Dr. Zooch Discoverer Thor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Measuring from the nose- the CG with a C6-7 engine aboard should be about 9.66 in. and the CP should be at 11.488 in. In the no-engine aboard (but with wadding, chute and shock cord aboard) CG should be at about 7.8794. Note that these figures can vari slightly due to construction methods and painting etc.

You may expect that nice silver paint to cloud up a bit during the boost. Backflow.

Measuring from the nose- the CG with a C6-7 engine aboard should be about 9.66 in. and the CP should be at 11.488 in. In the no-engine aboard (but with wadding, chute and shock cord aboard) CG should be at about 7.8794. Note that these figures can vari slightly due to construction methods and painting etc.

You may expect that nice silver paint to cloud up a bit during the boost. Backflow.

Thanks Doc... that helps!

I've read that the chrome Krylon doesn't stay that way, so I won't be TOO disappointed! It looks pretty decent.

I was wondering if you or anyone else had the RockSim file for the Discoverer Thor, as I'd like to play with it. I guess I could just program it in myself and play with it (being lazy:) but hoped somebody would have it already.

Looking forward to her first flight. Thanks for such a great kit, and I'm gonna be ordering more stuff from you SOON! OL JR :)

I carefully measured and weighed out my Discoverer Thor and made a Rocksim file of it, and submitted it to EMRR to be added to the DT review over there on the next update. SO if anybody's interested they can get the file from EMRR now.

The CG measured out right where the Doc said it would, and the CP looked good both in the Rocksim method and the more conservative Barrowman method. She may be a bit on the heavy side as I use a little more glue than i probably should, and like a nice finish so usually double primer, paper wrapped fins, etc. Everything is as close as I could possibly get it when I did the Rocksim file, and I did it off the specific weights and measures off my existing flight ready kit.

Enjoy! OL JR :)

The Dr. Zooch Discoverer Thor kit is officially OOP as of today.

The Dr. Zooch Discoverer Thor kit is officially OOP as of today.

Hey, Doc, are you reworking it for flame fins or is it a museum peice now (much like the real thing?)

Also, any word on the Atlas, SDW Lifting Body, or other projects coming along or soon to be released new kits?? Thanks! OL JR :)

PS. The Discoverer Thor just put in another TWO terrific flights at our club launch this month, one on a B6-4 and another on a C6-5. The trash bag chute is amazing-- I had a factory chute strip on a Canadian Arrow and do a poor imitation of a streamer, but thanks to a tail first glide and then rapid horizontal spin recovery no damage, (on an E9-4; she needs at least an E9-6) what's amazing is that little trash bag chute just keeps going and going... :) and not a spot on it and I use barf for wadding! (even in that short lower body tube!

Great job and she's a terrific little kit! OL JR :)

Yep - I'm working on those new kits at this time.

Thanks for the good words- the Thor will return with FlameFins, but it won't be soon. Other projects top the list.

Knowing that Thor kit- it is MORE than likely that any good flights were due to your superior building rather than the kit itself.

May I say that your discoverer thor looked fantastic :)
Cheers
fred

May I say that your discoverer thor looked fantastic :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks Fred... I appreciate it. And the Dr.'s kind words as well.... Anybody that didn't get one of these really missed out. Reminds me of the nice kits from 20 years ago, and frankly so did the price :D

Mine has a few little dings on the transition, which kinda surprises me considering I CA hardened it and all, but they are VERY minor. I'm sure mine is way on the heavy side, since I wanted to do an A-1 finish job on it (just to see if I could, but I'm starting to like doing that ;) She's a sweet flyer and I'll probably launch her a few more times before I move her to the display shelf:) Worst has been a little smudging on the front, but a baby wipe takes that off real nice...

Hope she comes back stronger than ever...:) OL JR :)

Back