Double sided tape to attaching wraps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KILTED COWBOY

Reaction score
I have heard some folks use a good quality double sided tape to attach vacuformed wraps to body tubes instead of the spry adhesive.
Has anyone used this method and willing to give my your opinion/advise on this method?

That's an interesting idea... If you can find a way to bond the edges it might hold up even if the tape releases eventually.

I have used 3M #465 double sided tape (available on Amazon) with good results. I have also used Beacon Foam Tac, also with good results. I prefer the Foam Tac on the larger wraps. If the starting or ending edges aren't flush with either method, a little CA can fix it.

Both Saturn's pictured here used 3M double sided laminating tape. Both built around 2002. There has not been any lifting of the wraps. I don't remember exactly what the number was but it is probably on the old Apogee Saturn instruction CD. I have also used this method on Estes Saturn Vs and on some of the wraps on the Sirius Saturn V. The best advise I can give is remove around a half inch of the tape and fold it back so that you can check alignment on the tube. Then when happy remove the backing while pulling ( stretching ) the wrap around the tube. When trimming the wraps allow for the thickness of the adhesive.Saturns.jpg

Funny timing on this. I just finished putting the shrinkable plastic sheets over the insides of my drafty windows for the winter and found that they package way more tape than you need; my obsession being what it is, I look at all that leftover tape and wonder if it would be good for rocketry.

It's newsprint thin tape and sticks tenaciously both to the painted wood window trim if the paint is clean and the tape pressed will down, and to the slick plastic, which is unusual for a tape adhesive. I think it's a 3M product; I do not have any handy to check.

I've never done a kit with a wrap, and now I've got to get one because I think this tape will work great.

I've never done a kit with a wrap, and now I've got to get one because I think this tape will work great.

That's a very good idea. I've used that tape and it does have a strong adhesive, I've had it pull up bits of paint before on an old window. And you're right, it's very thing so should manage contours very well.

I checked a roll of the tape. It just has the window product name on it, Kool King or whatever. So I don't know who makes it, but I'm sure someone with good Google Fu could find it pretty easily.

Back