Drag reduction with rough surfaces?? Anyone studied this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrap a body tube with sandpaper outer wraps. Use different grits. Compare altimeter data from ricket launch with no sandpaper wraps versus various grit wraps.
That's a great idea, and ought to be a decent research project for some high school student interested in rocketry.

I know people have put forth different hypotheses as to what would or wouldn't happen...but I was primarily interested in seeing if anyone had actually done experiment(s) with model rockets, how they did them, what were the results. (I spent the first three months of my time at VA Tech chasing a perfectly reasonable hypothesis that turned out to be wrong. Oh well, at least we know *why* it was wrong.)

Wonder if painting the sandpaper with gloss, matte, and/or flat paint would make a difference. Just spitballing.

Sure, that would make a good science project. In general I don't think turbulent flow is going to help rocket designs. The skin drag is going to be higher. Golf balls, it will help because the form drag reduction is crucial. Most rockets don't look like golf balls.

A 1% decrease in fuel usage with the AEROshark skin. With all the varying conditions during flight, this claim makes one wonder just how they did the testing?

Did they fly two planes, side by side, under identical conditions to verify identical fuel usage? Then applied the film to one plane and then conducted the test again?

Are individual jet engines similar enough such that their own fuel mileage, from one engine to another, are within 1%?
Airlines track the fuel burn of each individual airframe over thousands of flight hours. The data is VERY precise. A 1% decrease would be apparent over a period of time. I'm told they can even account for how efficient individual pilots are flying. Over 1000 data points are collected continuously for each flight, and analyzed for safety and fuel burn.

Airlines track the fuel burn of each individual airframe over thousands of flight hours. The data is VERY precise. A 1% decrease would be apparent over a period of time. I'm told they can even account for how efficient individual pilots are flying. Over 1000 data points are collected continuously for each flight, and analyzed for safety and fuel burn.
Truck Transport companies do much the same thing, just adding side skirts and a boattail to the trailer (folding type) can save 1400-1500 of fuel per year, driver technique can save some more, and additional aero devices can add a little to that.

"To Make Rockets Fly Farther Dimple Them Like Golf Balls" - Good article in Forbes published at the end of January 2024 on the subject, link below. As an aside, back in the mid-1970's when I was an undergrad aeronautics operations major (before switching to business once the USN had accepted me into an aviation program that no longer exists) I took a course in aerodynamics. The professor was also a semi-pro golfer (Betty Hicks) and she started the class off with several lectures and an academic paper on the aerodynamics of a golf ball, where the concept of boundary layer was introduced and of course the effects of dimpling the ball to increase range and the ball spin to create lift. From there we progressed into aircraft aerodynamics, the golf ball discussion was a great introduction.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericte...-dimple-them-like-golf-balls/?sh=428f8c15b435

1707666739314.png

Dimpling is useful to prematurely trip the flow to turbulent so that it stays attached to the shape longer. You gain drag from dimpling, but you lose drag from keeping the flow attached longer, thereby reducing the form drag.

Shapes which are already fairly aerodynamic, and particularly if they are not at low Reynolds numbers, aren't going to benefit from dimpling. On the contrary, it will increase the drag.

Even if one thought dimpling the nosecone of a rocket were a good idea...

Dimpling is just one form of turbulator. What you are doing is attaching a turbulator to the surface of the object in question.

Now a golf ball has no preferred orientation. So to get the turbulator to work well, it has to be pretty much everywhere. Hence the dimpling all around it.

A rocket has a preferred orientation...

Now a turbulator typically trips the flow to turbulent 10-20% downstream of the turbulator, relative to object size. But that's for airfoils on wings.

The flow on a rocket nosecone should intrinsically be fully laminar or nearly so, which provides the lowest drag you are going to get for that portion of the rocket's total surface area. How far flow can remain laminar after that is TBD... Depends on Reynolds number, shape, Mach number, angle of attack, spin, oscillation (unsteady flow), and possibly some more etceteras of decreasing importance.

Generally a boattail is a more appropriate solution for a rocket. Having dimples a little ahead of the boattail may help the flow stay attached around the boattail better, thereby reducing form drag. Whether that is a net win or loss for drag depends on some things...

For one, while the motor is burning, the form drag is lower by quite a bit. That's useful for those trying for high altitude flights. Integral of drag force over time + integral of gravity force over time gives energy lost to gain the altitude.

At low altitude, atmospheric pressure is highest. But the motor is burning so form drag is intrinsically lower. You'll have the cost of the drag induced by the dimples, but will lack the intended benefit. The rocket exhaust plume is filling the hole at the base of the rocket just fine.

Then at higher altitude, the motor cuts off. Now this is a region where dimples or some other technique to keep the flow attached and form a narrower wake could potentially offer some benefits. But atmospheric pressure is already reduced somewhat or a lot, depending on the flight profile. So the benefit on that integral of drag is reduced a little or a lot.

However the cost of the additional skin drag from the dimples was there the whole time.

So for a rocket, assuming performance is the goal, dimpling is unlikely to yeild a benefit and is more likely to yield cost.

And in the transonic to supersonic range, that cost may be quite high.

(I didn't proofread the above unlike usual - I'm out of time. So hopefully I didn't typo anything or leave off anything basic)

Gerald

In late 2022, the rocket was launched and flown with each nosecone variant. With the dimpled nose, it achieved a peak 41% reduction in drag and an average drag reduction of 20% while flying at Mach 0.64 according to Rodriguez. “Those are good numbers, but I believe we can do better than that,” he asserts.

That appears to be a standard ogive shape nose cone. Is the dimpled cone being compared to a raw, unsurfaced filament-printed cone of the same shape? What about an actual smooth, surfaced nose cone of the same shape?

I wonder if the improvement is just moving it more toward the improvement that could be attained by designing a smooth surfaced Von Karman nose cone?

Can they plot the observed reduction in drag across the speed range? Mach 0.64 isn't that impressive in lots of rocketry circles.

How does that stack up against reductions across the range (and through transonic into supersonic) that could be attained with optimized smooth-surface form design?

How would the performance of an optimized smooth-surface design be altered by dimpling?

I've thought that the place to start would be probably a long burner that spends a good deal of time transonic. Maybe a 2stager, bump up to m.8, stage, then slow push up to m1.3 or so. If that's repeatable and there's a difference, should be fairly evident.

Back