Downsize carded Hornet plans wanted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado John

Reaction score
Anyone here have the carded Hornet plans. I made this one before and it was an outstanding flyer. I went to the site to download it again and it is closed. Now it is only available to members of the site. Seems a shame that all of those nice cardstock rockets can are now just for a select few. The carded Yellowjacket was another nice one.

I could not find those either. I just made a quick and dirty redraw for a 13mm min dia version here. Try this out and feel free to post pictures of your build if you want. If there are any problems with this template let me know, I haven't built this one yet. I don't have glue tabs for the nose cone transitions in the template, you can kind of trace those part edges and cut your own, or just use a plastic cone BT-5 size.

update: I added the thin black band on the body below the fins, not sure if there was a decal for that, it shows up in the old Centuri catalog pictures.

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri81/81cen30.html

Attachments

• Hornet13.pdf
    596.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Here is my new card stock Hornet. A great big thank you goes out to Glen P. for his great plans and all of his help. This is really nice and everyone should make one. Show me your Hornet builds!

Attachments

• IMG_4619.JPG
    IMG_4619.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 34
Here is my new card stock Hornet. A great big thank you goes out to Glen P. for his great plans and all of his help. This is really nice and everyone should make one. Show me your Hornet builds!

Nice job, these cardstock models can be quite addictive. I just found an X-15 paper display model that might make a good conversion to flying rocket model.

Just a handful, check the older threads here in the Cardstock Rocketry forum. I do regular kit builds too, but so many other folks do a fine job posting those build threads here, I don’t have much to add in that department.

If you like the 13mm powered rockets, here are a few to consider to add to your collection: the Estes Mini Tri Pak

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/mini-tri-pak-0866.144893/
my templates don’t have instructions, I assume familiarity with the Project Paper thread methods, I actually copy those nose cones.

Glen P, Here is my kit bash of a Star Trooper that I turned into the Hornet from your plans. Everything worked out perfect and it turned out very nice.

Attachments

• IMG_4623.JPG
    IMG_4623.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 17
Very cool, glad that worked out for you. The cardstock models look pretty decent after you give them a clear coat, I like the satin/semi-gloss or glossy clear. Since that has a shorter nose cone and looks like the paper wrap is a little short, you could paint that top portion of the body tube black to match the nose cone, maybe? Also, you can certainly make these anyway you like, but I think the original kit catalog picture has the one black fin along the black decal line that goes through the main -HORNET logo. But, hey I don't always stick to the plan either, I added the inverse white logo decal on the one black fin, the original just had one of those smaller logos in black for a yellow fin or on the back of the body on the lug side.

Attachments

• GreenHornet13.pdf
    653.9 KB · Views: 39
And I'd better quit here lest I wear out my welcome.
Thanks for posting all of this!!!!!! This is great stuff!!!!! What other ones do you have? Do you have The Yellowjacket or the Mini Bertha??
Not what we were looking for but while were here......
Have you checked out the carded Screamer that I did that is in the card stock gallery?

It's all hcmbanjo's or axexplorer's I saved everything that caught my eye when the ultimate paper rockets site was up. Chris Michelson has his cardstock rockets on his patreon site and I should not undercut his fundraising. If no one objects in a day or two maybe I'll post more

Last edited:
Yellow-Jacket
A Great big THANK YOU for putting all of this on here!!!!! During covid and strange times this is all a great diversion and something different to think about. You can go building crazy for very little cost here. I hope that more people see this and download and build them all!!! Let's see some pictures of some builds here!!

555E870F-DAB1-48DF-818A-314B023AD53E.jpeg

Back to the Hornet, here is my print out of the Green Hornet... build to follow,

It's all hcmbanjo's or axexplorer's I saved everything that caught my eye when the ultimate paper rockets site was up. Chris Michelson has his cardstock rockets on his patreon site and I should not undercut his fundraising. If no one objects in a day or two maybe I'll post more

Oh, I object!
Please remove my carded PDFs from this thread.
I own the Copyrights on all my work. These were meant to be premiums for Patreon subscribers.
If they are distributed for free, it undercuts the Patreon members.

Thank you for understanding.

Oh, I object!
I own the Copyrights on all my work. These were meant to be premiums for Patreon subscribers.

FYI - You might have to click the “Report” button, if those posts are no longer editable by the poster, to get the attention of the admins.

After cutting out the parts, sort of laid out in their proper alignment.
6F838565-E75D-459E-9ED3-BDA7148D195B.jpeg
I use a regular size office scissor for the big parts, and a smaller Cutter Bee for the little details and curves like the nose cone.

First, the fins. For this one I am going with a simple four ply, I have enough scrap to make a turkey and cheese layer, then score the backside of the printed fins for a clean sharp fold and make the sandwich of four paper layers with the printed colors as the bread and the two inner layers the turkey and cheese. For a larger fin, I would use another sheet of paper to make sure the layers are rotated in how they are cut out so the grain goes in different directons, and maybe use five layers. But for this size, this should work.

DDB26010-CBDB-4FD8-ABE6-C1059FE3A7E9.jpeg4DA46D19-50F4-41FA-90DA-7F13D06817A8.jpeg1AA9EF53-1206-4948-8294-879A952A39AD.jpeg5FB673B4-BE2D-45C0-9C4A-3DB02D6BE69E.jpeg
I lightly score the back of the printed fins along the fold line with the back of the tip of one scissor blade along the edge of a metal ruler.

I will let the sandwich dry and then cut out the individual fins. I might go over the cut edges with a marker to try matching the printed fin colors.

Last edited:
After cutting the fins, a little color added to the cut edges, but not the roots.

625D3F5B-4C4C-43B0-8B33-28B38EB1A358.jpeg

Body tube and launch lug. I dry roll these first, then uncurl enough to apply the glue stick, then roll them up.

F1678C1A-351F-46D7-9B96-3CD564A4C1D5.jpegBA95A912-BCA7-415D-A6B3-05C708D2AFD1.jpeg3029EA35-338F-41C7-BB6E-0DD1C0F12324.jpeg22900893-B8F3-4451-8100-F435E4B10101.jpegE553E227-794B-4891-ACD3-0A9C728C1D2E.jpeg3A0CE7D9-565F-4784-BE34-9A420A714EB7.jpeg

Easy parts are done, nose cone is next, ugh, that is my least favorite.

I cheated for now, just borrowing the nose from the other Hornet build. The rest is typical, thrust ring and Kevlar, short streamer, and some nose clay. That’s all!

8935ECAA-28E4-4CE8-9B9A-B82C9DE9ED93.jpeg

After cutting out the nose cone transitions, made with the tool on PayloadBay.Com I color the cut edges and trace the edges to make my glue tabs. I also color a stripe under the seam to help hide any gaps.

DF371FCF-0003-412C-AFFE-9B83240DFC8E.jpeg721761B5-FE8A-49E7-B9B3-34592EA25045.jpeg

Oh, I object!

Done!

BB4BF3F1-663B-48C9-9F02-5ACD54891A7B.jpegE75A0DCD-1B47-4E5F-8E3E-076FD7918EC6.jpeg

Nose cone shoulder is rolled to fit inside the body tube. After dry curling the cones to shape they are glued, tweezers help here. then to join them make feather cuts on the glue tab and pre fold them lightly to fit in the next cone. Use very little glue and spread it around with a skewer, then use the skewer to push down the glue tabs on the inside.

Last edited:
Back