Double or triple parachutes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well played.

Does it need the boosters or are they just for show?
It needs ‘em. A C6-5 might get it off the pad without the boosters, but the weight is right at a C6-5’s maximum lift off weight. Three A8-3’s gets it moving quickly. It needs that big initial thrust to get off the pad. If a C11 came in an 18mm form factor, that might work.

So all the chutes are in the main central body tube? Was kind of confused by the first post without a picture to help in visualizing the recovery configuration. The side strap on parallel/cluster “boosters” don’t have any chutes in their tubes, they only contain the zero delay motors and vent directly outside?

So all the chutes are in the main central body tube? Was kind of confused by the first post without a picture to help in visualizing the recovery configuration. The side strap on parallel/cluster “boosters” don’t have any chutes in their tubes, they only contain the zero delay motors and vent directly outside?
That is correct. Before I painted the rocket, the booster tubes each had a small parachute in it. But that left scorch marks on the side of the sustainer tube. Didn’t like he scorching. When it was unpainted, it had three parachutes. One in each booster and one in sustainer.

Now the only place for a parachute is the sustainer tube. I am trying to get two parachutes in there. It is a tight fit. I am scared the ejection charge won’t blow out all of that laundry.

Each parachute is 11.5 inches in diameter (circle).

Three engine cluster. I love clusters.

:)

0EAD4253-2454-401C-B32F-256E4A7E1363.jpeg
F1DC0992-E057-4B39-8BFC-DDC79171F362.jpeg

F5DEAA83-6650-482E-9613-7424F47419A2.jpeg

463B25C2-2174-402C-8C2A-26459700BEAB.jpeg

D88D4159-E14D-4C0D-8382-DBF6BB23BAF3.jpeg

Ok, now I understand, you were talking about a before and after configuration, two different set ups of the same rocket that was modified. Thanks for the clarification.

I think if you continue to pack the two chutes carefully you shouldn't have any problem. If you pull the nose cone out partially and turn it upside down, the weight of the nose should be able to pull the chutes out, if not then maybe they were packed too tightly in the tube. I would worry more about just getting them out of the tube first, then not worry so much about the unfurling.

Ok, now I understand, you were talking about a before and after configuration, two different set ups of the same rocket that was modified. Thanks for the clarification.

I think if you continue to pack the two chutes carefully you shouldn't have any problem. If you pull the nose cone out partially and turn it upside down, the weight of the nose should be able to pull the chutes out, if not then maybe they were packed too tightly in the tube. I would worry more about just getting them out of the tube first, then not worry so much about the unfurling.
Here is the previous configuration where each booster tube had its own parachute. See the scorch marks the ejection charges in the boosters left on the sustainer tube? That is what I didn’t like. So I decided to just glue on the booster tube nose cones and use only plugged or booster engines in the two booster tubes.

But that left only the sustainer tube to hold parachutes.

Post in thread 'Starting Build on Unnamed Spare Parts Monstrosity'
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...d-spare-parts-monstrosity.173392/post-2292467

It needs ‘em. A C6-5 might get it off the pad without the boosters, but the weight is right at a C6-5’s maximum lift off weight. Three A8-3’s gets it moving quickly. It needs that big initial thrust to get off the pad. If a C11 came in an 18mm form factor, that might work.
The Estes C5 will work in some situations when the C6 won't work.

You mentioned the "parawad". I've only had that a few times, when I first started in rocketry. I had read everything I could find so when I packed a parachute I had it folded and rolled and wrapped tightly, exactly like the pictures showed. It looked exactly the same when it hit the ground. So my next flight I did the opposite- I did the least amount of folding/gathering I could do and get it in the tube, and no wrapping at all. It opened fine and I've done it that way since. Occasionally I'll have a parachute melt a little bit and that keeps it from opening completely but it still works to some extent. Everybody has their way to pack a parachute and I still hear very experienced people talk about folding/rolling/wrapping.

"SLIDERS" (more complexity) they go over the shroud lines and start up at the parachute end. They slow the opening of the chute as they slide down to the end of the shroud line. This helps both (or more) chutes all "blossom".

BUT

If the slider is too small, not smooth, or can shift "up" to far; it will hang up, holding the chute closed.
how about a single slider, but its actually 2 sliders in one, where each chute has its own slider within the bigger slider?

The Estes C5 will work in some situations when the C6 won't work.

You mentioned the "parawad". I've only had that a few times, when I first started in rocketry. I had read everything I could find so when I packed a parachute I had it folded and rolled and wrapped tightly, exactly like the pictures showed. It looked exactly the same when it hit the ground. So my next flight I did the opposite- I did the least amount of folding/gathering I could do and get it in the tube, and no wrapping at all. It opened fine and I've done it that way since. Occasionally I'll have a parachute melt a little bit and that keeps it from opening completely but it still works to some extent. Everybody has their way to pack a parachute and I still hear very experienced people talk about folding/rolling/wrapping.
the current C5, as I have said before here and on YORF, is NOT the original C5 in performance. It's a very poor copy.

anyway, here's a url to compare the C5 vs the C6 and you decide which motor you would rather use in the out-boards.

yes, the C5 has about an 50%+ higher initial thrust spike, but the C6 has a about a 18% higher average thrust.

https://www.thrustcurve.org/motors/...2310000000014&motors=5f4294d20002310000000015

I don’t see a problem with multiple chutes when each has its own tube and motor for ejection, except possibly that if all work perfectly you may have the equivalent of a single OVERSIZED chute and a long walk or lost rocket.

Packing two chutes or more in ONE tube I think is asking for trouble.

Lots of ways to pack a single chute , I don’t claim to know the best.

My personal chute failures have been

1. Fit in tube too tight, chute doesn’t deploy.

For low powe, if you can’t blow off the nose cone, chute, shock cord, and wadding by blowing through the motor mount with one breath, it’s too tight. Reasons may be poor packing or packed too early (like night before) and chute expanded so much. Also sometimes get caught on T-Bag shock cord mounts. Possible solutions are pack as close to launch time as possible, smaller chute, nylon chute, talc powder.

2. Torn shroud lines. Usually due on black powder motors to ejection too early or too late. Also tends to occur with severe “cruise missile” weathercocking. Nylon chutes or plastic chutes with shroud lines that go over the top on plastic chutes can help.

how about a single slider, but its actually 2 sliders in one, where each chute has its own slider within the bigger slider?
I don't think that will work. It would keep the 2 chutes too close to each other. With multiple chutes, they need to get able to spread apart. Which is why they usually are on risers. The risers let them have more length between the connecton point to the harness and the shroud lines.

Back