Dr. Zooch Decals alert

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Zooch

Reaction score
In the words of one of my fellow rocket company persons... "Decals are the bane of my existence."

So it was that last week I was at the end of my package of Bel Decal paper when I ran out of decals for the Saturn V and Mercury Redstone- so I printed up some more. As usual I tested them. This time by applying some to a Saturn V that one of my customers had crashed and I was restoring. They seemed to tend to curl a lot more than normal- but finally settled into place and looked quite normal. The next day, I looked and they seemed okay- so I went about making up a batch of Mercury Redstone and Saturn V kits that included this batch of decals. Here it is a week later and... those Decals began falling off the test model! :eek:

Some of the kits with these decals have already been shipped, the rest will have an extra sheet slipped into the kit using new paper. If, one of you gets a kit and your decals fall off- just contact me and I'll send a free replacement.

I'm not sure what went wrong here- I'm not sure if the paper has a shelf life or what, but I found that a smear of white glue can place them back on and a heavy spray of Krystal Clear acrylic makes them secure.

Ya know... having your decals fall off can be a real embarrassment, especially when it happens at the field, during the boost, on a date or in front of your children- and although it is rare, we at Dr. Zooch Rockets want to help you. Those of you who suffer from DDD (Drop-off Decal Disorder) no longer have to cower in the shadows at monthly rocket launches. You can now sign up for our DDD seminar. For a one time fee of just $6,250 we'll let you take our course, "Dropoff Decals and You" on-line. There we'll teach you about DDD and how to deal with the shame that having your rocket leave the rod and also leave its decals behind can cause. You'll meet other rocketeers with DDD and recovering DDD people who will help you come out from the shadows of rocketry. We'll walk you through our 274 step program of therapy and recovery. You'll finally feel free to stand at a rocket launch and say to the other rocketeers "Yeah, my decals all fell off, SO WHAT! Go scorch yer'self!" Don't wait, sign up now! (all Dr. Zooch courses require a perscription and or a note from a parent or NASA senior manager- signed in ink. All courses are non-refundable and may be habit forming. Results may vary and some people may have none at all.)

In the words of one of my fellow rocket company persons... "Decals are the bane of my existence."

So it was that last week I was at the end of my package of Bel Decal paper when I ran out of decals for the Saturn V and Mercury Redstone- so I printed up some more. As usual I tested them. This time by applying some to a Saturn V that one of my customers had crashed and I was restoring. They seemed to tend to curl a lot more than normal- but finally settled into place and looked quite normal. The next day, I looked and they seemed okay- so I went about making up a batch of Mercury Redstone and Saturn V kits that included this batch of decals. Here it is a week later and... those Decals began falling off the test model! :eek:

Some of the kits with these decals have already been shipped, the rest will have an extra sheet slipped into the kit using new paper. If, one of you gets a kit and your decals fall off- just contact me and I'll send a free replacement.

I'm not sure what went wrong here- I'm not sure if the paper has a shelf life or what, but I found that a smear of white glue can place them back on and a heavy spray of Krystal Clear acrylic makes them secure.

Ya know... having your decals fall off can be a real embarrassment, especially when it happens at the field, during the boost, on a date or in front of your children- and although it is rare, we at Dr. Zooch Rockets want to help you. Those of you who suffer from DDD (Drop-off Decal Disorder) no longer have to cower in the shadows at monthly rocket launches. You can now sign up for our DDD seminar. For a one time fee of just $6,250 we'll let you take our course, "Dropoff Decals and You" on-line. There we'll teach you about DDD and how to deal with the shame that having your rocket leave the rod and also leave its decals behind can cause. You'll meet other rocketeers with DDD and recovering DDD people who will help you come out from the shadows of rocketry. We'll walk you through our 274 step program of therapy and recovery. You'll finally feel free to stand at a rocket launch and say to the other rocketeers "Yeah, my decals all fell off, SO WHAT! Go scorch yer'self!" Don't wait, sign up now! (all Dr. Zooch courses require a perscription and or a note from a parent or NASA senior manager- signed in ink. All courses are non-refundable and may be habit forming. Results may vary and some people may have none at all.)

WHAT A BARGAIN!!! How about a scholarship?? My full ride to mechanic's school when I graduated was for $6,750, and I'll even gladly take a photo with you suitable for free advertising wearing my official FFA uniform (may be a bit tight-- no promises:) )

Glad you put in the disclaimer... I'm game so long as the side effects don't involve my kneecaps falling off, explosive diarrhea, or thoughts of suicide... if any of these occur of course I'd have to contact my doctor at once and stop taking the program... Only said doctor or NASA senior manager can tell if the DDD program is right for you!

Be sure to ask your doctor!!! Phones are standing by! Anyone who calls in the next 20 minutes gets a free "slap-chop" personally autographed by the Sham-WOW guy! If your last name begins with A-M, call right now. If it begins with N-Z, please call tomorrow.

LOL:) OL JR :)

PS... that's what you get for testing your own product!!!! :y::bangpan::dark:

I thought one of the major pharmaceuticals had a prescription drug for that one - could have sworn I saw it on late night TV (Maybe promoted by "Smilin' Ed" ;))

In Canada and the UK, you can get the treatment for free. :D

MarkII

Wes, I got a batch recently that did not have enough glue on it at all... It would "silver" on a glass smooth surface and they would chip off very easily. Sounds like something similar happened to you.:rolleyes:

Wes, I got a batch recently that did not have enough glue on it at all... It would "silver" on a glass smooth surface and they would chip off very easily. Sounds like something similar happened to you.:rolleyes:

Do you mean a batch of Bel paper or a batch of my decals?

from my past experience the white paper is great , the clear batch I had was awefull.
I believe all decal papers degrade over time

I'm thinkin' the same thing. This was a pack of 100... my latest order was only 50. I honestly believe there is a shelf life issue. Additionally, these were sent in a plastic zip-lock bag that had 3 notebook style holes in it- so it never sealed. Lastly, it is REALLY dry in our house this winter- on the order of 27% to 36% humidity- that could have been a factor too.

My last couple of orders of clear paper have suffered too. I didn't waste anytime trying a fresh batch of paper and experienced the same results. I just think Bel had a bad run of paper. I tried complaining to one of the Bel's vendors and asked to send the unused(only used one sheet from the pack) portion back to them for a refund and was flat out ignored after several emails and phone calls.:mad:

Last edited:
My e-mail from last week has yet to be responded to as well.

I just made a new set with new paper and will tests shortly- will advise on results here.

Back