Dr. Zooch Vanguard Eagle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stagin'

Attachments

• 4pat1.jpg
    4pat1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 15
Cool!:cool: Those staging shots are pretty impressive!:y:

So, when is the kit being released to the 'wild'? ;)

You stinker. I had almost forgotten about the Eagle, and TOTALLY forgot it will be gap staged, but the writing was on the wall(literally). I should have picked up on it. Very cool.

You can expect the beta kit... no ETA as of now, however.

You can expect the beta kit... no ETA as of now, however.

Hey, I might have a plastic Estes fin can that might fit it! ;) j/k

Take your time. I'm in the midst of trying to finish up stuff that been sitting on the work bench for ages.

It likely will not be in beta this month- I'm working on getting parts and re-writing the instructions plus I have two trips down to KSC going on before the end of the month... my plate is full.

Although I'm not a fan of "Plastic" parts, the only economical way to make the Vanguard Eagle spacecraft was to have it molded. But at least we can say for sure that they are not molded in Communist China.

Yes it's true folks. Instead they were made right here in Los Angeles California. Where people know what capsules made of plastic are supposed to look like. ;)

The staging pictures are just the best.

Steve

Those staging pictures are...interesting. It does not appear that the camera was up against the body tube like most shots but filming at an angle a foot or so away from the BT. Also, the angle of the horizon looks like the rocket was almost horizontal when the staging occurred. Is this some sort of rigged shot?

:confused2:

-Dave

Those staging pictures are...interesting. It does not appear that the camera was up against the body tube like most shots but filming at an angle a foot or so away from the BT. Also, the angle of the horizon looks like the rocket was almost horizontal when the staging occurred. Is this some sort of rigged shot?

:confused2:

-Dave

You know, now that you mention it......................:confused:

It's an actual in-flight series of screen captures- no tricks of any sort and no computer re-touching at all. It was done with my own invention- the outrigger cam. It's been discussed a lot on this forum, but here's another image of the rig...

The reason why the attitude is almost level with the ground is because the outrigger cam really has high drag and needs a D engine to boost it. I shot this one with a C boosting it and so it was tilted WAY over at staging. I've recently converted one of my Vanguard Eagle first stages to boost on a D12-0 and will fly the outrigger cam on it once again.

So... it only looks "rigged"

Thanks for your suspicion, reminds me that we're actually on the internet ;) You may now go back to the grassy knoll images :confused2: now that you mention it...................:rolleyes:

;);););););););););););););)

4trf000.jpg

Thanks for your suspicion, reminds me that we're actually on the internet ;) You may now go back to the grassy knoll images :confused2: now that you mention it...................:rolleyes:

HEY!!!! :eek: I RESEMBLE that comment!!! :y::eyepop::D:D:D:dark:

:pop: OL JR :)

It's been discussed a lot on this forum, but here's another image of the rig...

I missed those discussions. I will have to look them up sometime. I didn't say this earlier so I will now...Those shots are truly awesome. I really like the shot of the lower stage getting blasted by the upper stage.

-Dave

Get October's Rockets Magazine- the feature on gap staging has in-flight photos from the ground that really show it off. You can actually see the venting in action just before seperation and then see the staging event at sep. I was amazed when I saw the proofs of the photos.

Get October's Rockets Magazine- the feature on gap staging has in-flight photos from the ground that really show it off. You can actually see the venting in action just before seperation and then see the staging event at sep. I was amazed when I saw the proofs of the photos.

Where do you get "Rockets" magazine?? Thnx! OL JR :)

It's an actual in-flight series of screen captures- no tricks of any sort and no computer re-touching at all. It was done with my own invention- the outrigger cam. It's been discussed a lot on this forum, but here's another image of the rig...

The reason why the attitude is almost level with the ground is because the outrigger cam really has high drag and needs a D engine to boost it. I shot this one with a C boosting it and so it was tilted WAY over at staging. I've recently converted one of my Vanguard Eagle first stages to boost on a D12-0 and will fly the outrigger cam on it once again.

So... it only looks "rigged"

;);););););););););););););)

I never thought for a moment that it was "rigged", I just couldn't figure out how the shots were taken. Very ingenious! As for your "grassy knoll" reference, come on - we all know that it was staged by NASA because they really didn't have the technology to create UFOs that abduct humans. :shock: I think I need more coffee............

More like thicker foil for your hat and a large glass of koolaid... no wait... that was for me:dark:

Anyhow, the Vanguard Eagle full stack will fly on Saturday with my new featherweight Parrot altimeter in the nosecone. Using that little device, which I just got set up. Having seen some of the crazy stuff I've done with boostervision cams, can anyone out there imagine the wild stuff I can think of for the Parrot to do? :duck: Many near-misses are in the future.

More like thicker foil for your hat and a large glass of koolaid... no wait... that was for me:dark:

Anyhow, the Vanguard Eagle full stack will fly on Saturday with my new featherweight Parrot altimeter in the nosecone. Using that little device, which I just got set up. Having seen some of the crazy stuff I've done with boostervision cams, can anyone out there imagine the wild stuff I can think of for the Parrot to do? :duck: Many near-misses are in the future.

Just make sure it's all on film... and posted here! :D:dark: OL JR :)

Anyhow, the Vanguard Eagle full stack will fly on Saturday with my new featherweight Parrot altimeter in the nosecone.

Looks as if the flight will be a scrub.

The SA report shows ceilings around 300 feet, winds 14G20 and mod. rain with temps around 42F at the surface. With that sort of weather, not only will the second stage likely be lost, but most of the flight would be in the clouds- Rocksim says staging will take place at 375 feet- which would be in the clouds. On top of that, the second stage could actually enter into icing conditions :eek:

Although I'm all for pushing the envelope, as a former airline captain flying out of MSP, I 've been in lots of autumn icing- no need to send a newly constructed rocket there just to refresh my memory :rolleyes:.

Looks as if the actual first flight of the production kit version of the Dr. Zooch Vanguard Eagle will belong to the beta builder... you know who you are :cool:

Well lets hope that ceiling moves off and clear skies prevail for you.

It's 90 here and gusting from the N at 25 knots. Although it's said that this will be replaced by low pressure over the weekend. 2 days ago it was raining and cold.

Shame to hear I was looking forward to the flight and video. Still it's only Friday. You never know.

BTW my Alumilite came in today. Capsules forth coming. ;)

Steve

Just keep in mind that you'll get the second beta kit (I expect you'll add some "extra" details ;)

Well lets hope that ceiling moves off and clear skies prevail for you.

It's 90 here and gusting from the N at 25 knots. Although it's said that this will be replaced by low pressure over the weekend. 2 days ago it was raining and cold.

Shame to hear I was looking forward to the flight and video. Still it's only Friday. You never know.

BTW my Alumilite came in today. Capsules forth coming. ;)

Steve

The weather today is just as forcast in the SA for 1800Z. The Vanguard Eagle and the Featherweight altimeter will not fly today. Instead they'll stay safe and dry here in my office while I had down to KSC for the Ares I-X rollout. Let's keep our fingers crossed for no additional delays.

The SA report shows ceilings around 300 feet, winds 14G20 and mod. rain with temps around 42F at the surface. With that sort of weather, not only will the second stage likely be lost, but most of the flight would be in the clouds- Rocksim says staging will take place at 375 feet- which would be in the clouds. On top of that, the second stage could actually enter into icing conditions :eek:

Although I'm all for pushing the envelope, as a former airline captain flying out of MSP, I 've been in lots of autumn icing- no need to send a newly constructed rocket there just to refresh my memory :rolleyes:.

Looks as if the actual first flight of the production kit version of the Dr. Zooch Vanguard Eagle will belong to the beta builder... you know who you are :cool:

I can handle that assignment. If you are anxious and want to bring yours here to test, I'm fine with that too!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the scrub. What's up with the weather here in the Mid-Atlantic area anyway? Feels more like mid-February than mid-October. Who can I complain to about this??? :bangpan:

Come on... you mean this kit doesn't even have de-icing capabilities?? :rolleyes: I'm SO disappointed! :D:dark:

Later! OL JR :)

Just keep in mind that you'll get the second beta kit (I expect you'll add some "extra" details ;)

More than likely oh great Doctor.

Still I hope things improve there somehow some way.

Thanks!

Steve

Sorry to hear about the scrub. What's up with the weather here in the Mid-Atlantic area anyway? Feels more like mid-February than mid-October. Who can I complain to about this??? :bangpan:

Gee... all of North America is heading toward the coldest autumn and winter in decades... no wonder they changed the term Global Warming to Climate Change. Yep- it sure has changed. Where's Al Gore- I need to pay for my carbon footprint. :confused:

Gee... all of North America is heading toward the coldest autumn and winter in decades... no wonder they changed the term Global Warming to Climate Change. Yep- it sure has changed. Where's Al Gore- I need to pay for my carbon footprint. :confused:

My carbon footprint can have a forceful intersection with his posterior regions... :D OL JR :)

I think it's time to change my sig. "Just give me something I can blow up."

From one of my favorite movies. Dark Star.

Steve

Back