Quantcast

Downsize carded Hornet plans wanted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Colorado John

Reaction score
Anyone here have the carded Hornet plans. I made this one before and it was an outstanding flyer. I went to the site to download it again and it is closed. Now it is only available to members of the site. Seems a shame that all of those nice cardstock rockets can are now just for a select few. The carded Yellowjacket was another nice one.

GlenP

Reaction score
I could not find those either. I just made a quick and dirty redraw for a 13mm min dia version here. Try this out and feel free to post pictures of your build if you want. If there are any problems with this template let me know, I haven't built this one yet. I don't have glue tabs for the nose cone transitions in the template, you can kind of trace those part edges and cut your own, or just use a plastic cone BT-5 size.

update: I added the thin black band on the body below the fins, not sure if there was a decal for that, it shows up in the old Centuri catalog pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Colorado John

Reaction score
Here is my new card stock Hornet. A great big thank you goes out to Glen P. for his great plans and all of his help. This is really nice and everyone should make one. Show me your Hornet builds!

Attachments

GlenP

Reaction score
Here is my new card stock Hornet. A great big thank you goes out to Glen P. for his great plans and all of his help. This is really nice and everyone should make one. Show me your Hornet builds!
Nice job, these cardstock models can be quite addictive. I just found an X-15 paper display model that might make a good conversion to flying rocket model.

GlenP

Reaction score
Just a handful, check the older threads here in the Cardstock Rocketry forum. I do regular kit builds too, but so many other folks do a fine job posting those build threads here, I don’t have much to add in that department.

If you like the 13mm powered rockets, here are a few to consider to add to your collection: the Estes Mini Tri Pak

my templates don’t have instructions, I assume familiarity with the Project Paper thread methods, I actually copy those nose cones.

Colorado John

Reaction score
Glen P, Here is my kit bash of a Star Trooper that I turned into the Hornet from your plans. Everything worked out perfect and it turned out very nice.

Attachments

GlenP

Reaction score
Very cool, glad that worked out for you. The cardstock models look pretty decent after you give them a clear coat, I like the satin/semi-gloss or glossy clear. Since that has a shorter nose cone and looks like the paper wrap is a little short, you could paint that top portion of the body tube black to match the nose cone, maybe? Also, you can certainly make these anyway you like, but I think the original kit catalog picture has the one black fin along the black decal line that goes through the main -HORNET logo. But, hey I don't always stick to the plan either, I added the inverse white logo decal on the one black fin, the original just had one of those smaller logos in black for a yellow fin or on the back of the body on the lug side.