Downscales of some classics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Downscaling is fun!!I have built BT-5 versions of te Cherokee D, Renegade, Alpha, and Big Bertha, and fly them on 13mm motors.

Here is a pic of a couple of them bext to a Streak for scale.

I'm gonna have to try one or two of these myself!

I noted that, in the article, the author built a BT5 scale Alpha, but he complained that there was no good nose cone for it. Well, problem solved - the new PNC5 in the new Swift rocket is pretty close. I calculate the cone should be 1.5" long, and the new cone is a 1.3 ogive. I figure to add a couple tenths of an inch to the body tube to make up the difference, which means the BT5 can be 4.5".

Yup - gonna have to build one of these!

One other thought - how about a downscale Gooney Bird using the Mosquito nose? Might have to try that now that Scott over at Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe has the fin layout for the Zoom Broom!

Greg

I really like the small rockets,the cost involved is small and motors are cheap.
Usually they really zip with their tiny weight.
A world of Caution though
I lost my Der Big Red Max on my first launch (5mph wind) and I used a tiny streamer:(
Mike

I ran the downscale Alpha through Rocsim today - using a 1/4A3-2T, it will still do over 200 feet. I went back and added a Micromaxx mount, and did the sim using an MMX2, and got about 100 feet. That may be an interesting alternative to losing these little beasts!

Greg

I love downscales!
I've been micronizing everthing I can think of:D
Tiny size doesn't mean low performance, I've lost several tiny models to Micro-Maxx-II motors. outa sights..never to be seen again. I lost a micro- Gyroc last sunday. heard the pop but never saw the model. How bout a micro Goblin or Ram-jet:)

extremevelocity wrote:

"I lost my Der Big Red Max on my first launch (5mph wind) and I used a tiny streamer"

I am thinking that the streamer is more for visibility than anything else on a bird this size. A bigger streamer should be more helpful than a little one.

Like I said I'm a little crazy about downscaleing the classics. Here's my Micro-Maxx Downscale only fleet:D
The only one that hasn't flown well is the Skydart,..My fault I built the glider to heavy, she just bearly cleared the launch rod. the rest fly well to extreamly well...enjoy

wow thats a nice fleet you got there.
So there is a micro mailing list?
Let me know it would be interesting:D
Mike

wow thats a nice fleet you got there.
So there is a micro mailing list?
Let me know it would be interesting:D
Mike

Mike:
I went back and changed my previous post, that photo isn't of my Micro-Maxx Fleet, it only the downscaled micro's, Actually the entire fleet consists of 90 different models at the monent. I'll attach a photo of another section of the fleet below on Scale model Micro's, then there are Odd-Roc's, Competition type models, and Plastic model conversions:D
Not a mailing list as such, but Art Applewhite set up a Yahoo group for Micromaxxers. If your interested you can join the group at https://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicroMaxRockets/
Note the Upper case letters M- M- R- and that Max has only 1 x.
If you join us, Please check out the files and photos sections as well as the FAQ section, all are loaded with tons of photos, One page plans and info on just about anything ya might need reguarding building materials, finishing, construction, Making tiny tubes & Launch lugs, Launch equipment, flying and of coarse talking about micros your building or planning. Hope to see ya there:)

Well, after a dialog on the Micro Max Yahoo group, I thought I'd drag this idea back out. I've built three of the BT-5 downscales so far: An Alpha, a Red Max and the Cherokee D. I decided to try to skip the painting/decalling route, and printed the final artwork on presentation paper (96 bright, matte finish) and glue it over a BT-5 as a wrap. I also made the fins from cardboard and did both surfaces with the presentation paper as well. I used Tamiya Acrylic model paint for the plastic nose cones (scuff the plastic with 400 sandpaper first). I made the motor mounts from 110 pound cardstock. Finally, I'm using nose blow recovery with thread shock cords.

I'm really pleased with the results. I ran the Cherokee D through rocksim, and it says the rocket will do about 100 feet (the final dry weight of this rocket is a bit over 8 grams). I can't wait to put these guys in the air!

Given the ready availability of these nose cones (I used the Quark nose cone on the Cherokee D and the Red Max, and the 220 Swift nose cone for the Alpha), I plan to build a bunch of these things. In the works:

MMX powered 1:1 scale Mosquito
60% Groove Tube
34% Goony Bird Fleet
34% Big Bertha
21% Fat Boy
Whatever else my fevered brain can come up with - These things are too much fun! :D

Greg

Greg,

Cardstock models downscaled and printed on 67# paper work great too.

I have a Mercury Redstone, Centuri Vulcan, Centuri Point , Asrtron Falcon boost glider, and Juno I all for Micro-Maxx motors.

Here is a photo of my Juno I.

Very nicely done Bob!
Great looking Juno-1, do I understand all the body markings are per printed on standard computer paper? What adhesive did you use for application?

Greg:
Great looking micros! I lilke the printed wrap look, Were your wraps on pre-adhesive backed presentation paper? If not what adhesive did you use?

Nope, I just used white glue to glue the wrap on. I used presentation paper because it takes the ink with more intense (and crisp) color. I think the type of paper is the key - I used Office Depot's home brand of Premium Matte Presentation Paper. Then, I just drew a line along the length of the BT and used white glue to glue the wrap in place. Burnish down the edges, and you're done. I even print the fin and launch lug positions onto the wrap. As I said, the only thing to paint is the nose.

BTW, I'm now building a Mosquito using the same technique. I've already installed the mmx motor mount, and plan to use nose blow recovery on it, since ejecting the motor won't make much weight difference here. John, I've seen that you like to use the mosquito in a lot of your photos for reference - do you ever fly them on mmx motors? Would seem to be a natural.

Greg

Ah haha OH yes the trademark Mosquito's:D
I use them for scale in most model pics and I fly them on micro's quite a bit. My MMX powered mosquitos use a rear ejection Power pod and teflon streamer. I thought I had a photo of one with the pod out but can't put my finger on it, here one on the pad anyway:)

Originally posted by Micromeister
Very nicely done Bob!
Great looking Juno-1, do I understand all the body markings are per printed on standard computer paper? What adhesive did you use for application?

Everything is printed on 67# paper and the body tube is rolled and glued with white glue. The fins are a double layer of cardstock. All up weight with wadding & streamer, but no motor, is 2 grams. The body tube is smaller than T4 tubing.

Here is a picture beside a cardstock Mercury Redstone. The body tube is BT-5 size for this one. It is also all cardstock and the weight of this is 5 grams. I estimate at least 100 ft for the MR and the Juno-1 is out of sight so I don't have a guess. I have been lucky to see it on the way down the 2 times I flew it.

Originally posted by gpoehlein
.... I've built three of the BT-5 downscales so far: An Alpha, a Red Max and the Cherokee D. I decided to try to skip the painting/decalling route, and printed the final artwork on presentation paper (96 bright, matte finish) and glue it over a BT-5 as a wrap. I also made the fins from cardboard and did both surfaces with the presentation paper as well. I used Tamiya Acrylic model paint for the plastic nose cones (scuff the plastic with 400 sandpaper first). I made the motor mounts from 110 pound cardstock. Greg

Greg,

These models are just fantastic!

Are you going to make the wraps available so the rest of us copycats can make one too?? :D :D

Or are you going to force me to do the artwork myself? :(

Bob

Yeah - I'll make the wraps available in the next few days - I want to tweak them a bit first.

Greg

Originally posted by gpoehlein
I've built three of the BT-5 downscales so far: An Alpha, a Red Max and the Cherokee D......

Given the ready availability of these nose cones (I used the Quark nose cone on the Cherokee D and the Red Max, and the 220 Swift nose cone for the Alpha), I plan to build a bunch of these things. In the works:

MMX powered 1:1 scale Mosquito
60% Groove Tube
34% Goony Bird Fleet
34% Big Bertha
21% Fat Boy
Whatever else my fevered brain can come up with - These things are too much fun! :D

Greg

Ok Greg,

You forced me into it. Here are a couple of my MMX rockets built using the Quark nose cone. The 220 Swift wasn't available at the Michael's store but I got the Quarks with 40% off coupons. :D

Goblin
Sentinal

micro-maxx.jpg

Interesting... I have that in the NARAM photo album, but that sure do look like one of Bill's pads.... not to mention the flag partition... hhhmmmmm

I guess the my latest downscale has to be a Micro-Maxx powered Scissor wing glider. yes it was a pain to downscale;) it's glide rate isn't as good as the full size but after altering the elevator stop a bit it has a nice fast glide.

All of these "micros" are so neat! ...and so well done!

I'm interested in hearing how you all duplicate the original markings. Some of the mini replicas are perfectly accurate in the decals...Tango Papa?

I had a Estes Mini Patriot long ago, also built a BT20 Juno 1 but never flew it...

A whole new wave in modrocs....anyone do any micro cluster kits?

What fun!

Dave
(rain, wind and cold...no painting for now...rats!)

MicroClassics suplies decals from Phred at Excelsior Rocketry
with our kits. Excelent work, properly downscaled from our
downscale kits. You should see the new Interceptor we released
at NARCON, 1/3 scale with the same decals as seen on the
upscale version seen in this forum.

Decals:
Many of the "kit" makers supply decals, Quest will be coming out with New kits sometime later this year,
Personally I make all my own decals with an Alps MD-1000, same method as tango-papa, and several others.
Inkjet waterslide decal papers have come a long way in the last couple years but the printers themselves have some cymk/rgb interp. problems that make most blues tend to the purple side. No orange and most browns are on the yellow side so tweeking is required to get a decal you'll want to use on your model.
Some folks here have talked about printed paper body wraps that seem to do a fine job.

Clustering: OH yeah.. one of my other passions:D
Micro clustering is a bit more of a challange with the tiny nozzles and very quick liftoffs. Quests new Q2's have had an excellent success rate for me with 3 and 4 motor models.
I have a Bt-20 downscale Ranger 4 motor cluster with on-board LED's for night flights.
I recently finished a series of 2x1/8A comptition cluster Altitude models. and have build and flown 3 to 8 motor micor clusters...Fun City!!

Back