Dog Sled Racing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if any of you folks are into Dog Sled Racing or Ski-Journing, but my sister (Bev) in Alaska sure is!

The last 2 years were misserable for racing as the snow was very poor, but this year seems like it is going to be a banner year.

Her first race she placed 4th, but her most recent race (2nd of the year) she placed FIRST! :)

Results can be found at: https://www.sleddogcentral.com/results04/alaska/chugiak_2.htm

My sister is Bev Stevens and she runs the 6 dog races.

very cool :)
jim

Last year The family and I went dogsleding on a trip to Tremblant in Canada. What fun!
If you get a chance try it.

Originally posted by jflis
Her first race she placed 4th, but her most recent race (2nd of the year) she placed FIRST! :)

WOW. Jim, I have never seen the actual times these dog sled teams run...... If I am doing the math right, your sister averaged about 18 mph!!!!!!

yep :)

Imagine hitting a turn at 18 mph on a *sled*...!

She's gotten them up to about 23-25 in the sprint races. This whole sport facinates me. For example, her dogs and her team are listed as "short distance" because they run 25 mile races and shorter...

25 miles, short distance... hell, I can't run across my YARD without taking a break LOL

She's told me some horror stories too, like falling off the sled, 10 miles from the line, only to have her dogs finish the race without her (long hike...) (that's why she carries a "snow anchor" with her now :D

She packs a gun too... ...she's had too many run-ins (literally...) with moose and pepper spray just ticks 'em off...

her *best* experience though was when she was doing volunteer work at a large international race in Knik (the "K" *is* pronounced), 33 of the top international dog sled racers were running in a "world cup" type of race. Bev was helping contestants with their dogs, sleds, whatever help was needed (this was a 20 mile race)

At the last minute, one of the European racers had a dog come up lame and he bailed out of the competition. A racing buddy of hers suggested that she take his spot in the race. The idea excited her, but you need credientials to get into such a race. The racer who bailed heard about her interest and got her into the race (she *always* has her dogs with her)

so, here she is, 50-something and only racing for about 5 years, in the mix with the top dog sled racers in the world...

...she placed 13th overall... :D

Everyone there commented to her that she would never be considered an *amature* in this sport again. It was the highlight of her racing carreer (that was 2 years ago).

jim

Back