Downsides to just gluing ebay & coupler to aft body?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan R

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've just started building my secret santa LOC Iris 2".

It has an ebay section. I don't dual deploy and don't see myself ever using it as such.
I have tracker and altimeter, but those can just be attached to nc or shock cord.

Downside to just glueing coupler and ebay section permanently to body?
Or is there some other good method to attach for future use (screws?)

I was thinking about problems with laundry catching on screws
Screws will be inside the upper section where the altimeter is. Laundry will be in the lower section of the rocket.

This one is screwed in. You can see where some of the CA ran down the inner tube when I hardened the holes. Either methed works just fine.
20220311_122721.jpg

If you want to use nuts in the coupler, you would usually use a PEM style nut:

https://www.mcmaster.com/pem/stainless-steel-press-fit-nuts-for-soft-metal-and-plastic-7/
If those are too thick (the "neck" on those is about 1/16" thick), the ones for thin sheet metal have shorter necks (look at the "minimum panel thickness"): https://www.mcmaster.com/pem/steel-press-fit-nuts-for-sheet-metal-8/

I usually use 6-32 nuts/screws on smaller rockets, 8-32 on medium rockets and 1/4"-20 on bigger rockets. Anything smaller than that, just use plastic rivets.

You just epoxy them in:

PXL_20220311_182331991.jpg

PXL_20220311_182342039.jpg

Screws will be inside the upper section where the altimeter is. Laundry will be in the lower section of the rocket.

Actually what I'm seeing is this: No bulkhead. Altimeter up front, chute behind would have to go thru coupler.

If you want to use nuts in the coupler, you would usually use a PEM style nut:
Ahh thank you @mtnmanak .. I was seeing pointy wood screws in my mind.

iris-1.png

Back