Dog Barf Wadding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Couple of questions:

1. About how much do you use?

2. How dense should you pack it?

2. Just the DB, or do you include any wadding?

Thanx

I use it all the time. For smaller rockets I just toss some in, not
packed just loose to take up the room. For larger types like the Executioner I may use one or two pieces of wadding just to form a pocket so I don't have to pour a bunch in. Remember the purpose, to protect the chute. So put enough in so you feel comfortable that it's providing that coverage, it doesn't take more then a handful or two if you want more insurance....
Besides, as you've found out, it's cheap!!! Especially compared to wadding.

Its cheaper than dirt. I usually buy mine from the lumber supply place and it comes compressed in a pretty large rectangle. I just knead the stuff with my hands a bit, and it seems to fluff out enough. I love the stuff. I still have about 1.5 trash bags filled with the stuff....for $4 or $5.

I keep my bail in a plastic garbage can with a lid I bought for like $3 on sale.

That is the only way to keep it "under control".

Otherwise it goes everywhere.

sandman

I also love dog barf. I usually do one body caliber fairly packed ( not loose, but between loose and what the bale is) and then two calibers on top of the packed one that are totally loose. Then I throw my chute in a nomex/kevlar chute protector and I'm happy to go. Some say I'm paranoid.

Edward

for any rocket smaller than 54mm, I just toss in a couple of clumps. 54mm - 2.56" gets a fist full, and a "pinch." For 3" I put in 1.5 fists, and for 4" I put in 2 fists sometimes 3.

Currently working on a 5.5" that I will have to play around with to see how much to use in it.

I was once told the general rule of thumb is two calibers thick. Normally I'll place one sheet of paper wadding in the bottom, or if the tube is large enough, a crumpled sheet in the top of the motor mount tube, then fill with barf until I feel comfortable. You want it to be loose enough to be blown out, but not so loose that the ejection charge just goes right up the middle and still melts the chute, which is why I leave some of it in clumps.

"Harvest" it from your attic. If you have blown in attic insulation, and it is grey-ish in color, (If your house is less than 15 yrs old) then that's more than likely what you have.

My "new" house was buit in 1969, so I unfotunately have blown in fiberglass. My "old" house, built in 1999 had dog barf.

Question: on occasion, I look at my rocket after recovery and find that the dog barf is still in the rocket. I don't think I packed it very tightly, and I used a decent amount for the diameter. The chute deployed perfectly, no burns or singes on the shock cord. Am I packing too tightly? Loosley? Too much?

Sounds like you packed it just enough for it to serve as a baffle.

I also have manny expeiences in which it will still be in the rocket. if it wasent so cheep i would save the stuff:D also I think it happens alot. Up here whare i fly at Bong I see small piles of the stuff al over the place, so i dont thin kits that uncomon that it stays in there after flight. I do prefer Nomex though. I dont get dog barff all over the truck so i dont get yelled at by my dad. :D

I too have had the experience with a small rocket that didn't eject the barf. It did, however, pick up a distinctly "singed" smell to it. The rocket itself was fine, as was the streamer/ shock cord, which deployed perfectly. Guess I know how much constitutes a baffle now!

WW

Love it. Use it all the time. Just grab it out of the bag and stick in the rocket. 2x the diameter of the tube is the rule I use. Never have any problems, and frankly never noticed any of the things mentioned.

Originally posted by Chr$
"Harvest" it from your attic. If you have blown in attic insulation, and it is grey-ish in color, (If your house is less than 15 yrs old) then that's more than likely what you have.

My "new" house was buit in 1969, so I unfotunately have blown in fiberglass. My "old" house, built in 1999 had dog barf.

LOL! Sounds messy to be going into an attic to try and scrape up some dog barf. How about this - buy the $6 bale, put it IN or near the attic door, and fill-er-up as you need it. :D That's just too funny.... - "harvest". haha

Yeah, eventually I'll get around to buying a bale. Good place to keep it. Hmm... I never thought of storing a bale of attic insulation in the attic. SOmetimes the simplest answers are right over out Head LOL.

Flyng at "Bong". That one cracks me up every time. Brings Cheech and Chong to mind. LOL.

Flyng at "Bong". That one cracks me up every time. Brings Cheech and Chong to mind. LOL.

The bigger question for the scratchbuilders is:

Who can now build a flying bong? A H powered hookah?

Boggles the mind...

Bong State Recreation Area is funny enough. Just imagine if that land had been used for its original purpose:

Bong Air Force Base. :D

(BTW, Richard Bong was the US's all-time Ace of Aces, flying a P-38 and shooting down 40 enemy planes in the Pacific theater during WWII. He was from Wisconsin, which is why the Air Force base was going to be named after him. He died the day the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, test-piloting Lockheed's first jet fighter.)

Not to make fun of the historical aspects...
and I've said it before...

Sounds like a place where you can fly rockets really "high"

....O.K....it was funnier the first time...

LOL.....sorry.

It is blown insulation generally used in attics. You can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot. It costs next to nothing and it is more effective than the Estes tissue wadding.

I'll let you use some at the next launch which I believe is on July 17th. I've got plenty.:)

Oh remember that gray fuzzy stuff that I was loading into my Tres? That's blown insulation otherwise known to the rocketry community as "dog barf".

Thanks Donald. Ill look around to see if I can find some.

Dan

I pack my rockets like I do the washing machine... not over packed but just enough to make sure there's no big air pockets...

Of course my wife says I pack the washing machine too tightly... but my rockets do well (when I don't forget the 'chute (yes again, I just get too excited on launch day!))

heh. It always cracks me up when I see the road sign "Bong Recreation Area" on the way to the launch. You see that sign on many humor websites.

It always cracks me up when I see the road sign "Bong Recreation Area"

I live on "ROACH ROAD"

We haven't had a road sign in years!

Always seems to dissapear in the night.

sandman

Back