Drawing a Straight & Plumb Line Along 48" Length Tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the foam disk method many times. I have a few observations

I like that rocket!
Nice stuff.
Any idea how much it weighs, esp in comparison to other build methods?
I have seen some work on people foam filling 3d printed parts and feel that has a lot of promise like
this foam disk method.

TonyL: Nice job. Have you considered covering it in a light-weight fiberglass cloth? One of my 2020 goals is to complete my blue foam YF-12 that will be about 4 foot long. Like you, I have a central 29mm engine stuffer tube with stacked blue foam segents. The challenge will be to sand the foam, much like yours, and then give it a surface to keep everything together. Are you planning on covering Marvin the Martin with a foam friendly epoxy or a foam friendly epoxy + fiberglass?

I will cover mine with a fiberglass cloth. That's why I'm not super-concerned with the adhesive used between the foam disks, except for the curling issue. Thanks for the tip about a foam-friendly epoxy.......I didn't even consider that.

Mine should weight about 45 pounds when finished- a fair portion of the weight will be in the nose section, which I'll probably bring down with it's own parachute.

Back