Don’t forget to turn on your chute release.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeTekcor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lesson learned.
Apparently when you test release the chute release you have to turn it back on to re-activate it. Luckily even though I lawn darted, I only destroyed the payload bay.

I've actually had mine turn off when putting it back into the nomex protector. Luckily for me I doubled checked that it was on and caught the issue. Not sure if I bumped the button when inserting it but normally when you hit the button it just changes the deployment altitude and does not turn it off.

Since then I have checked it every time and have not had any issues besides this one anamoly. It is certainly something to watch out for.

I'm on my third JLCR. The first one was lost with the supplied tether when the rocket deployed the chute at motor burn out. I found all the rocket parts but not the JLCR.
The second disappeared when the rocket went up and never came back down. If the rocket ever de-orbits I expect to get the JLCR back too.
I've never had a crash issue because of the JLCR. Who knows, that might be the reason for my fourth one...

My 1st JLCR is still in a tree in southern Kansas. In retrospect I wish I hadn't upgraded to a Kevlar harness for that bird.

Lesson learned.
Apparently when you test release the chute release you have to turn it back on to re-activate it. Luckily even though I lawn darted, I only destroyed the payload bay.
Lawn darted? Didn't the chute eject?

So not a true lawn dart. But the nose cone was heavy enough it planted into the dirt with the body tube laying next to it

Back