Dr Zooch Soyuz build (Completed!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Odo.... great job...

Now you can apply your newly honed skills to a new build... When you do, think it through beforehand-- make sure you understand the instructions THOROUGHLY and ask questions about anything you're unsure of... have a plan of action, and if there's anything you're wondering about or need hints or help with, be sure to ASK... It's MUCH easier to do what it takes to get the build the way you want it BEFORE its built, not afterwards...

Good luck and KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

Here is my Zooch Soyuz.
It was the first Dr Zooch kit I built and also the first model rocket I built. There are a lot of things I wish I could go back and change...

DSCF0414.jpgDSCF0415.jpgDSCF0416.jpg

Here is my Zooch Soyuz.
It was the first Dr Zooch kit I built and also the first model rocket I built. There are a lot of things I wish I could go back and change...

View attachment 150748View attachment 150749View attachment 150750

Wow, I think I speak for about 97% of everybody in saying that's a heck of a lot better-looking than the first rocket I built (some 45 years ago). :surprised:

The Zooch Soyuz is not tremendously tough (thanks to the Doctor's ace instructions) but it is not a raw-rookie bird either. It's definitely impressive for a first build.

Good work and don't worry, you will put your new skillz to work on your next rocket and make THAT one better. :headbang:

Last edited:
Thanks. And I have to agree the witches were definitely the hardest part. That and trying to glue all the strap-ons to the central booster tube strait.
Owen....you did a great job on the Soyuz!! For me, the hard part of the build was those darn witches hats!

ya know I didn't even notice the sheep until you pointed them out...and they do seem to be looking at the Soyuz with some concern!

The sheep in the background are hilarious. They have this looke like "Uh-oh. That's not a shearing razor. I think this will turn out bad for us".

Lol. the sheep always crowd around me when I go out there. They think I have food...
ya know I didn't even notice the sheep until you pointed them out...and they do seem to be looking at the Soyuz with some concern!

The sheep and I agree ,that`s a bang up job on the Soyuz ,and I know it`s not an easy task to build hats and such at such a small scale.

Bravo !!

Paul T

I just realized that I never actually posted pics of the finished build or updated this thread to say it was finished, so what few of you are actually reading this, here ya gooo:
So after filling the nosecone again and doing minor paint adjustments, then reapplying the decals, Ive finally finished it :)

View attachment 144894

Thanks all for help! Especially Luke and NJrick :)
After I figure out my vagabonds paint mystery Ill be moving on to an attempt to make a really detailed Vostok. Hopefully that will end well.

I think your Soyuz turned out very nice....great job!

I was wondering how this build was doing ,and glad to see it finished.

Cheers

Paul T

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-11-07-16h02m13s130.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-11-07-16h02m13s130.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 74
  • vlcsnap-2013-11-07-16h02m18s177.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-11-07-16h02m18s177.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 71
  • vlcsnap-2013-11-07-16h02m31s59.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-11-07-16h02m31s59.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Well...this ain't my thread. This thread is property of Odo.
Absolutely beautiful job! :clap:

I own this kit. Now, I'm going to build it soon, and use this thread as both the primary guide and inspiration.

So thanks (for this thread)!

Now, don't lose that gem!

Well...this ain't my thread. This thread is property of Odo.

That's okay... like the shuttle thread, everyone is welcome to post about their work...

We used to have a Zooch shuttle "master thread" going where dozens of people had contributed and it was up into the 20-something page count or thereabouts... then the forum crashed for a while and it was stuck over in the archives. Wes at Dr. Zooch asked me to do a shuttle build and revive the old shuttle "master thread" and it's been pretty successful... there's a treasure trove of info over there and in the old one in the archives as well...

Personally I'd love to see a "master thread" that everybody contributes to for every Dr. Zooch kit... that's why I do an extensive build thread with lots of pics and step-by-step instructions for every Dr. Zooch kit I beta-build for him... (and some I don't for that matter). The ones I haven't built yet have some excellent thread starters by folks like NJRick and Mushtang, among others...

Lots of good builders and good information here...

Enjoy! Later! OL JR :)

Speaking of beta builds, do you have any new information regarding the new kit that Wes has someone beta building?
That's okay... like the shuttle thread, everyone is welcome to post about their work...

We used to have a Zooch shuttle "master thread" going where dozens of people had contributed and it was up into the 20-something page count or thereabouts... then the forum crashed for a while and it was stuck over in the archives. Wes at Dr. Zooch asked me to do a shuttle build and revive the old shuttle "master thread" and it's been pretty successful... there's a treasure trove of info over there and in the old one in the archives as well...

Personally I'd love to see a "master thread" that everybody contributes to for every Dr. Zooch kit... that's why I do an extensive build thread with lots of pics and step-by-step instructions for every Dr. Zooch kit I beta-build for him... (and some I don't for that matter). The ones I haven't built yet have some excellent thread starters by folks like NJRick and Mushtang, among others...

Lots of good builders and good information here...

Enjoy! Later! OL JR :)

The pictures may look beautiful, but the rocket didn't look so hot after it landed on the roof of my house. The LES and two fins were cracked off. Since it happened I've repaired the fins and LES and repainted the lower half of the of the booster. All I need to do now is repaint the spacecraft section.

DSCF0427.jpg

Beautiful pictures!!!!

ouch!! looks like you did a good job with the repairs though!

The pictures may look beautiful, but the rocket didn't look so hot after it landed on the roof of my house. The LES and two fins were cracked off. Since it happened I've repaired the fins and LES and repainted the lower half of the of the booster. All I need to do now is repaint the spacecraft section.

View attachment 153004

Speaking of beta builds, do you have any new information regarding the new kit that Wes has someone beta building?

No... no I do not...

None that I can divulge at this time, anyway...

It's at Area 102... which is of course TWICE as secret as Area 51... I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya... LOL:)

Seriously, I'll have a build thread of it when Wes gives me the okay... Until then he's asked that I keep information about it to myself... Of course I will respect that.

I can say, though, to keep guessing...

Later! OL JR :)

Beta build info from Dr. Zooch is Top Secret clearance only!!.....we just have to wait until the information is released.

Quite true...

Just yesterday I had a suspected Dorillian ant-terrorist sting me on my little toe near the nail while I was sitting on the stool in the bathroom... I guess he was trying to make me talk-- it didn't work.

Betty had seen the hostile attack team had invaded our bathroom and were congregating near the shower door... apparently they had penetrated our defenses attempting to get water, but we ALL know what they were REALLY after-- top secret information about the continuing beta build! Why else would they invade the next morning after my return from harvesting crops in Indiana?? I don't believe in coincidences like that...

Anyway, she handily dispatched them by deploying chemical warfare agents against them-- the can of Raid Ant-n-Roach from the cupboard... but apparently one of the little devils managed to survive and escape... and subsequently try to extract the information from me by injecting me with formic acid in a tender spot... or so he thought... once he had exposed himself, he was quickly eliminated by squashing him like the bug he was...

If the Dorillians are reading this, I have a message for them... "I'll never talk"... (as I scratch my eyelid with my middle finger).

LOL:)

HA!! I am confident that Dr. Zooch would approve of the use of chemical weapons in this circumstance! I have no doubt they were after the plans of the latest offering from Dr. Zooch!

can't wait to see it Luke!! I always love reading your build threads....get to watch one of the Masters in action!

Quite true...

Just yesterday I had a suspected Dorillian ant-terrorist sting me on my little toe near the nail while I was sitting on the stool in the bathroom... I guess he was trying to make me talk-- it didn't work.

Betty had seen the hostile attack team had invaded our bathroom and were congregating near the shower door... apparently they had penetrated our defenses attempting to get water, but we ALL know what they were REALLY after-- top secret information about the continuing beta build! Why else would they invade the next morning after my return from harvesting crops in Indiana?? I don't believe in coincidences like that...

Anyway, she handily dispatched them by deploying chemical warfare agents against them-- the can of Raid Ant-n-Roach from the cupboard... but apparently one of the little devils managed to survive and escape... and subsequently try to extract the information from me by injecting me with formic acid in a tender spot... or so he thought... once he had exposed himself, he was quickly eliminated by squashing him like the bug he was...

If the Dorillians are reading this, I have a message for them... "I'll never talk"... (as I scratch my eyelid with my middle finger).

So Luke is the beta builder?
No... no I do not...

None that I can divulge at this time, anyway...

It's at Area 102... which is of course TWICE as secret as Area 51... I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya... LOL:)

Seriously, I'll have a build thread of it when Wes gives me the okay... Until then he's asked that I keep information about it to myself... Of course I will respect that.

I can say, though, to keep guessing...

Luke...are you allowed to tell us when Wes will give you the "OK" to tell us?
Quite true...

I was working on a design called the Obamacare. You light the engine and it drives itself straight into the ground and then I make you pay three times as much to replace it.

I was working on a design called the Obamacare. You light the engine and it drives itself straight into the ground and then I make you pay three times as much to replace it.

Hehehe... that's a good one! Too close to the truth...

@ Owen: Not sure when Wes will clear me to do the build thread... I've been taking some pics along the way in anticipation of it. I just got back to Texas night before last from harvesting corn and beans and driving truck for my BIL in Indiana since the beginning of October... getting used to being with Keira and Betty again... Plus, tonight I'm in Corpus Christi-- my daughter Keira has Bible Bowl tomorrow, so the beta build has been on a hold since the beginning of October basically. I promise that I'll get it done before NASA finishes Orion and/or SLS... LOL:) Seriously, I should have it done in a few days, communicate the results to Wes, and when he's ready for the rollout and gives me the okay, I'll do a build thread right here and on YORF...

Til then, I can tell you it's a pretty cool kit, but then it's from Dr. Zooch Rockets, so that's what folks have come to expect...

Also, make sure your website remains down, so we can't reorder.

Well I'm really looking forward to it...I think everyone is. The Doctor's kits are always awesome and so are your threads.
Hehehe... that's a good one! Too close to the truth...

@ Owen: Not sure when Wes will clear me to do the build thread... I've been taking some pics along the way in anticipation of it. I just got back to Texas night before last from harvesting corn and beans and driving truck for my BIL in Indiana since the beginning of October... getting used to being with Keira and Betty again... Plus, tonight I'm in Corpus Christi-- my daughter Keira has Bible Bowl tomorrow, so the beta build has been on a hold since the beginning of October basically. I promise that I'll get it done before NASA finishes Orion and/or SLS... LOL:) Seriously, I should have it done in a few days, communicate the results to Wes, and when he's ready for the rollout and gives me the okay, I'll do a build thread right here and on YORF...

Til then, I can tell you it's a pretty cool kit, but then it's from Dr. Zooch Rockets, so that's what folks have come to expect...

HA!! as the ignition switch is pushed, my insurance from the the NAR will be automatically cancelled...then the rocket will crash into the ground....

Back