the battery out when not using to prevent battery rot from ruining it...I've lost many flashlights and other items due to battery rot). I don't seem to have a problem with it when changing table height...you have to go through a calibration setup with it that aligns the lasers with a pointy shaft but they form a single vertical line on the side of the shaft...at least it has been close enough for my work. YMMV

EDIT: I can't tell from the Wixey picture, but on mine, each laser has two adjustments: horizontal and (semi) vertical. Would that make a difference?

Attachments

• 20200531_170509.jpg
    20200531_170509.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I’m probably not going to get a drill press anytime soon, but I would like something to help me guide my handheld drill. Has anyone got opinions or recommendations for guides for basic handheld drills?

Something like this? https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...MIhbi8wYzf6QIVviCtBh1xLQXCEAQYAiABEgIr9fD_BwE
I have a floor drillpress, so have never used the guide you posted. But I have used a hand held hole guide many times . It is made from tool steel with all the various size holes. Just set it on your work piece and drill away. it will guide the bit straight. i have had it for some many years i do not remember where I got it. But I know Starrett makes them.

found the box in my garage! It looks like a Harbor Freight product, but I couldn't find the model # on their website

Attachments

• 20200531_173731.jpg
    20200531_173731.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 17
I presume your intent is to drill accurate, round perpendicular holes in thin materials like body tubes. This is a task that is harder than it looks as the material (cardboard, phenolic, Quantum tube, Blue Tube, or fiberglass) is very thin and subject to deformation and tearing (in the case of cardboard or blue tube).

Your options are four: a laser cutter, a special punch, a mill, and drilling. Most of us can’t afford a laser cutter or a special punch, both of which are better suited to assembly line mass production. A mill will work great, except on friable material like cardboard or blue tube. The best option for most of us is to drill the holes by hand or with a drill press.

The first order of business is to mark the exact center of the hole to be drilled. If you are trying to drill multiple holes around the circumference of your tube, I find it best to lay out the hole positions on a sheet of paper that wraps around the tube, sort of like a fin guide but with cross marks where you want the holes to be. I transfer the hole positions with a Starrett scribe, which is super pointy and won’t deflect like a straight pin. All you need is a very tiny dimple. Do not use a center punch else you risk crushing the tube.

Next, you need to get your material to be drilled dead perpendicular to your drill. This will require a V-block aligned perpendicular and concentric with the drill chuck. I use this tool to center the V-block: Router bit centering pin.

As an alternative to a V-block you can use various jigs that have bushings or drill guides with the “V” integral to the device. These can be used free hand if you don’t have a drill press. I find the Plastic drill guide a bit sloppy, the Big Gator Drill Guide less so. Dog House Rocketry (Binder Design) used to make a metal jig with interchangeable bushings. It was great but is no longer in production.

Next is your choice of drill bit. I agree a 135 degree split point bit is probably best for hard material. Regrinding the tip is not for the faint of heart though, and can be a challenge if you are trying to do this on a 1/8” bit. Alternatives include a Black & Decker BulletPoint™ bit, which drills its own pilot hole. For cardboard and other fragile materials I use a brad point bit. The very pointy tip aligns perfectly with the prick mark made with the Starrett scribe and the cutter wings score the outer rim of the hole without tearing, though you have to feed slow. Don’t use those cheap Chinese or Fischer brad points. Get high quality ones from Fuller, Rockler or Lee Valley Tools.

If you are going to drill your hole without using a bushing, consider using the shortest bit possible. Machinist’s Center Drills are very stiff and short but their tips are made for drilling metal and will not make a neat hole in cardboard. If you are using brad point bits, you’ll be stuck with what you get.

The tube to be drilled should be supported on the inside so that the pressure of the drilling operation does not deform the tube or cause blow-out at the back exit of the hole. Use a heavy coupler or a piece of turned material that can be slipped inside the body tube for support.

Finally, use an appropriate RPM on your drill press. For most of the material used in rocketry, use the "softwood" setting from a speed guide like this: https://images.meredith.com/wood/images/pdf/speedchart.pdf. Advance the quill slowly, especially with cardboard, so as to prevent tear-out. And practice on a piece of scrap first.

Oh, and that laser? Fuhgeddaboudit. It’s not accurate enough, it takes too much fiddling and the illumination is too intense to see the subtle pencil or prick marks you are trying to center on.

Hope this helps.

Another trick to drilling cardboard tube is to use water thin CA to soak the area of the hole, I usually put a bit of CA on the surface then after it cures drill part of the hole exposing fresh cardboard (usually about half way through tube) then add a bit more CA let it soak for a minute and cure then drill the rest of the hole, the bit for cardboard is almost always a brad point wood bit.

Back