Dr. Zooch's line of Saturns available for pre-order!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm completely sold out of Saturn 1B's on the second shipment, so I've stopped taking pre-orders on them. Wes is out of town until tomorrow on business so I'll try to get with him early next week on a possible schedule for more. I am almost sold out of the others and I'll be shutting down those pre-orders soon as well. One more thing: Thanks a lot, people, for not saving me any!:D I guess I should have got on the ball and marked a couple for myself, but I had no idea they would go this fast.

Got a little news on the Saturns, not really good either, but not too bad. Here's the email I got from da' man:

There's going to be a week delay in getting my custom balsa parts from BMS. Here's the story- Bill at BMS was supposed to get a shipment of balsa stock, but his supplier did not get his shipment on time because hurricane Charlie forced the ship that had the containers with the wood to not be able to make port in Florida. The whole thing trickled down and .....

Wes

So it's not too bad, but a little good news is that we might be getting the second shipment a little sooner, but nothing definite. I left off a little bit of the email because it talked about some "upcoming" stuff that we don't want to get "out" yet. I'll let ya know what that is as soon as I can, too. It's so HARD for me to keep a secret:D

Another update..
I got this email and wanted to share it with you.

Good news- My tubes are here, I'm cutting away...kits will be ready to receive balsa parts as soon as they come in.
Wes

I'll try to keep you updated as much as I can as we get close to "zero hour" on the shipment. I still can't believe we sold all those kits in a one week period!

Another update. Here's part of an email I got today:

BMS order got here this evening and work on mods will begin tomorrow.

Wes

Basically all he has to do now, I think, is a little prep work to the parts and start putting them in the kits. Hopefully it won't be too long before they'll ship to me and I can get them shipped out.
I now have another shipment worked out with him which should ship about 4 weeks from now. The first two batches sold out in a little over a week. This will be first come, first serve, too, so don't wait too long. They go fast.
I've opened pre-orders, but I cannot guarantee this low pricing after this lot. As you know by now, these kits cost almost as much to put together as we are charging for them, so it doesn't leave much in the way of profit for Wes or me, but on my end, they've been a good traffic-getter, so it's been worth it for me even with very little profit. And I've still got that "big announcement" coming up that I eluded to last week:D I'm tickled pink and scared out of my wits at the same time. But that's a story for another thread:)

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
I'm tickled pink and scared out of my wits at the same time. But that's a story for another thread:)

Thank you for the update. BTW, if you have an overwhelming response to your announcement - as a vendor - I think that's a problem I would love to have!

Wes, can you post/email the recommended motors for these kits so I can get them into EMRR's database? TIA

And everyone who buys one MUST write a review :)

Doh, just saw this info on the website :eek:

Any ideas when these will ship? I really would hate to think these are the same ones that are currently selling on Ebay. The reason I say this is it seems a little strange to pay for a rocket that I don't have and it's on auction somewhere else. Can you shed any light on at least an estinmated delivery time?

Thanks

That's Wes himself selling a few he has finished on Ebay. They are scheduled to ship to me today. Here's the latest email I got from him yesterday concerning the first batch:

Another small snag. I hauled the box to our local (relative term) pack-n-ship place, but they refused to take it. Although they do FedEx ground, they won't do so using a third party account number. She claims that FedEx always charges her rather than the given account and wanted me to promis to come in and pay her if that happened again. What kind of a nut...? Anyhow I promised to leave her store and never come back. Now I will have to drive into Annapolis to the actual FedEx office to ship. That's over an hour round trip for me.The baby is teething and so 15 minutes in the car seat today is pretty rough, let alone an hour, so I'm not doing that solo. I'm going into town tomorrow morning anyhow- so that's when we'll ship. I tried to schedule a pick up, but the soonest they can get out here is the next business day- Monday. I'm not going to send it by FedEx Express, you'd not make a dime off of these then because everything would be eaten up by shipping costs. I figure you won't mind to wait one more day.

Wes

So hopefully they'll be shipping to me this morning. More good news is that the second batch will be shipping a lot sooner than anticipated, probably this time next week. I'll let ya'll know when I get them.

Good News!!!!!

Here's the latest email I got from Wes:

It's in the FedEx Ground system, on its way to you.

FYI- I posted the SA-5 kit on e-bay for the first time and it caused a stir, so I sent all of those who want to buy it right away (or at least pay for it right away) to your web site along with my assurance that your third block of advanced orders would be to Rebar on time.

Wes

Won't be long now, and the second block of orders won't be far behind, so it's advancing better than we had hoped. Any of you fellas want to come by and help me pack for a couple days? Anybody? :D

will this be batch 2 or batch 3?
..I think I'm in batch 3

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
Good News!!!!!

Here's the latest email I got from Wes:

It's in the FedEx Ground system, on its way to you.

FYI- I posted the SA-5 kit on e-bay for the first time and it caused a stir, so I sent all of those who want to buy it right away (or at least pay for it right away) to your web site along with my assurance that your third block of advanced orders would be to Rebar on time.

Wes

Won't be long now, and the second block of orders won't be far behind, so it's advancing better than we had hoped. Any of you fellas want to come by and help me pack for a couple days? Anybody? :D

I was wondering if you could PM me with a delivery day please.

Originally posted by stymye
will this be batch 2 or batch 3?
..I think I'm in batch 3

I hope this is batch 1, as I ordered from it and have not received items yet. Still patiently waiting though!:D

Alright! Big update. Here's the tracking number for the package in case any of you want to see when it'll arrive:
045718763610833 shipped through Fed-ex

It says a delivery date of tomorrow, but I don't see how when they didn't pick it up from their shipping center in Maryland until yesterday at 7:50 pm.
This is batch number 1 and I'm still accepting volunteers to help me pack all these things up.:D My wife and kids are leaving for West Virginia Thursday to spend a couple or 3 weeks with her family, so we are busy preparing for that, and I'm hoping these things don't come in 'til Thursday or after. I'll post it here when they come in and hopefully I can get them all out in a couple of days.

Rebar, Thanks for the update, and honestly, I am waiting patiently. Changing jobs has kept me busy enough that I have not had time to build much this year, and I still have plenty to build, so these will add to my growing collection of unbuilts, until I have time to get to them. I just could not pass them up when offered!:)

so this is batch 1 of the second batch?..I guess it will still be a while than.

Big news! The first batch is here and I'll be working all weekend getting them shipped out. (Still taking volunteers for packing:) )

More Big News! The second batch is scheduled to ship Monday to me, so by next weekend, I should be shipping them out.

Well, I should be through shipping the first batch of kits today and the second batch is on it's way to me now. It's taken longer to get them out than anticipated because of the fact that my wife and kids are in West Virginia and I'm having to cook and wash clothes and dishes in addition to my website chores. I've been behind on my regular shipments because we spent last week preparing for their trip, so I've been doing double-duty trying to ship the Saturns and get caught up on my regular orders. So if you were on the first run and haven't gotten a shipment email yet, you should get it before the end of the day.

Originally posted by seo
What is the status of the third set?

It should ship in a couple weeks. When Wes gets back from Mojave, I'll try to pin him down on an expected date.

I finally finished the shipment of all the first run kits yesterday and the second run is on it's way to me now.

How do people know who's getting what? I mean, if there are 3 diff batchs, how does one know what batch is assigned to whom?:confused:

I always have the number of the particular run listed at the top of the page when you order. It's on number four now for ordering. Yours was on number 1 and was shipped yesterday.

Rebar, thanks for the updates. I relize how hard this must be, to keep us updated, while you are bussier than we can probably imagine. You do us a service by letting us know what is going on. I belive you relise we do not release our funds litely, and put a trust in you as the vendor of this product, and I am sure you would much rather spend your time fufulling orders than type responses here, But I for one appreciate your time. I would love to help you assemble the kits and ship but sorry to say Okalhoma is too far away to help much. Keep up the good work!

Happy Flying!
Mike Dickinson
[email protected]

Rebar (Doug),

Got my Saturn kits today (and the Quest Shuttle Inbtrepid)!! The kits arrived in perfect shape! Packaging was outstanding! This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered a kit. Based on the positive experience with this purchase, I would definately do it again! I may need to order another set to build and keep these! ;)

Thanks for posting the updates!

Same here, got mine today as well. Everything is in perfect order. The kit looks great and the package was awesome sahpe. Looking over the directions on the Sat V, it looks like the instruction wan the motor hanging out the back 3/4". Does anyone else concur with this. I was thinking more like 1/4" should be enough.

Thanks again Doug!

Mine arrived yesterday, everything in good shape, very well packed. Two thumbs up!

Got my Block 2 SA-5 and my Block II, to add to my ever-burgeoning pile awaiting construction...

a) Peter Alway's Saturn V kit;

b) Sandman's Saturn 1B ... and his MicroMaxx set;

c) Two (2) Estes Saturn V kits... it's gonna be a Saturnalia around here...

Oh my god, my brother said something about the Apogee Saturns... aieeee!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

c) Two (2) Estes Saturn V kits... it's gonna be a Saturnalia around here...

Do this instead of two Saturn V's

Build one as a Saturn V

Build the second one as a Saturn/Skylab (see the latest Sport Rocketry mag.)

Use the extra Apollo Capsule and BT54 tube (Service Module tube) and make a clone of the Little Joe II to fly on Mini engines.

https://www.dars.org/jimz/est0892.htm

I also received mine on Saturday. The kits look well thought out, I like the "pre-weighted" transitions to make sure the CG is where it needs to be. I also like the nice white paper tubes, and the Balsa parts. Thank you Dr. Zooch, and Rebar.

I'm having a blast building my Blk. 2 SA-6 to SA-10 (See my rolling review/progress report in the Kit Reviews forum). So happy with the darned thing that I just went back and ordered a Blk. 2 SA-5 and a Saturn V to make it a complete set. Highly recommended, folks!

Back