Dremel 1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
It's snowing in Mansfield Texas so I thought I'd post my Dremel 1 build. The design goal of this project was to use the dremel to make a tail cone from a Bertha nosecone and build a rocket around it.

The Dremel 1 was inspired by U812. On his incredible website he has pix of him using a Dremel tool to cut a plastic model sub kit in half lengthwise.

The tail cone

First I cut off the the bottom of the nose cone. It was sized so a BT-50 would fit flush from the inside, but not pass through.

Next the base of the nose cone was cut off leaving only the sides to attach the tail cone to the body tube.

So far so good. Started with 10 fingers. Ended with 10 fingers.

tail raw post.jpg

tail gray side post.jpg

tail gray post.jpg

tail gray looking down post.jpg

The motor mount is a really a motor mount within a motor mount.

The inner motor mount is a 5.5" (corrected from 6.5" in original post) piece of BT-20.

Two BT-20 to BT-50 spacers were used with one glued flush to the end where the motor goes.

inner motor mount post.jpg

Last edited:
So far so good. Started with 10 fingers. Ended with 10 fingers.

are your toes webbed as well - inbreeding can cause some interesting extras on people.

(sorry could not help myself)

looking forward to the rest of the build.

(from a 8 fingered 2 thumbed dremel user)

The outer motor mount is a 5" length of BT-50 with BT-60 mounting rings.

A kevlar shock chord is attached to the upper ring.

The inner motor mount is glued in placed, flush with the bottom of the outer motor mount. Approx 1/2" of the BT-20 protrudes from the top.

motor mount post.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, all of my 13 toes are perfectly normal. Not even the slightest bit of webbing between them.

The body is an 8" length of BT-60.

I got lazy on the fins and used some left over Baby Bertha fins. These will most likely be modified before the dust settles.

Body and fins post.jpg

The motor mount is glued in place with approx 2" protruding from the bottom of the body.

Body and motor mount post.jpg

This is what it looks like today.

The nose cone is from Estes. It came in a BT-60 nose cone assortment pack (NC-60a Nose Cone). What an incredible bargain. The nose cone used for the tail came from the same pack.

More to be added and posted as it is.

Body with nose post.jpg

Lookin good so far!

Something about a tail fairing just gives an extra special look.

I think from what I have seen you are.

I love my son, but I wish he wouldn't have put that tag line on there. I can't figure how to get it off!

Andrew
Dark Lord Of The Scratch Builders

I've started working on the electronics for Dremel 1.

So far I've completed the wiring harness for two LEDs. One blue and one white. More to follow.

Completed LED harness post.jpg

Completed LED harness on post.jpg

This project is starting to look like mold growing on bread. The longer it sits, the more strange things start growing on it. Case in point is the addition of a booster pod. Dry fit pix below.

The nozzle is a modified version of the same nose cone used here. I used some sand paper to rough it up a bit. Flat black spray is patchy. There is little doubt in my mind that this thing has been around the universe a few times.

Booster pod dry fit post.jpg

Booster pod rear angle post.jpg

Booster pod nozzel detail post.jpg

Nope, all of my 13 toes are perfectly normal. Not even the slightest bit of webbing between them.

So do you have the 5 - 8 combo or just the normal 6 and 7? I think the term "flip-flop" originated with a whole family with the 5- 8 toe combo. When they walked bare foot that's what it sounded like: flip-FLOP...flip -FLOP.

Hey, don't blame me. I didn't start this. :)

Oh come on, there's always more than enough blame to go around.

Can't you just count your own? I have 6 on my right foot and 7 on my left foot just like everyone else. Unless of course you have some kind of weird toe mutation thing going on ............................

Still working on Dremel 1. More soon.

Cockpit has been glued to the fuselage.

1/2 a ping pong ball (single edge razor blade for this one) sanded to more or less fit contour of fuselage and some super glue.

Dremel 1 cockpit post.jpg

Dremel 1 cockpit top post.jpg

Got more done tonight than I thought I would.

Nose cone painted and leds installed.

Blue led at front and white underneath.

Last post for tonight.
My beautiful bride is sleeping quietly.
Time to spend a little quality time with my x-box.

Nose cone with leds post.jpg

Nose cone front led angle post.jpg

Nose cone white led post.jpg

Nose cone and cockpit post.jpg

Had a fantastic Japenesy New Year's party at the house last night. I met my friends when I joined a hobby robotics club (www.dprg.org.) I'm trying to get them to build rockets.

Anyway, the work continues.

Decided to run my wiring chase inside the body tube. Had a piece of carbon fiber tubing on hand. A little heavy, but perfect for the job.

wiring chase post.jpg

Only 1 full day of winter break left.

Started painting the fuselage. I not very good at painting. The distressed look will help me out here. I found that by sanding off primer in small places you can get a nice worn look. All the other unintentional surface blemishes now become a valuable part of the whole been around the universe a few times conceit.

Bottom is gray post.jpg

Botom masked post.jpg

First look at color scheme.

Finishing and painting continue to be a weakness. I hope practice will eventually make better than before.

Paint 2 tone first post.jpg

Don't worry. I have the same problem.

I have no problem designing rockets, or even putting them together, but when it comes to finishing them, I have no imagination.

They either come out with terrible stripes or just one solid color.

How about if we both keep working on it?

Andrew

Sweet looking rocket! I read the title and had hopes for what this thread might have been, maybe someone else will jump on this: anyone made a rocket to resemble a Dremel to honor the great service they have given rocket-builders?
Just throwin' that out there...
Reed

Don't worry. I have the same problem.

I have no problem designing rockets, or even putting them together, but when it comes to finishing them, I have no imagination.

They either come out with terrible stripes or just one solid color.

How about if we both keep working on it?

Andrew

I hear you brother. I've used a lot of flat paint ostensibly to give my rockets a more military look and while this is true, it's just much easier to use flat paint.

Taking baby steps, this one uses - drum roll please - matte finish.

Sweet looking rocket! I read the title and had hopes for what this thread might have been, maybe someone else will jump on this: anyone made a rocket to resemble a Dremel to honor the great service they have given rocket-builders?
Just throwin' that out there...
Reed

Thanks Reed.

An intriguing idea............................. I wonder how a metal cutoff saw would look as a nose cone?

This is it for tonight.

Got my first look at the final color patter. Needs a lot of touch up before I can even look into adding details.

First look color pattern post.jpg

Back