dog collar tracker?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been discussed previously...

Visiting my daughter over the holidays, a person who loves her dogs, she mentioned the collars they have that notify an app on their phones when the dogs go away from their house and give their gps locations. I was thinking they have to be using a cell network for this, and then I was thinking this would be great for rocketry use if your launch field is within cell network range. You would get gps coordinates on your phone when the rocket lands! I don't think they are overly expensive since they are made for dogs and not for a limited hobby like rockets.

Do you need a subscription for tracking? Or does it work as a radio beacon? If the Cube picks up gps satellites and sends it to your phone I think it's a winner.

Last edited:
I've been using the similar Trackimo 3G and Tracki 3G GPS/GSM trackers for a few years now. (Same tracker, just a different marketing scheme on the initial cost and subscription price.) They work extraordinarily well so long as the GSM (cell phone) coverage is good where you're launching. The subscription plans vary, but range from $5 to $20 a month depending on how long you're willing to invest.

As 3G is likely to disappear sometime in 2022 as 4G LTE and 5G become the sole standards, Trackimo 3G and Tracki 3G will stop working. But a new Tracki 4G has just been launched. And it's got one really killer advantage over the crowded field. If you lose it or break it, you get a new one FREE. Loss of the tracker to a tree or pond was always the risk, especially when the cost of a Trackimo was nearly $200.

Now, this loss replacement offer was previously only for a Tracki purchased through Amazon, so be sure to read all the fine print for yourself before signing up.

https://www.amazon.com/Tracki-Magnetic-Required-Worldwide-Motorcycles/dp/B07N4DHFZM

I got a couple of those things really cheap. Just in case the dog got out accidentally.
They are still in the package, I've had them for over a year now.
Instructions indicate a phone is needed, not a computer, so I just forgot about them.
I thought about using them for rockets, but that too went to the shelf since I very rarely launch any more.
2021 yield Zero launches.
But I would like to hear how well they work if someone tries them out!

Locked sim (non-removable sim) and requires a $19.95 a month subscription to use it beyond Bluetooth/Wi-Fi.

much better options that you can pop your own sim into only when you want to use it, like this one:https://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Hangang-Generation-Waterproof-Tracking/dp/B07BQVXCR8/

or this one:https://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Anti-Theft-Vehicles-Anti-Lost-Children/dp/B09CLWRHDG/

either will take a third party sim.
Yes, the Cube tracker mentioned by the OP requires a monthly subscription. The Tracki and Trackimo mentioned by GlueckAuf also require a hefty monthly subscription fee.

The two trackers mentioned by Alex are 2G only. They work with TMobile and TMo MVNOs but presumably 2G service will be discontinued at some point in the near future. They have been saying it will soon be discontinued for several years yet 2G is still working. Best deal I've seen is the $5 per month from SpeedTalk.

I'm not sure why there are not more 4G trackers. They could be used with the free FreedomPop sim. I thought I found one, bought this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202898678340. It works fine with the FreedomPop sim but I was disappointed with the GPS, too often it would not track. The seller is a nice guy who flies drones and he sent me a replacement, but same result.

Be careful when buying a tracker, I've seen ads for a "4G Tracker" that were actually just 2G.

For rockets 3" or more in diameter, a good alternative is to just buy a used older Android phone (e.g., Google Nexus 5) for around $40, then stick it into the rocket's payload bay and use it with the free FreedomPop sim. You can then track the rocket with Google's Find My Phone app or Jason Cook's free Insane Rocketry app (which also provides flight data).

Of course, these only work if you have cell service at your launch site. I've used them at all major Florida club launch sites, no problem at any of them.

Good luck, let us know if you try any tracker.

Last edited:
I've been using a dog tracker as my rocket tracker for about 18 months now. This is an interim solution pending my rocket buddy's completion of his own design for a tracker & performance data product in the US$35 cost bracket.

The tracker has both 4G and GPS location to an app on your phone. In-built sim service requiring and annual AU$140 subscription, which would feel better if all monthly launches had actually taken place last year. Earned it's annual subscription very quickly after a mid air CATO deposited the AU$400 assembly (rocket+JLCR+Altimeter+Chute+CTI 6G case) in a fully grown corn field.

1641527765038.png

Will your buddy be offering his tracker and performance data product to any other rocketeers?
I believe his intention, after running with a few test ones and tweaking the design, is to publish the design for any interested folks to have it made to order out of China. Software de-bugging stage at the moment.

Locked sim (non-removable sim) and requires a $19.95 a month subscription to use it beyond Bluetooth/Wi-Fi.

much better options that you can pop your own sim into only when you want to use it, like this one:https://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Hangang-Generation-Waterproof-Tracking/dp/B07BQVXCR8/

or this one:https://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Anti-Theft-Vehicles-Anti-Lost-Children/dp/B09CLWRHDG/

either will take a third party sim.

Those are both 2G devices. 2G is being sundowned. In the US, AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint have already shut down 2G and T-Mobile will shut it down December of this year. Not sure if there are any small carriers that might still have it, but I doubt it. 2G is already gone in Canada, Australia, and China. There is about 2 years left in most of Europe. The rest of the world is spotty with a few carriers in some 2nd & 3rd world countries keeping it for 2 - 3 more years.

Forgive me if this has been discussed previously...

Visiting my daughter over the holidays, a person who loves her dogs, she mentioned the collars they have that notify an app on their phones when the dogs go away from their house and give their gps locations. I was thinking they have to be using a cell network for this, and then I was thinking this would be great for rocketry use if your launch field is within cell network range. You would get gps coordinates on your phone when the rocket lands! I don't think they are overly expensive since they are made for dogs and not for a limited hobby like rockets.
I would be skeptical of the range. Also battery life and other factors. I use the missile works t3 tiny telemetry tracker

I bought a Tractive cat collar awhile back to use as a backup, it doesn't work anywhere that I launch. I do have a cat that really likes to wander, so I may use it on him... but if you've ever seen a cat do "get this collar off me" calisthenics, I'm guessing that it won't stay on him for long.

I wonder if enough CA would work, as long as you use the accelerator?
Ouch. I'm saying that from experience. I was using CA on my motor mount so the centering rings would stay in place while I epoxied them, got some on my hands, and when I sprayed that accelerator. It felt like I was fingering Satan

I wonder if enough CA would work, as long as you use the accelerator?
Ouch. I'm saying that from experience. I was using CA on my motor mount so the centering rings would stay in place while I epoxied them, got some on my hands, and when I sprayed that accelerator. It felt like I was fingering satan

I bought a Tractive cat collar awhile back to use as a backup, it doesn't work anywhere that I launch. I do have a cat that really likes to wander, so I may use it on him... but if you've ever seen a cat do "get this collar off me" calisthenics, I'm guessing that it won't stay on him for long.
Chris! You of all people should know to stick with specific, dedicated Rf rocket trackers! ;);) Kurt

I have used the Garmin Astro collar and GPS and it works well for rockets down to 54mm. I have tested its range laying directly on the ground out to 3 miles with an Arrow Electronics 3 element yagi. One used to be able to find some deals on eBay.

Back