Dr. Zooch's line of Saturns available for pre-order!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate all the comments about the kits and packaging. I'll be sure to pass them along to Wes, too. And you're right, Mike. It has been very busy around here. My wife is in West Virginia, so I'm having to do all the cooking and stuff (I hope I make it:)) in addition to my regular stuff and shipping all these Zooch models out. Now the second batch is here, so I'll be busy trying to get them out now. The work on my shop is slow going. I've missed 2 of my self-imposed deadlines so far in getting it open. Maybe it'll take off when my wife gets back and takes a little pressure off me.
The good comments are an uplifting sight. I really appreciate them.

Doug

I know you're swamped and so I hate to bug you, but I never received any email confirmation of my order (two Saturns), placed sometime in the first half of September. Should I have? Probably I should just sit tight and wait...but if my order didn't go through, I want to place another one pronto. (If id did go through, can you tell me which batch my order is in?).

Thanks!
Dave

Originally posted by sandman
Do this instead of two Saturn V's

Build one as a Saturn V

Build the second one as a Saturn/Skylab (see the latest Sport Rocketry mag.)

Use the extra Apollo Capsule and BT54 tube (Service Module tube) and make a clone of the Little Joe II to fly on Mini engines.

https://www.dars.org/jimz/est0892.htm

I was thinking exactly the same thing, Sandman... Between the Estes kits, the Alway, and the Zooch, I've got to make at least one of 'em a Saturn-Skylab. Probably makes the most sense to build one of the Estes kits as a Skylab.

I picked up an extra Apollo capsule from Moldin' Oldies and I was gonna just whip up a LJII from scratch. I do have an Estes Little Joe II kit in my attic, too.

Of course, I might just leave one of the Saturn Vs sealed in the box and see what it's worth in 10 years... :D

Included in the instructions for the Dr. Zooch kits is an e-mail address for requesting the RockSim files. I e-mailed the good doctor to get the files. He e-mailed me back yesterday to tell me that he'd send the files after he got some rest. Seems he'd been in Mojave watching Spaceship One. I replied something to the effect of "you suck!" Got the files today with a return message that one of his Klyde Morris dolls was part of the ballast on that flight. I'm not sure, but I think I *hate* this guy ;). Oh...one more tidbit. According to the e-mail, it seems Dr. Zooch is working on kits of the Russian R-7 series. Hubba Hubba!!!

Originally posted by davidschaller
I know you're swamped and so I hate to bug you, but I never received any email confirmation of my order (two Saturns), placed sometime in the first half of September. Should I have? Probably I should just sit tight and wait...but if my order didn't go through, I want to place another one pronto. (If id did go through, can you tell me which batch my order is in?).

Thanks!
Dave

Howdy Dave. I looked back through my records and my paypal account records and couldn't find any order with the name David Schaller. Email me your email address and, if you can find it, your paypal transaction ID # so I can double check this.

Wes had hoped to be able to ship the third batch to me today, but with the trip and all, it'll probably be next Thursday before he can ship them. I'm going to try to get the rest of the second batch out today and tomorrow morning.

He has a bunch of other not-so-common kits in the works, too, but he asked me not to tell :D

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
He has a bunch of other not-so-common kits in the works, too, but he asked me not to tell :D

Count me in as a fan and future buyer of the Russian R-7's. Can't wait to see what else he has coming.

BTW, you can follow my rolling review of building the SA-6/10 here .

bump....

Doug-

has shipment 3 arrived yet.............?

Just curious.

:) :)

Originally posted by seo
Doug-

Any update on shipment 3?:) :) :)

It is in my hands now and I'm working feverishly to get it shipped this week. My wife elected to stay in West Virginia a couple weeks past schedule to see some family that was coming up from Florida, so I am still in dire straits around here. Working on it, though. They have had just about enough of this little trip and are really homesick. I'll be getting 'em back this weekend for sure.

I've gotten precious little done to my store in the last few weeks with all this going on, but all I really lack is the lights, a couple new doors, and carpet. I plan on kicking it into overdrive after the wife and kids get home so I can have it open in time for Thanksgiving.

Meanwhile, I'm working on the next batch of kits for Rebar. My wife got into the act and being one of those big-time downtown D.C. executroids, she went over the sales and order trends and decided that we needed enough materials to make 1,000 kits! So now I have a thousand kit boxes and several miles of parachute line, bundels of shock cord and wouldn't you know it... Totally Tubular is down again! I need to order hundreds of tubes, I finally have enough cash flow to do it and he's down!! Sheeesh. I also called Balsa Machining Service (who does all of my nose cones and adapters) and spoke to Bill... when I told him about the 1,000 kits thing- there was this long silance on the other end of the phone... then he just moaned "oh geeeeee." I didn't have the heart to tell him about the next 1,000.

I want everyone who wants one to get a Dr. Zooch kit for Christmas to get one. So I'm enslaving elves into forced labor, much as they did to make the V-2s, and have established the Dr. Zooch middle works in the crawlspace beneath my house. Every now and then I shout down through the floor vents "Work harder!... My wife wants a King Air!"

Get those elves a-crackin'! I've got two more on order and have been going through Zooch withdrawal since finishing my IB.

Nope. That and the Saturn V are what's on order. I think I'm in the 4th wave of orders from Rebar.

I've got some bad news on the latest shipment. Wes had a dire medical emergency come up with a member of his family (I'll let him elaborate if he chooses to) and it might be a little bit before I get some more in.

Very sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a swift resolution to Wes and his family.

Doug, realize Wes's situation makes it difficult to speculate, but any idea when batch 4 might ship?

Originally posted by illini
Very sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a swift resolution to Wes and his family.

Doug, realize Wes's situation makes it difficult to speculate, but any idea when batch 4 might ship?

To tell you the truth, I really don't know. If I had to guess, I would say a couple of weeks, but that's just a guess. I'd hate to pressure Wes with a schedule right now. He had another situation right before this that wasn't good. I'm kind of a private person myself, so I'm wary about telling other people's business in public. As soon as I get word, I'll let ya'll know something.

Concur about privacy and relative importance of shipments vs. family affairs. However, with Christmas around the corner, we appreciate your keeping us posted on the status of shipments.

Yup, its best to keep the details of such events private, unless the person has asked to pass them on. I hope his issues get resolved.

I've waited this many years for a practical neat looking Saturn V and a few more weeks won't kill me. Hoping for the best for the good Dr. and his family.

To everyone- I'm home again after a really bad month. Here's the basic story. First I had to have some really nasty dental stuff done to repair a repair on an old hockey hurt. Then, about the time the pain pills ran out, my dad went into the hosp. back home with congestive heart failure (He's 73 and had a bad heart attack 12 years ago). While there they discovered advanced lung cancer in him- which really shook the family. Being the oldest kid of 3 it was my place todrop everything and drive to Michigan to take care of family matters and Mom. We've been doing hurry-up-and-wait for the last dozen days and I've been sent back here to take care of my assorted businesses. Dad may actually get home, but his prognosis (is that how ya' spell it?) is not good.

ALL of my orders will be shipped and everyone who wants a kit will get one. Dad bought me my first rocket (an MPC Flare) in 1969 and he gets a real kick out of seeing my new kits sell like hot cakes- so I'm going to dive back into the job to help him smile and help me stay sane. I thank you all for your kind words now and for those that you may wish to post. INSTEAD- let's stay on topic and just talk about the kits. It's the best thing for my business :-}

Wes

OK

I just got the shipment of Zooch models in that fed-ex couldn't locate for a week, and Wes has already sent another shipment which will be here in a few days, so between these two, I should have enough to cover all the remaining pre-orders. As usual, I'll be working overtime to get them all out ASAP.

Thanks to everyone who has been so patient on this.

Doug

I intend on kicking some boat tail in 2005. Currently I'm illustrating and writing instructions for several new kits. Keeping up with parts is always the hard part, however, and doing that during the holiday season is worse. I'm currently waiting on a good sized tube order from Totally Tubular that I placed 3 weeks ago and my other sources for tubes are closed until after New Years. Coming from an airline background, these holiday and weekend closings are hard to fathom. I'm used to doing business 24/7/365, but then again, everyone gave me a break for my dad's passing... so I can't complain.

I told Doug at Rebar that my goal is to have enough kits ready to go in January so that he could just ouder up and I could shove 'em in a box and send 'em. Additionally, I want to go to NARAM this year with a ton of kits so I can sell 'em and not sell out in 4 hours like I did last year.

Back