Dr. Zooch's "cash cow"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Zooch

Reaction score
I've gotten such a flood of requests I'll just post it here and get the TRF'ers off my back;)

I just have to figure out how to post pictures here... give me a few hours.

To post a picture, just look for the "attach file" field with the "browse" button next to it. Navigate to the image file with that and submit reply.

HA! I did it!

so here's more...

It's a card model that comes on sheets of 110# paper and has some poster board. You cut and fold them and you get a complete Mobile Launch System scaled to my Saturn V. The swing arems are actual replicas of each individual swing arm- and they all swing. The crawler has tread footpads that are not animated, but are actual photos of a single footpad from a real crawler (repeated 57 times per tread). Each crawler reactor has one side that is an animated tractor and the other side is a photo of a tractor- so the builder can decide which looks best. Likewise, the crawler cab's front window is a photo of an actual crawler's front cab window. Although you can't launch from this pad, I don't discourage it- because when you burn it up, you have to come and buy a new one from me. The launch platform has (although not seen in these photos) 6 standard attach mounts that lets you set it onto a pad if you want to make a display of such.

That's pretty cool if you are into displaying your Saturns.

Holy cash cow! I think I see my son's birthday present. Those are the best kind, you know. The one's you actually want, and will inevitably get to build, but can't display in your own room because wifey would say no. :)

That's pretty cool if you are into displaying your Saturns.

I'll be happy to sell you one you can launch from

With a few modifications and some extra equipment... like a super soaker

Here I was nice to ya' because I thought you were a Saturn V owner and not a squirming hatch-blower!

Okay, if good ol' American stuff don't get ya' try this...

My Russian Luna R-7!

Wes,

Very, very cool!

That's a great idea.

Now about that "squirming hatch-blower" remark...:mad: ;)

Oh lord no !!..I was just thinking to myself, the one thing I don't have is a Saturn collection. Over the last few days I've been thinking - unless I can get my hands on an Estes or Centuri Saturn V (which it looks like no sensible person on Ebay will put one up as a BuyitNow, or perhaps locate one here at TRF ), I may have to get the smaller kits that a certain Doctor of Zooch has available.

See, I put this whole thing on Sandman (in a very good way) 8).

His original Little Joe 2 kit and the infamous words" I'll do the kit, you build the tower" - led me to a scratchbuilt tower system for it, and now...*gulp* ...I must find a Estes Saturn V kit as well....and ... scratchbuild a tower complex.

So, I was searching online at Ebay just last night and see you have a few models available. Fair enough. ... But now, you tempt me with the thought of buying all of them and to make the deal even sweeter, you make a must have addition in the mobile tower.

Very nice !

Cheers,

Great, now I've got to buy a Saturn and the tower.
Way to go Dr. Zooch, as if I don't have enough to build already. ;)
So when's this thing going to be available? :D

Tim

It's going to be out in the next 3 months. I still have to write the instructions, and they have to be idiot proof for those who do not TFR. I want to have 200 to 400 kits ready to go before we release. I still have 7 swing arms to do and they are highly detailed and animated directly from the NASA drawings of each individual arm, much the same as the LUT itself and the Launch Platform and Crawler were animated from the NASA plans- so it takes a while to do each. Then I have hold-downs and tail masts to do and it should be ready. I actually wanted to do a crawler that really crawled... ya' know- R/C controlled, but it's so tiny that the gearing to keep it going slow will take an old fashiond watch maker to build and cost a ton to put into kit form.

Of course next I could do an LC-34 that you can actually launch from... hummmmm

For me the key is not just to make something fun and cool, but to make something fun and cool that everyone else can make too.

'Moooo!!'

Translation: I like it!!

How about a launch tower for the Luna 1???

PH

Oh great. It's bad enough that it's too cold to spray paint; now I have to see these things!
Wes, are the crawler tractors big enough to fit those tiny RC cars inside? Maybe you could take the bodies off 4 of them and hook them up to the treads?
Drew Tomko

Actually, the tractors are just about the right size for those little R/C cars. The problem is that the cars are geared for racing and "race" is not a word that goes with Crawler Transporter.

The problem is that the cars are geared for racing and "race" is not a word that goes with Crawler Transporter.

Depends, IF you did it right, you could have it coming out of the "Silo' race down the track out to the Pad, and launch it within a few seconds.

Sure beats the 5 mph top speed of the original transport. *weg*

8)

Originally posted by Silverleaf
The problem is that the cars are geared for racing and "race" is not a word that goes with Crawler Transporter.

Depends, IF you did it right, you could have it coming out of the "Silo' race down the track out to the Pad, and launch it within a few seconds.

Sure beats the 5 mph top speed of the original transport. *weg*

8)

I dunno where you guys are launching at, but most of the fields I've seen are grass, dirt, or sand. In any case, they all have such uneven surfaces that they would, scale-wise, represent 30-foot boulders in the path of the crawler, and the thing would tip over! About the only place you might be able to get away with it would be a dry lake bed, or maybe a parking lot somewhere...

WW

Actually that top speed is 2.1 mph and scaled down to my Saturn V... well... slugs would be passing it.

Originally posted by wwattles
I dunno where you guys are launching at, but most of the fields I've seen are grass, dirt, or sand. In any case, they all have such uneven surfaces that they would, scale-wise, represent 30-foot boulders in the path of the crawler, and the thing would tip over! About the only place you might be able to get away with it would be a dry lake bed, or maybe a parking lot somewhere...

WW

So then we need the good doctors crawlway kit, ramp kit, pad kit, MSS kit and while he is at it we can have an authentic rollout from the VAB kit :D

Yeah, I know I'm a trouble maker.

No - I don't own any Saturn hardware

Ooooooo... gooooood idea.... Of course I have my hands totally full with just the new kits for 2005. But still... a VAB with doors that open would be cool. Imagine one bay with an Apollo 12 Saturn V, one with a Skylab I Saturn V, one with a Saturn C-5 and one with my new 500F conversion... (did I mention that I have a 500F conversion kit or the C-5 kit coming out? As well as a Skylab conversion kit?... I don't recall.) :rolleyes:

You could have the whole set in one VAB, each with its own Mobile Launcher.

Hi Doc! I guess I need to move that Saturn V up on my list of rockets to build so it will be ready when this project shows up! ;)

Back