Drawing Nose Cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tHoagland

Rocket Builder
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since I'm laid up recovering from foot surgery, I'm using the time to start on my L3 documentation and planning. As part of my planning, I wanted to draw the rocket in CAD, particularly, in Rhino 5. Since I was looking for a fair level of accuracy in the drawing, I spent some time looking for tools to create an "exact" nose cone curve. I was surprised to find it wasn't straight forward. So I wrote a small python script to produce a list of of points that define a Haack series nose cone profile. This list of points can be copied into a rhino iron python script to create the curve. If anyone is interested in the script, it is copied below.

How have you accomplished this? Did I miss a simpler solution?

This was written under the influence of heavy pain meds, so use with caution....

Code:
#########################################################
#  Haack Series Nose Cone Designer
#########################################################
# This simple script will design and plot the a Haack
# series nose cone based on the Equations found at
#   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_cone_design
#
# The author was only interested in a Von Karman nose
# cone with C=0, and therefore it is the only value tested.
# 
# This code uses numpy for calculation and matplotlib for
# display.  If you set plot to False, matplotlib is
# ignored
#

import numpy

plot =True          # Set to False if you don't want to display the result
createTuples=True   # If true will create point tuples for import into Rhino

noseLength  = 33    # Total nosecone length in the units of your choosing
baseDia     = 6.25  # Diameter at the base of the nose cone in the same units as noseLength
xResolution = .1    # Determines how often the equation is evaluated 
c           = 0     # C=0 for LD-Haack (Von Kaarman)

x = numpy.arange(0, noseLength+xResolution, xResolution)  # X values evaluated
th = numpy.arccos(1-(2*x/noseLength))                     
sc = 0.5*baseDia/numpy.sqrt(numpy.pi)                     # sclaing coefficent 
y = sc *numpy.sqrt(th-(numpy.sin(2*th)/2)+(c*numpy.sin(th)**3))  # Half nose cone profile

if createTuples:
    z=numpy.zeros_like(x)
    tList = (numpy.array([numpy.flipud(y),z, x]).T).tolist()    #y,z,x will transpose y/X so that the nosecone points up

if plot:
    from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
    plt.plot(x,y, color='b')
    plt.plot(x,-1*y, color='b')
    plt.axes().set_aspect('equal', 'datalim')
    plt.show()

*********************************************************************************************************************
Rhino Script:

Code:
import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
tList = [[3.125, 0.0, 0.0]... [3.1245578867946904, 0.0, 0.1]]      # Copy from resulting tList from top script here
rs.AddInterpCurve(tList)

I cheat and use SolidWorks.
Fortunately for me, it has an Equation-Driven line tool where I can input the function for Haak, parabolic, etc.... nosecones.
Check if Rhino has such a feature that could save you time.

BlackBrandt, if you still.have access to SldWrks, you should play around with it. Good for creating complex curved-fin routing profiles too.

I'd hoped that Rhino had an equation-line tool, and it might, but I couldn't find any documentation for it. Solidworks is great but at ~$4k, it wasn't in the budget. On the plus side, this forced me to start exploring the Rhino Python interface which may open up a lot of other projects.

Go to Dan at Python Rocketry and let him do the math and build for you... He does great work for a reasonable price. Otherwise you are wasting your time and $'s doing it yourself...

I already have the nose cone. I'm playing with designing a nosecone AV bay and want to make sure it fits. Also, there is some level of satisfaction from doing it yourself. Its a hobby, by definition a waste of time and money.

Back