Don't you just hate it when...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Havoc821

Reaction score
..you lock your keys in your car? I've only been driving for 6 months and this is my 4th time locking my keys in my car. I'm stuck at school right now. I'm probably the ditzyest person you will ever know.

well, actually I have a button to press that unlocks my door, but it's on my key ring too, so well, it really doesn't help me now

The solution costs about 3-4 dollars..... First go to wal-mart and get an extra copy of your car key made..... Second, while in wal-mart buy a hide-a-key......... Now you're all done.......:D :D

Originally posted by Mrs.Havoc821
..you lock your keys in your car? I've only been driving for 6 months and this is my 4th time locking my keys in my car. I'm stuck at school right now. I'm probably the ditzyest person you will ever know.

reminds me of, years ago, when my wife was driving and getting tired. So at a traffic light we decided to switch and let me drive...

She gets out, I get out, we run around the car only to discover that we'd both locked our respective doors out of habit....

sitting at a traffic light with the engine running... ...way to look cool... :p

Wow, Jim!

That's gotta set a record for the slowest Chinese Fire Drill in history!

;) WW

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
The solution costs about 3-4 dollars..... First go to wal-mart and get an extra copy of your car key made..... Second, while in wal-mart buy a hide-a-key......... Now you're all done.......:D :D

That may not be an option. My 2002 Toyota Sienna, for instance, has some electronics inside the key, so you can't just get a new one cut at Wal-Mart or the Home Depot. You have to buy a new one from Toyota.

Originally posted by JRThro
That may not be an option. My 2002 Toyota Sienna, for instance, has some electronics inside the key, so you can't just get a new one cut at Wal-Mart or the Home Depot. You have to buy a new one from Toyota.

The electronics probably are needed to start the engine. A standard metal key will still open the door. It just will not start the engine.

Yep. They're plenty expensive. Had one made for my Explorer (paid for by the dealer). $75.00... ouch

well, actually I have a button to press that unlocks my door, but it's on my key ring too, so well, it really doesn't help me now
The "keyless entry" I'm talking about is right on the door of the vehicle. No key or "remote" (the thing on your keyring) needed. Saved me more than a few times. :rolleyes:

Same with my son's Acura. We got them to throw extras in when we bought the car. They said the dealer could only make 2 copies, which we got. That car also needs a trip to the dealer to re-enable the stereo after the battery is disconnected.

The worst lock-in I did was a Sunday evening in Fort Stockton, Tx. Luckily, I caught the one locksmith on his way to services. Might have had to spend the night! Carried a key in magnetic holder in the aircleaner housing after that.

Originally posted by jflis
reminds me of, years ago, when my wife was driving and getting tired. So at a traffic light we decided to switch and let me drive...

She gets out, I get out, we run around the car only to discover that we'd both locked our respective doors out of habit....

sitting at a traffic light with the engine running... ...way to look cool... :p

Finally... something that made my wife smile after locking BOTH sets of our keys in the car at a rest stop in the middle of Georgia during our vacation last week.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

My daughter did this, with the car running. She called for help. We're 1800 miles away. We found that tow trucks with "lock out" service are way cheaper than locksmiths.

Glad you reminded me about this. Time to check to see if she got that second key to hide outside the car.

My Chevy has a security system that unlocks the car and unlocks the electronic ignition. It relocks itself after 60 seconds unless you start the car. Even if you have a valid key, the electronics are locked after the 60 second limit. Last fall the remote died. I could get into the car by unlocking the door with the key, but not start it, because the remote unlocks the electronics. Fortunately, I was about 5 miles from home and my wife was able to bring the other remote. Needless to say, that function is disabled till I replace the remote. If both went bad or got lost, starting the car would be an expensive proposition, I'm sure.

I locked my keys in the door on my first real date. Middle of winter in Wisconsin too. :eek:

Ya know...This happens so darn much!

I've owned probably 10 VW's in my life and they did two things differently than other manufacturers that really helped prevent this...OH...it still happened but it was less likely!

First in the "olden days" of the VW beetle (not the newer ones!) you could lock the door without the key ...BUT...you had to first push the button down, then hold the handle button from the outside when you closed the door!

Kinda hard to explain to someone that wasn't familiar but it worked.

On the newer ones (like 1975 to 2000 model years) you didn't have to hold the buttons on the handles...BUT...you could ONLY lock the drivers door WITH the key from the outside.

Didn't help if the passenger reached over, locked the drivers door then locked his door when he got out.

On the really newer ones...I don't know...I haven't worked for VW in about 18 years.

All I drive now are pickup trucks! For work vehicles.

You think that's bad? Last week I locked my keys in my dorm room when I went to the bathroom. After trying for an hour to pick the lock, I made this hook thing from a coat hanger. After about 90 minutes I managed to hook the door handle and jimmy the door open. Now everyone thinks I'm McGuyver. :p

Good point. I bet you're right.

He is. I carry a plain ol' $2 key in my wallet that's kept me out of trouble on many occasions. Can't start the vehicle, but I can get in out of the rain.

well, i took the button thing off my key ring and stuck it in my purse. My dad was suppose to get a copy made so I can stick it in my purse. I always have my purse with me so hopefully, I won't lock my purse in my car. The first time I lock my keys in my car was when I had the 70 Mustang. I had the original keys and I locked them in when I went to the post office. Then, I got a new car when I back into someone in the Mustang (long story). Then I've locked my keys in twice at school, and once when I went to see Chris at work during his break. I've very ditzy, but I am a good driver. :D

as charged!

i locked mine in the car at the dragstrip, motor running of course
:rolleyes:

i'm really lucky it was my 1990 mustang and not the cobra, i think.

fortunately they have a slim jim kit and i got to learn firsthand how to use one.

how about this one?

i went kite flying with my daughter the other day. took mom's car. while kiting, i decided to take a picture of my daughter and have the kite in the shot also...i got on the ground and shot up at her.

problem was...the car keys dropped out of my coat pocket unbeknownst to me.

well, we flew until dusk, then packed up our gear and headed for the car.

uh oh...
no keys...

my 6-year-old wea pretty upset... i tried to keep things lighthearted, but it wasn't helping. i searched a grid pattern to no avail. i hadn't locked the vehicle, soLauren was able to remain comfortable while i searched in vain for the keys...finally it was fully dark, i went back to the car and got a flashlight and looked more...

well, it bacame obvious that i was going to have to think of something else, so i called my mom (who lives 10 minutes away from where we were) and asked for assistance. she came and picked us up, drove us home where i got the spare keys, and took me back to rescue the car.

i went back in a couple days and found the keys right where i dropped them.

:rolleyes:

(knocking on wood) I haven't done this in a while, so I don't know how easy car locks are to open nowadays, but back then it took longer to find the tool than to use it!

I've very ditzy, but I am a good driver. :D

"I'm an excellent driver... Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway every Saturday....But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday."

(Sorry - Had to be said)

And on with this fun thread!

I've only locked my keys in the car once, and I'd had the car for all of a couple weeks, so I didn't have a spare. I called the Toyota dealership, gave them the car's VIN, and they made me a new key and brought it to me. Cost me a little bit, but then I had 2 keys. Gave one to my roommate, got ANOTHER one made, and kept that one in a drawer at home. Haven't needed it, but it's nice to know that it's there.

WW

Back when I was in college I delivered pizza's on the weekends.

Starting and turning off my old 6volt car proved very hard on the starter so I would leave the motor running.

Well, the campus police didn't like that. They would turn off my car take the keys and lock my car leaving a ticket on the windshield.

(they weren't REAL police! they were campus SAFETY officers!):rolleyes:

I would have to get a ride to the campus safety office, hope the ticketing officer had made it back and dropped off my key and pay the lousy $2 ticket...yes...a $2 ticket! to get my keys back!

My solution was to keep a spare key clipped to my belt, leave the car running and and lock the door everytime I went into a dorm to deliver a pizza!

I would find the campus safety officers waiting outside shaking thier heads helpless.

The ultimate solution was to wait until I got a "bogus" pizza order...I got them all the time!..and drop off the extra pizza at the campus safety office.

Everybody loves FREE pizza!

Problem solved!

They never ticketed me again!

I locked my keys in my car once, in the ignition with the radio running. I was meeting some friends and was listening to the radio, got out to talk and shut the door. It was locked. Luckily there was a police officer with a slim jim and he got in just fine. I also had a VW with the hold the door handle in to lock trick. Never locked my keys in that car.

My wife two weeks ago used her remote starter to start her car. First she used the unlock to get in, then pressed the remote start and put the keys in the igniton and turned it on. The thing is after 15 seconds it will automatically lock the car so no one gets in. She shut the door and started scraping the windows when she heard the doors lock. Well, I was still sleeping (class at 10). She came up to the apartment door and started knocking. Well, I sleep like a log and didn't hear for about 10 minutes. (Real happy wife now) She had resorted to kicking the door exceedingly hard to get my attention. When I awoke to open the door I wasn't her favorite person in the world. I went back to sleep but I was on her bad side the whole day.

Edward

Years ago I ran out to pick up Chinese food and locked my keys in the car with the motor running. :mad:

I went inside to pick up my order and asked to borrow the phone to call my wife. The guy behind the counter, one of the many family members working in the restaurant, asked if there was a problem. When I explained what I had done he offered to drive me home so I could pick up a spare set of keys.

I didn't take him up on his offer, but I haven't ordered take-out Chinese food from anywhere but there for the last 10 years. :)

If you're ever in Royal Oak, Michigan try the Peking House. Great food, greater owners.

Originally posted by edwardw
I also had a VW with the hold the door handle in to lock trick. Never locked my keys in that car.
Edward
IIRC, there were quite a few car makers that had this configuration of "the door handle in to lock trick". We had a Plymouth Volare(sp?) like that which, when the door latch/locks would freeze, the door would not stay closed. I remember riding around with a bungee cord across my lap, attached to the seatbelt, and through the door handle. If I went around a corner a little fast, she'd swing open like an airbrake. Scared a few people with that ride. ;)

Back