Done!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BsSmith

Reaction score
I finally finished this rocket after my longest build! (just under a year from designing it in Rocksim to the last coat of paint) The tubes are glasses Estes BT-70 tubes, the nose cone and tail cone are from Apogee (they must have changed how they make their nose cones, the plastic of the older tail cone is much thicker than the nose cone). The fins are glassed plywood. It is painted with Duplicolor paint and I got the paint masks from Stickershock.

Picture 177.jpg

Picture 180.jpg

Looks awesome! I love the shiny! :clap:

When's the first flight going to be? What size motor mount?

Looks awesome! I love the shiny! :clap:

When's the first flight going to be? What size motor mount?

Thanks!

It's already test flown a couple times in primer on Gs, but it will fly on an I200 at Midwest Power in a couple weeks, hopefully to a mile. It has a 29mm mount.

That paint job is pretty darn awesome!

I've always held back from such attempts, simply because I wouldn't be able to follow-up with a repair, paint, job, when the eventual dings happen. Maybe I'll reconsider.

That paint job is pretty darn awesome!

I've always held back from such attempts, simply because I wouldn't be able to follow-up with a repair, paint, job, when the eventual dings happen. Maybe I'll reconsider.

Thanks!

The paint job didn't take much to pull off, I did more work with surface prep than I did with the paint. The masking details are really east to do if you have good masks and only keep them on for a very short time. (The masks for the guys on the fins were only on the fins for about 20 minutes) It's worth it!

A better picture on a sunny day...

Picture 189.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding job Brian!:D Gotta love those DupliColor 'Mirage' paints(I presume that is what you used?)! Then topped off with the Clear Effex clear coat?..Whatever it was, it looks fantastic!:clap:

Outstanding job Brian!:D Gotta love those DupliColor 'Mirage' paints(I presume that is what you used?)! Then topped off with the Clear Effex clear coat?..Whatever it was, it looks fantastic!:clap:

Thank you! :)

Mirage paints? I haven't heard of them but they sound interesting, I'll look for them for the next rocket. This is just Gloss Black, Bright Red (that has a flourescant look in the sun), and Chrome (replaced in some parts by aluminium tape). It does have the Effex clear coat though. The Effex is what's giving it the 'rainbow' look.

Now all I need is a sunny, low wind day to launch it.

It flew yesterday at Midwest Power.

The Parrot says it went to 4700' on the dot, maybe on a warmer day and that CTI 29mm I it will make it to a mile. This was still the highest and fastest flight I've ever done.

I had visual contact with it for about half the decent. It had a Beeline transmitter in it, but we lost signal when it landed. As we got closer to it the signal came back. It landed about a mile and a half away from the pad, which made for a fun walk through the muddy field.

Sounds like a great flight. Congrats!

Also sounds like dual deploy may be needed :D or design and build another rocket for that.

The important thing is, you got it back. Did it clean up well after landing in that muddy field?

Yes, it does need dual deploy, and I am considering building a new upper section that has it. I just need new couplers and another nose cone. I originally cut the tubes for a low altitude flyer, not one that went a mile. The long drift did serve as a fox hunt exersise for my ham radio club though.

The mud washed right off of it, and the flight didn't even chip the paint. I'll post the flight graph for it once I get it on this computer.

Congrats! :) Hey, it took me 3 years to finish building my FlisKits Just Past Due, a Micromaxx rocket. :eek:

MarkII

Wow that is a sharp looking rocket.

Is the running man on the fin barfing? Probably bad to do both at the same time.

Looks great, That had to be a DOT at that altitude..

Glad you got it back.

Dragon, the rocket is Running with scissors... so NO its not barf LOL although that would be a cool rocket name.

call it "I get air sick" LOL

Last edited:
Wow that is a sharp looking rocket.

Is the running man on the fin barfing? Probably bad to do both at the same time.

Thanks.

No, the guy on the fin is not barfing, but running with scissors.

"I Get Air Sick" That could be a name for a future project, maybe one that does corkscrews or some other erratic (but safe) flight pattern.

Back