Dr. Zooch Rockets- the whole story

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Zooch

Reaction score
Folks, I've seen some questions about Dr. Zooch Rockets and my stopping production. Here's the facts.

For the past few years I've been suffering from problems with my lower back and, most applicable, my neck. I have vertebra out of line and they can cause some discomfort... ok... hurt like hell. This condition was aggravated in a big way by the simple repetitive motion of putting the parts for my rocket kits into the boxes. Sounds silly I know, but the surgeon says it shows up in people who do certain things. Dental hygienists and postal workers who sort mail, were the two examples he gave me. The surgeon's management of the pain involved an injection in the are that was involved. It worked... until I went back to putting kits together again and then it would come back. Over three years I had seven injections. Finally my surgeon gave me two choices... have the vert.s fused by way of surgery or quit the repetitive motion. You know my choice.

At first I was going to shut the whole company down and just call it a day. But, shortly after I put that word out, eRockets contacted me and offered to take over the production of select kits. Their choices will depend on sales, but we are working together and the most popular Zooch kit, the Saturn V, will soon return. Additionally, my tax accountant told me not to fully close down the company, so Dr. Zooch Rockets LLC still exists.

Of course eRockets mills all of their own balsa parts- so I was left holding A LOT of components- which I'm now selling off by way of e-bay. Check it out, but hurry- they are going fast! They're listed in Hobbies & Toys as "Dr. Zooch model rockets parts lot"

I'll still be hanging around in rocketry and will even be appearing at NARCON 2019 where I'll be speaking. Hope to see some of you there or at the MDRA launches!

Wes

Well, I have your Shuttle kit to thank for re-incarnating this BAR. When my kids went through scouting a few years ago, I enjoyed helping the kids build and fly their Wizards & Vikings, like I had done when I was their age. But, when I found your Shuttle kit, I decided to buy a rocket for myself again. That was in my one-kit build pile for a while before I finally dug into it and built it. That one is always a crowd pleaser at the launches. I have built several of your kits and learned a lot of techniques that I have incorporated into my own scratch/clone/kit-bash builds. Glad to hear that the product line will continue to be available so I can complete my collection one of these days. All the best.

Thanks for the Update Wes.
When something that was supposed to be fun become determental to your health it must go.
Thanks for all the great designs and wonderful news that some will continue.
My only regret is not buying more when you were up and running full tilt.
Your kits got me back into rockerty after a 30+ year absence courtesey of the Marine Corps and family commitments. just seeing the kits that you offered that nobone esle did and at a price that I didnt have to take out a second mortgage had me hooked.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Wes, my story is similar to Glenn's. I had bought a ready to fly model rocket for my son when he was 10 or 11 years old. It sat in the garage for a few years and then on a day where he was bored we took the kit out and flew in the hot July sun. H enjoyed it but after a few trips out he was on to other things. I on the other hand, had become hooked again. I bought your Saturn 1b as my BAR rocket. If it wasn't for the good fortune of this site and more specifically Chris Michaelson and his wonderful blog I would never have figured out how to roll the tanks. I will never forget when your 1b came in the mail and I opened it up to see a wonderful collection of tubes, balsa, chutes and cord and paper. I asked my son to come over and look and he looked in the box and asked where the rocket was? I told him I was going to build it. He asked what if it crashes and I told him I would just buy another and build it...and he exclaimed "Dad, you are nuts!"

I have built most of your kits and have enjoyed all of them. I have managed to purchase some on the web as well as obtain some through friends so I have a nice stash set away that will keep my occupied for years. I love the Zooch 1b the most followed closely by the Lifting Body.

Wishing you much good health and I am hoping to come down and see MDRA one day and maybe get you to autograph a Zooch Saturn 1b!

I look forward to seeing you at NARAM as well and maybe you can autographg ne for me as well

Thanks for the good stories guys. The up side of having your own rocket company is, #1 People actually are made happy by your product. I was in aviation as a pilot for 19 years... hardly ever made people happy. #2 You always have tons of parts and you can build anything you can dream up except... you NEVER have the time! Every moment that you'd usually use for puttering around with rockets must go to filling orders and back orders, or ordering parts and so on. Plus, the profit margin is so thin you can look right through it.

Now, I'll finally have some time to have fun with model rockets again.

That is good news Wes, although your decision to cease production was a wise one in order to preserve your health, it's no wonder someone would offer to produce your designs due to their reputation of being great kits and excellent flyers.

Thanks for the update Wes, and good call. I've unfortunately had a lot of experience with RSI too. Glad you were able to work with Randy to keep your designs available!

Back