Drag Racing, AstroCam Style!...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to capture Dan's AstroCam in one of my flight videos. The first is the tracking smoke trail.

7-23 drag race 2 Dan 1.JPG

Now you can see the AstroCam's fins just above the horizon.

7-23 drag race 2 Dan 2.JPG

A little better shot of the AstroCam's fins and body.

7-23 drag race 2 Dan 3.JPG

I'll add the links to the videos once I've uploaded them.

Here's the two images your AstroCam caught of my AlphaCam in flight. The parachute is just deploying.

7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 117.JPG

Now the parachute is more open.

7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 129.JPG

I flipped your last two pics upside down.

Your parachute was already deploying and mine was still furled.

DarenRecovery0.jpg

DarenRecovery.jpg

Model rocket drag races yesterday at Harris Ranch with on-board video...

My Estes AstroCam is on the left, my brother Daren's Estes Alpha III with Universal AstroCam is on the right. So far, we're neck and neck.

View attachment 525665

I got the hole shot and I'm ahead for now...

Note the shadows of both rockets on the ground on the right side of the photo.

View attachment 525666

Daren's catching up...

View attachment 525667

He's almost caught me...

View attachment 525668

Dang! He's passing me!

View attachment 525669

At the moment of parachute ejection. Puff of smoke is from the ejection charge. Shock cord is lazily paying out. Scorched ejection wadding has been popped out of the rocket body tube.

View attachment 525670

Ready for landing. I almost caught it.

View attachment 525671

That. Is. Awesome!!

This is our first drag race between my AlphaCam and Dan's AstroCam at the Chili Blaster XI, hosted by the So. Colo. Rocketeers on 7/23/22.

This is the video I caught of our second drag race at the Chili Blaster XI.

Chili Blaster AstroCam Drag Race Slideshow!

I created this slideshow using the screen grabs from Dan's AstroCam during our first AstroCam vs. AlphaCam drag race at the '22 Chili Blaster. It's not the complete flight, just highlights. Will the AstoCam land in the trash can?

It sure seemed like it would never open, especially at 1 frame/second. ;)

I looked at some of my frame grabs. It looks like one of the shroud lines became fouled during ejection which delayed the parachute's deployment.

7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 72.JPG7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 73.JPG7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 74.JPG7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 75.JPG7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 76.JPG7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 77.JPG7-23-22 chili blaster dan race 78.JPG

Last edited:
It sure seemed like it would never open, especially at 1 frame/second. ;)

I looked at some of my frame grabs. It looks like one of the shroud lines became fouled during ejection which delayed the parachute's deployment.

In the future I'll have to be more careful about how I pack my chute.

I don't think it was how the chute was packed. It looked like one of the shrouds got pulled while deploying. All of your launches opened the chute; I had one "tumble-recovery" that didn't open the chute.

I don't think it was how the chute was packed. It looked like one of the shrouds got pulled while deploying. All of your launches opened the chute; I had one "tumble-recovery" that didn't open the chute.

The shroud lines didn't end up very even with each other once I finished winding them around the parachute. It was probably one of the 'loose' ones that got entangled.

Or, I need to use powder on the outside as well as the inside of the chute so the plastic doesn't stick to itself.

Or, both. :cool:

Back