Dr. Rocket's Variations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
As a general rule, finding all the details for these motors can prove challenging. I've noticed a few variation between AT, DR and RT cases. For instance, DR had 54/38 adapter closures. Adapt a 38mm case to fit a 54mm MMT.

Did DR ever produce taped and threaded closures? How about the EB closure? We're there any other specialty items like the 54/38 adapter closures? Thanks guys.

More like a wide flange 38, not the small rear closure for the soda can motors. I have only seen one picture of one, and can locate it at this time.

Rocketman or Rocketwoman had rear closure that fit AT and Dr Rockets hardware. It was a flange sort of thing and may have also been an adapter.

Tony

rocketman flange.png

The Rocketman ones were just a built-in retainer, no adapter for different diameter mounts.

I have a DR 29mm set which has a plugged,tapped front closure, which I've never seen elsewhere. I don't believe that it was modified by a previous owner, since the internal threads for the eyebolt are anodized red along with the rest of the closure. Nice oddball to have.

-Ken

98mmO.jpg

Tony

I have a DR 29mm set which has a plugged,tapped front closure, which I've never seen elsewhere. I don't believe that it was modified by a previous owner, since the internal threads for the eyebolt are anodized red along with the rest of the closure. Nice oddball to have.

-Ken

This is something I'd be very interested in. Charlie over at AT said this was in consideration. This could be a game changer in 29mm min and near min diameter rockets. I'd like to find a DR 38 and 54 tapped forward closure. So far no luck. Can't even find proof that they ever existed either, yet.

I have one with a small nut & bolt threaded through the powder touch hole, just pick a short enough delay+spacer and you've got a nice threaded rod sticking up.

I have one with a small nut & bolt threaded through the powder touch hole, just pick a short enough delay+spacer and you've got a nice threaded rod sticking up.

Wouldn't that qualify as altering it? That would make it TRA ex wouldn't it?

I should think that very much would depend on the RSO. Leaving the powder out is no problem, putting a bolt in that place wouldn't cause issues most places, I'd think.

I suppose I could use an expanding rubber drum instead and stay completely out of the touch hole. Or put a clamp below the knurled outer portion.

I personally have never seen a Dr Rockets threaded forward closure but I do have one that's a sealed closure for dual deploy...no motor deploy possible.

Maybe Henry Ball can weigh in on this. He's got an athletic bag full of Dr Rockets special edition motor hardware.

I personally have never seen a Dr Rockets threaded forward closure but I do have one that's a sealed closure for dual deploy...no motor deploy possible.

Maybe Henry Ball can weigh in on this. He's got an athletic bag full of Dr Rockets special edition motor hardware.

My very first Dr. Rockets purchase was in 2000, for a 54/852 case with aft closure and plugged and tapped forward closure to replace one I lost on my first L2 cert attempt. They weren't rare.

Steve Shannon

My very first Dr. Rockets purchase was in 2000, for a 54/852 case with aft closure and plugged and tapped forward closure to replace one I lost on my first L2 cert attempt. They weren't rare.

Steve Shannon

Yes, but the closure we're discussing was for a 29mm. I've never seen one at all. Anywhere. Any brand.

As a general rule, finding all the details for these motors can prove challenging. I've noticed a few variation between AT, DR and RT cases. For instance, DR had 54/38 adapter closures. Adapt a 38mm case to fit a 54mm MMT.

Did DR ever produce taped and threaded closures? How about the EB closure? We're there any other specialty items like the 54/38 adapter closures? Thanks guys.

Actually, except for post #16 there was no indication that you were only asking about 29mm cases. Here's your first post; it's obviously not limited to 29mm.

Steve Shannon

Actually, except for post #16 there was no indication that you were only asking about 29mm cases. Here's your first post; it's obviously not limited to 29mm.

Steve Shannon

No, it wasn't limited to 29mm. But the taped forward closure being discussed at that moment was 29mm. Look at post #9.

This is something I'd be very interested in. Charlie over at AT said this was in consideration. This could be a game changer in 29mm min and near min diameter rockets. I'd like to find a DR 38 and 54 tapped forward closure. So far no luck. Can't even find proof that they ever existed either, yet.

You specifically said in post 16:
"I'd like to find a DR 38 and 54 tapped forward closure. So far no luck. Can't even find proof that they ever existed either, yet."

I simply offered my recollection that the Dr. Rockets tapped forward closures existed in answer to the thread. I'm not sure what your objection is to that.

Steve Shannon

Back