Drago EX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you guys please have this discussion somewhere besides my new kit release thread.
Thank You
Tim

Lol,,,
I was just thinking something along this when I read it...
Perfect timing...

The new Drago is smokin,,
And with a 75mm motor mount,,
I bet there's going to be quite a few of them tickling waivers coast to coast...

Teddy

How long is the main chute bay?
you are close Gary its 22" long

Is that 22" total tube length or 22" effective bay length (implying a total tube length of ~30")

It looks like that piece of tube is 22", and the switch band is 2", so bulkhead to bulkhead is 17"-18" if you put a bulkhead on the nosecone coupler.

Looking at their website, the components appear to be the same dimensionally as the Competitor 4, just change the nosecone to 4:1 and change the fin profile, so you could use a sim file for one those as a starting point.

Awesome kit. Hope I can add one to the fleet some day =)

If anyone wants to buy one and trade it straight across for a NIB RW Fiberglass Mongoose 75, send me a PM ;)

To get extra space in main chute tube I install the nose cone coupler plates on the top of coupler. I has worked very well for me. Just make sure you use a couple and airframe plates. You will gain the length of couple in room.

That nosecone can be fully empty. Just attach shock cord directly to the aluminum tip via eyebolt. So your effective payload space is the payload tube plus about 14" of nosecone

That nosecone can be fully empty.

Could be....but is also a good place to put a tracker...which is my preferred use.
Also spanning the chute with the break point is not wise in my opinion, which drives the deployment point to the Ebay.
Really just prefer a "proper" length chute bay.
This is a perennial problem with kits trying to cut costs.
That and the need to buy a second coupler to make the motor section anti-zipper.

Last edited:
That nosecone can be fully empty.

Could be....but is also a good place to put a tracker...which is my preferred us.
Also spanning the chute with the break point is not wise in my opinion, which drives the deployment point to the Ebay.
Really just prefer a "proper" length chute bay.
This is a perennial problem with kits trying to cut costs.
That and the need to buy a second coupler to make the motor section anti-zipper.

And I thought I overbuilt...
To each their own, I guess.
I'll bet Tim would make a longer payload of you're willing to pay the extra. He's done similar things before for requests.

And I thought I overbuilt...

Maybe, but the smallest it would be flown on is a 5-grain 75mm M-1800ish motor.
Which would push up the return weight, requiring a bigger chute which is hard to fit in net 14-inches of bay.

Last edited:
Ok - what kind of chute is a Recon50 then?? Clearly I'm asking about the chute here....

It's Wildman's version of the Skyangle chute. Here's a link:
https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowProducts.aspx?Class=868&Sub=1381

Pretty durable, heavy duty chute with tubular nylon shroud lines.
005-3.jpg

012.jpg

Last edited:
Tim flew the Drago EX today at Tripoli Wisconsin. Video will be posted soon. Great flight!

It's Wildman's version of the Skyangle chute. Here's a link:
https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowP...s=868&Sub=1381

OK - that helps a lot - not sure why google didn't find it.
Looks like I would need to upsize the chute to the 60" at a minimum .... 12# is not enough with a big 75mm motor coming back to the playa at Balls.

I use an 84" Top Flight parasheet in my Dynacom Scorpion. It has an 18" long payload section which fits the Top Flight parachute, 18"x18" Nomex, and 15' of 1/4" Kevlar cord without issue. No need for bulky chutes like a Recon/Skyangle/SkyAngel or whatever they call them these days.

As far as the Recon 50 goes, it folds up to about 6" of maybe 3" diameter. Really easy to pack. Wrap in Nomex, absolutely zero trouble packing into the space provided. Tim had about 20 feet of nylon cord plus the chute bundle and there was plenty of room to spare.

Back